Is anyone else "touchy" about their Mopar? (long rant...)

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
No real point to this thread except to vent about an experience and to get a sense of whether or not you guys have felt like this before...

The local cruise night is always a really good time and it has been a part of my summer Mondays for decades. These days, I work full time and I also went back for grad school which in addition to classes, also requires a metric-****-ton of internship hours which are taking forever to get through and I'm just never free on weekday nights anymore. I hadn't been able to go to the show at all but this week, I cleared my schedule (at great expense) because it was the Mopar theme night and I just didn't want to miss out.

So my Dart is what it is. It's a driver, a work in progress, original/worn paint, original/decent interior, etc. In terms of appearance, it's a bit below-average for the quality of cars that show up for this cruise night but it's not bad for a 45 year old/driven/unrestored car and I'm still proud of it. In any case, I've put everything I've got into it in terms of time, money, blood, sweat, tears. It has been in my life since I was 17 years old (I'm 40 now) and it's practically a family member at this point.

The engine bay in my car isn't pretty. No chrome, no shine...and I'm fine with that. It's a bit dusty and scraped up but objectively, it's not even that bad...even if it hasn't gotten cosmetic attention since the engine swap. This kind of thing is very low on my priority list and to that point, I almost always leave the hood down if I bring it anywhere... but I happened to have it open when I first got there to help it cool down after sitting in traffic waiting to get in to the show.

Which makes me wonder why I turned into Arnie from "Christine" when fellow A-body owner took the opportunity to be a total d*** about it. I was checking out/drooling on the Hellcat that parked next to me and this guy didn't know the Sport was mine. He stands there in front of my car, pointing at the engine bay, shakes his head, chuckles and says to me "this looks terrible, look at this sh--... I'd be embarrassed to show this!" etc.

Well, he might as well have kicked my dog. I felt a flash of anger, I walked over, looked him in the eye and I told him to "go eff himself" (but I used the actual word!) and to get away from my car.

I'm absolutely not a violent nor angry person, I really never get emotional at all (which is probably part of the problem...) but for some reason this pushed my button hard. Naturally, he got defensive and said "well I have a right to my opinion" to which I replied "...and I have a right to tell you to eff-off" and that was pretty much it as he waddled away.

I felt regret immediately after! He's an older guy who doesn't seem to take care of himself and he probably has a pretty sad life... However, he does have a pretty damn nice orange '73 Duster 340. I know this because the first time that I met him a few years back, he was strangely sarcastic and rude when I asked a question about his setup when checking it out and admiring it and I've avoided him ever since. I'm sure that he didn't remember me as he was pretty surprised when I confronted him.

The rest of the night was fine. 99% of the people who go to this show are friendly and supportive wherever you are with your project and got to talk with a lot of good people about their cars. There were some amazing Mopars to check out and I got to catch up with some friends...but that exchange has stuck with me and really put a damper on what I hoped would be a highlight of my summer.

Has anyone else had this experience? Anyone else have that immediate sense of regret? I know I'll see this guy again and my inclination is to offer a handshake and put it behind us but he really seems to be rotten dude and I'm not sure if I want to bother. I guess I'll just go back to ignoring him.

arnie.jpg

has nothing to do with your car and everything with his lack of social skills
nowadays people dont care about putting in the effort to build something themselves, because it is easier to tear someone else down

as long as your engine bay was body colored and not black, it was uncalled for

stir.gif

I would have just chuckled with him and said "yeah, got some work ahead of me" with a smile. Then add "but I kind of like the patina, so maybe i'll leave it" and let him stumble for words after choking on his own foot :)

It's obvious he would have felt stupid because he didn't know the car was yours.

I LOVE original paint cars !! Nothing cooler. If it's really crummy under the hood, PLEASE paint it black !!! Piss off all the rest of the snobs in this hobby.

My engine and tranny and rear end took all my money. I need body work, but it's not bad. I still hear that stuff. One guy was drooling at my car. "I love the motor! 408 stroker?! The interior is awesome! I love the hood scoop! What tranny are you running?" " I have a GM 200 4R overdrive. " He stares at me and throws his arms up and hisses at me. Then he turns and walks away. He stops, looks back and throws his arms up again. I was pissed. I said " where's your car asshole? Build your own. I'll build mine the way I like it!" I guess I pissed off the Mopar Gods by putting a GM part in my car.

I'm building my car to make me happy, not for someone else's approval. It's got some rough spots but I built it and am still in the process of building it as time and money allow. I see a lot of new mustangs and hellcats at shows, I get it they are probably the owners pride and joy. I can go to the dealers lot and see the same thing. The cars that always get my attention though are the ones I know someone has put the effort into building themselves instead of just buying it.

