Is A New Chrsyler A Patriotic Purchase?

-

seabee

Reaction score
A couple months back we were looking for a new car for the wife. I overly-research everything, especially large purchases, and some of my criteria were how "American" each car was. There's a lot more grey area than expected when considering this. Eventually, all research went out the window when the Wife chose the car she wanted, a Nissan Maxima. I knew the car was made in Tennessee so it wasn't as bad of a sting to my "merca" ego when she picked it but it was not high on my list either.

Shortly after, my neighbor was talking about getting a new car too. He made the dig "I only buy American Though". He recently bought a Chrysler 300 which is made in Canada, engine from Mexico, and a subsidiary of Fiat.

Besides the Dodge Ram and a few other in the lineup I'm having a hard time justifying Chrysler as a "Merca" brand anymore, even though they still use the "Imported From Detroit" pitch.

I was reading an article yesterday about cars that had the most 'made in america' about them. Only dodge on that list was the avenger there were a couple fords on the list and the rest were all foreign brands

Toyota camry is rated the top car for American made. The top ten list has 5 Toyotas, 1 honda, 1 Chrysler and the Ford F150. It's pretty sad but the truth. I bought parts from gm that was made in china. To buy 100% American good luck!!!

Well Canada and Mexico are American still technically........North American(as in the continent) :)

ps: I knew what you ment, just a little Dig and a loophole somebody I'am sure would have tossed in here eventually:)

The "Japanese" cars are more made in America than some of the traditional American brands these days. I don't get too bent on the American thing since there are many "foreign" brands with American factories and American brands with foreign factories.

Ever heard of a Global economy?
Does it make a difference that the Nissan you bought, supplies money for a non-Christian home office?
It is hard to buy anything based off of where it was built or parts supplied for it.
When NAFTA was approved, you could hear the manufactures leaving.
So, good luck finding anything made in the good ole U S of A.

Ever heard of a Global economy?
Does it make a difference that the Nissan you bought, supplies money for a non-Christian home office?
It is hard to buy anything based off of where it was built or parts supplied for it.
When NAFTA was approved, you could hear the manufactures leaving.
So, good luck finding anything made in the good ole U S of A.

Can you explain further the Non-Christian Home Base part further? Do you mean the Company or the Country/Society?

Can you explain further the Non-Christian Home Base part further? Do you mean the Company or the Country/Society?

Your money is supporting a non-Christian belief company.
Some point out the jobs created by these type of car companies as a benifit.
But the Devil comes in many forms.

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick on this but WTF is "Merca"?

Secondly, while Fiat may have put based Chrysler, it doesn't make Chrysler any less American than it did before when it was first purchased by another company from over seas.
It is now jus a matter of where the money goes after purchase. Some, goes to Fiat.
Now do some research to who owns Fiat.
Also, the percentage of part made in America that go into the vehicle may only be ethier assembled here by of over seas parts or just simply made overseas a d installed by Americans.

As long as there is a good quality control inplace, anything made any where can and will be good. I have gotten some of the mos excellent parts from Mexico, Canada a d yes, even China, Tiwan, Napan and India. Crap can be made anywhere just as well as a quality part can be made.

Nissan made the guns that the japanese soldiers used against American soldiers. How patriotic is that Maxima now?

Nissan made the guns that the japanese soldiers used against American soldiers. How patriotic is that Maxima now?
I'm with breakstuff.
Besides, I don't own any new cars. All our vehicles say "Chrysler Corporation. Made In USA".

Your mileage may vary.

George

Don't recall saying it was

That's a good point though. Let's apply the same to Chrysler Corp.

Fiat: Axis Power manufacturer of tanks, guns, and aircraft during WW2
Fiatg_50-px800.jpg

M1340CentroRadioDet

23284.png

fiat-br-20-bomber.jpg

Daimler
Axis Manufacturer and Fuher favorite made Panzer Tanks, Lufwaffe aircraft engines, and much much more. About as Nazi as Nazi could be.
Panzer-III-300x192.jpg

Bf109F-02-px800.jpg

Mitsubishi. WW2 Manufacturer of the famous Zero and tanks.
221251.jpg

136191778775.jpg

Nissan puts dinner on families tables right here, in this country. My friend, who is as American as they come, drives a Dodge cummins to work, built his '69 Coronet with money he earned and won from winning bowling championships, works at a Nissan dealership and has since he left tech school. My brother and his friends from high school work at a Toyota dealership. That's NOW. WWII is over.

Why I will NEVER own a new car;

1. I think locally, therefore, I am. It affects me directly to buy locally.

2. I prefer to put the money into the 2nd hand market.

3. New cars suck. But the fuel economy, Dave! The FUEL ECONOMY. Don't believe me? Check MPG on a '93 Suzuki Swift/ Geo Metro or a Honda CRX and compare it to a Prius. No port injection on the Metro. Just missing all of the computers, motors, batteries and the wiring harness that weighs over 100lbs by itself. Not with computers. I pulled an anaconda of a harness from a new Buick rollover we parted out for an engine and interior swap, that I had a difficult time carrying to the scrap trailer by myself, and I'm 6'5" @ 210.

4. For the same money, I could drive anything I wanted, new engine, trans and finished product included.

5. New cars are ugly. Don't think so? How cool would it be to make the front of a new Charger look like a '68 like that magazine cover everyone saw... How cool would it be if I grafted a new Charger front end on my '68?

Even if the car is built in the US, parts are supplied everywhere. HECHO EN MEXICO is right on the side of every single new gen hemi block produced. Ramos Arizpe Foundry and Assembly Plant.

Check MPG on a '93 Suzuki Swift/ Geo Metro or a Honda CRX and compare it to a Prius.

two are econo boxes. hell the crx is a 2 seater. the prius is a lot bigger than both the other ones and has power closer to v-6 power then a tiny 4cy. not really sure where you are going with a not so fair comparison.

htup_0804_16_z2+jdm_1991_honda_crx_sir+rear_side_view.jpg

Suzuki-swift-gti_bfb43.jpg

Toyota-Prius.jpg

A lot of Jap cars are assembled here with parts made in Japan! That does not make it an American car. Remember Pearl Harbor!

In my unstable opinion the questions should be:
  • Is it a "good" product?
  • Does it fit my needs/requirements (as a vehicle)?
  • Does the company that produces it deserve to stay in business?
  • How much & what components are produced domestically?
  • Does this car offer good value for the money?
  • Can I afford it?/Am I willing to go into the best credit agreement I can get to afford it?

I believe people buy new cars only because of their credit, I myself have credit but would never buy a new car just because I have credit. There are so many great high dollar low mileage used cars which go up in value compared to new cars which will never gain in it's cost ever, so why waste your credit and money...

My 2011 Jeep has 80% parts sourced from the USA, body made in Belvidere, Illinois, engine in Dundee, Michigan, and manual transmission in Detroit. Per the current agreement with Fiat, all profits stay in North America.

And Chrysler also puts food on dinner tables here, with around 40,000 employees here in the USA.

-
Back