Is a '69 AMX considered a mopar A-body?

-

cojohnso

Reaction score
Looking at a possible next project. I don't know alot about AMX. But am intrigued of its history. The 390 is gone. Now has a 360. (Which also confuses me. How come a Mopar SB where a mid Ford once sat?)

00g0g_cqgUdaD1Yra_1200x900.jpg

Unless someone swapped in a mopar 360 in, it's probably an AMC 360.

The AMC 390 is also very different than a Ford 390. It most likely had an AMC 390

Unless someone swapped in a mopar 360 in, it's probably an AMC 360.

The AMC 390 is also very different than a Ford 390. It most likely had an AMC 390
See. I learned something new in 5 min. But the 360 distributor is in Mopar 360 location. Was AMC the same?

One quick way to tell if it is a mopar 360 or an AMC 360 is look where the distributor is located.

Even better post some engine compartment pics :)

It is NOT a mopar A body BTW

I'm guessing trying to find an AMC 390 will be a nightmare?

Oh. And I have no SB experience. I'm on my 2nd GTX. All my Mopars BB. so yes, big gap in knowledge base

No. It's not even technically a Mopar. It's an American Motors Product. The only reason people claim American Motors products as Mopar is because the Chrysler corporation bought out American Motors so they could get the Jeep brand.

It could still be a 390 but that for SURE is an AMC engine.

If you look behind the motor mount you will see numbers corresponding with engine size.

ALL amc engines are small block and all appear similar, kinda like pontiacs. Only true way to know is look behind the motor mounts

engineblockID3.jpg

It could still be a 390 but that for SURE is an AMC engine.

If you look behind the motor mount you will see numbers corresponding with engine size.

ALL amc engines are small block and all appear similar, kinda like pontiacs. Only true way to know is look behind the motor mounts

View attachment 1715360772
That makes sense. Then it is very different than Ford 390.

What about rearend and transmission? (As you can tell. I haven’t looked at it in person yet. But might like to know what the hell I'm looking at?)

This is going to be foreign to me. A bigger learning curve that I should consider.

Here's a good article from Hot Rod about AMC engines. AMC V8 Block Engine - Mopar Muscle Magazine

Even though they are all the same external dimensions, it's pretty much a given in the AMC world that the 390 and 401 are considered their big blocks, just from the performance standpoint of the 390 and the cubic inches of the 401.

The 390 was much like the Chrysler 340 in that it came only one way. Hot. That was the AMC performance engine.

This is going to be foreign to me. A bigger learning curve that I should consider.

AMC used some of all of the "big three's stuff" in their cars. Starters from Ford, distributors from the Delco division of General Motors, Torqueflite transmissions from Chrysler and Turbo Hydramatics from General Motors. They also used Borg Warner manual transmissions, AMC corporate and Dana rear ends. Yes, you have a learning curve, but buy a factory service manual and that will make it "less curvy".

AMC's are cool cars but Renault bought a major share of the company and Chrysler Corp bought them out
(basically to acquire Jeep) and AMC (Rambler) was dissolved. In reality, Rambler/AMC never was a division of Chrysler Corp.

Some nut case in North Carolina has an AMC junkyard that used to be an AMC dealership. I am sure a gold plated 390 could be found there, under the weeds and vines.
AMC NC.JPG

AMC 390 is not that hard to find. Check the front end for damage, hood is from a Javlin.

The 390 wasn't bad but............................................
390[edit]
The 390 cu in (6.4 L) AMC V8 produced 325 hp (330 PS; 242 kW) and 420 lb⋅ft (569 N⋅m; 58 kg⋅m) of torque in all except the Rebel Machine. This muscle car engine was rated at 340 hp (345 PS; 254 kW) and 430 lb⋅ft (583 N⋅m; 59 kg⋅m) of torque due to a different intake. Production only lasted one year (1970) before it was stroked to become the 401 cu in (6.6 L). Like the Gen-2, the maximum factory recommended overbore is only 0.02 in (0.51 mm), though they are commonly bored 0.03 in (0.76 mm).

The 390 wasn't bad but............................................
390[edit]
The 390 cu in (6.4 L) AMC V8 produced 325 hp (330 PS; 242 kW) and 420 lb⋅ft (569 N⋅m; 58 kg⋅m) of torque in all except the Rebel Machine. This muscle car engine was rated at 340 hp (345 PS; 254 kW) and 430 lb⋅ft (583 N⋅m; 59 kg⋅m) of torque due to a different intake. Production only lasted one year (1970) before it was stroked to become the 401 cu in (6.6 L). Like the Gen-2, the maximum factory recommended overbore is only 0.02 in (0.51 mm), though they are commonly bored 0.03 in (0.76 mm).

I thought I read AMC made a SS build of the 390 in '69. Dual quads. Solid lift cam? Head work (Although I believe they were race only.) But that build would make for a hell of a scary street car.

I though I read AMC made a SS build of the 390 in '69. Dual quads. Solid lift cam? Head work (Although I believe they were race only.) But that build would make for a hell of a scary street car.
You found one? If not there is no cred here. All the manufacturers had factory built race machines. And no, a AMC is not a Mopar.

You found one? If not there is no cred here. All the manufacturers had factory built race machines. And no, a AMC is not a Mopar.
No. In fact I don't believe it's a 390. (At least that's what the guy is saying.) And I'm not looking for "Cred?" Information at this point. And options on what to do with a '69 AMX non numbers matching?

I'm willing to bet aftermarket is limited for AMC blocks. But have to start somewhere. And I thought I would throw it here in A-body forum. I also have a B and E body. But they may be even more particular to their body styles forms.

Last edited:
-
Back