No real point to this thread except to vent about an experience and to get a sense of whether or not you guys have felt like this before...

The local cruise night is always a really good time and it has been a part of my summer Mondays for decades. These days, I work full time and I also went back for grad school which in addition to classes, also requires a metric-****-ton of internship hours which are taking forever to get through and I'm just never free on weekday nights anymore. I hadn't been able to go to the show at all but this week, I cleared my schedule (at great expense) because it was the Mopar theme night and I just didn't want to miss out.

So my Dart is what it is. It's a driver, a work in progress, original/worn paint, original/decent interior, etc. In terms of appearance, it's a bit below-average for the quality of cars that show up for this cruise night but it's not bad for a 45 year old/driven/unrestored car and I'm still proud of it. In any case, I've put everything I've got into it in terms of time, money, blood, sweat, tears. It has been in my life since I was 17 years old (I'm 40 now) and it's practically a family member at this point.

The engine bay in my car isn't pretty. No chrome, no shine...and I'm fine with that. It's a bit dusty and scraped up but objectively, it's not even that bad...even if it hasn't gotten cosmetic attention since the engine swap. This kind of thing is very low on my priority list and to that point, I almost always leave the hood down if I bring it anywhere... but I happened to have it open when I first got there to help it cool down after sitting in traffic waiting to get in to the show.

Which makes me wonder why I turned into Arnie from "Christine" when fellow A-body owner took the opportunity to be a total d*** about it. I was checking out/drooling on the Hellcat that parked next to me and this guy didn't know the Sport was mine. He stands there in front of my car, pointing at the engine bay, shakes his head, chuckles and says to me "this looks terrible, look at this sh--... I'd be embarrassed to show this!" etc.

Well, he might as well have kicked my dog. I felt a flash of anger, I walked over, looked him in the eye and I told him to "go eff himself" (but I used the actual word!) and to get away from my car.

I'm absolutely not a violent nor angry person, I really never get emotional at all (which is probably part of the problem...) but for some reason this pushed my button hard. Naturally, he got defensive and said "well I have a right to my opinion" to which I replied "...and I have a right to tell you to eff-off" and that was pretty much it as he waddled away.

I felt regret immediately after! He's an older guy who doesn't seem to take care of himself and he probably has a pretty sad life... However, he does have a pretty damn nice orange '73 Duster 340. I know this because the first time that I met him a few years back, he was strangely sarcastic and rude when I asked a question about his setup when checking it out and admiring it and I've avoided him ever since. I'm sure that he didn't remember me as he was pretty surprised when I confronted him.

The rest of the night was fine. 99% of the people who go to this show are friendly and supportive wherever you are with your project and got to talk with a lot of good people about their cars. There were some amazing Mopars to check out and I got to catch up with some friends...but that exchange has stuck with me and really put a damper on what I hoped would be a highlight of my summer.

Has anyone else had this experience? Anyone else have that immediate sense of regret? I know I'll see this guy again and my inclination is to offer a handshake and put it behind us but he really seems to be rotten dude and I'm not sure if I want to bother. I guess I'll just go back to ignoring him.

View attachment 1715216763

Just give him the finger every time you see him.
My engine bay looks kinda trashy, but I have a mildish 5.9 magnum with a 42RH over drive.
I told one guy to bring his car out and I'd run him out into the desert a couple hundred miles, chase him down, run him out of gas and then drive home and leave his smart *** out in the desert.:D

My engine and tranny and rear end took all my money. I need body work, but it's not bad. I still hear that stuff. One guy was drooling at my car. "I love the motor! 408 stroker?! The interior is awesome! I love the hood scoop! What tranny are you running?" " I have a GM 200 4R overdrive. " He stares at me and throws his arms up and hisses at me. Then he turns and walks away. He stops, looks back and throws his arms up again. I was pissed. I said " where's your car asshole? Build your own. I'll build mine the way I like it!" I guess I pissed off the Mopar Gods by putting a GM part in my car.

I don't blame you one bit for being pissed. Even if we can tell ourselves that the opinions of complete strangers don't matter, there's still something uniquely infuriating about when it applies to your car...right?

Good to hear that you built it with your own vision. I am sure that GM unit (with the wonderful and badly needed overdrive ratio :D ) is serving you well.

45 year old/driven/unrestored car and I'm still proud of it. In any case, I've put everything I've got into it in terms of time, money, blood, sweat, tears. It has been in my life since I was 17 years old (I'm 40 now) and it's practically a family member at this point.

This is all that really matters. It's highly likely that he bought and paid for all the work done to his car. He may have built some of it, but I doubt it. If he did, he would not have said that. He would know where it came from.

He was a DICK. Maybe he learned a little something that day.........but I doubt that too.

I guess I pissed off the Mopar Gods by putting a GM part in my car.

I know what you mean. I've gotten the same reaction when I've been asked what tranny I'm going to be using (I'm also going to use the 200-4R).
I even got that reaction one time when asked what color the engine is going to be! Not all Mopar engines have to be Hemi orange. My paint is going to be Viper Red and orange is just going to wash out against it.
Like you, I'm building my car for me - not the rest of the world.

Some people are just dicks! You did nothing wrong in my opinion. I'd have been the same way or worse. I'm pretty laid back, but when someone jabs at my car or anyone else's, it pisses me off. Who is he to judge you or your car? I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Cley

Some folks feel the need to criticize others to make themselves feel better. Sounds like the guy who was checking out your car has the need to start with negative comments when opening his mouth.

OP, I feel your pain, many times been in your predicament, all of life is just a stage. Nothing I would like better is to show up in my professionally restored concurs correct convertible Hemi Cuda.
No, it's never going to happen, I make the very best of what I have and damn proud of my accomplishments. For most people to belittle someone else tells me, they are looking for futile ways to better themselves, and lack the qualities to become human. I feel more drawn-ed to the survivor cars and the weekend warrior types. I have a very small appetite for the new machines, I am sorry but if you have the money..... you can buy anything and show it.
I enjoy the fact, when I change out the gas tank, carb, brakes, upgraded the ignition, and many other tasks, I can talk about it, been there and done that, let me help you through it. Now on the other hand if you have the cash and willing to pay others to elevate your needs, lucky you.......

Try " a guy must have a mighty small dick to say something like that".

Haha, there's probably truth to that too. Likely a low self-esteem issue. He has to put down other people's stuff to feel better about himself. Same goes for the jerk complaining about the choice of OD transmission.

as long as your engine bay was body colored and not black, it was uncalled for
View attachment 1715216767

Hey, my engine compartment is black. And I have no problem popping the hood at shows Mopar themed or otherwise. Any purists have a beef with that, to bad! They have no idea how far the old girl has come since my daughters and I took it home that first day. LOL! Cool cars are cool cars, cool people are cool people, and I appreciate both. Some folks just suck and I don't waste time thinking about anything they say or do. There are plenty of decent car enthusiasts at the cruise nights/shows to chat and hang with.

Be well,
Pat

*** (Disclaimer - My Duster's engine bay was black when I bought it. Someday when I need/decide to pull the motor, I am planning on going body color with it! Until then I plan to continue to drive the wheels off it and show it any chance I get!)

Has anyone else had this experience? Anyone else have that immediate sense of regret?
Your not alone. Your feeling of regret is because you are a good guy. You reacted because you felt like someone said one of your kids was messy. I think anyone would have felt that way.

My dart was my dad's daily driver for 30 years and then mostly sat in the garage for the next 20. The engine compartment is stock and has 51 years of dust and dirt in places. The bone heads who rebuilt the engine 25 years ago painted it blue from its OE red. The body doesn't have a straight panel on it, paint is chipped off on all sides. The interior has a seam that let go on the drivers seat. I have polished some of the chrome / AL / Stainless (couldn't that have just picked with one!) The top is more patches than top.

This is my second year taking the car to the local Mopar only car show. I am always a bit uneasy parking next to the 50-60K GTX or other beautiful cars. BUT to all the d-bags out there like the a-hole who commented on your baby, I have only one thing to say...

20180828_081110.jpg

I haven't attended much for shows or cruises. Mostly because I'm busy, and I don't have a car even operational. I haven't for years. You have every right to be pissed, but to be frank, you parked it for the public to review, and a lot of the public are assholes. My cars, when I did have them, were always daily drivers too and showed not only battle scars, but also the ingenuity and lack of budget the situation demanded. I did occasionally get crap, usually from higher dollar people with done cars that were only fair weather cruisers. I would have stayed step for step and given that guy a rash of **** all the way back to his car, critiquing his every thread of clothes, movement of body, whatever until he faced me and told me to leave him alone... So I'd say you took the high road regardless...lol. Drive your car and enjoy it. **** him.

I've had people criticize my cars over the years... I generally ask "Where is your car?" and "Let's go over and take a look at it". That always shuts them up.

He will park his car next to high end body shop restored E body and that guy won’t even give him the time of day. That happens to me all the time.

Dude, I love seeing guys show up in their "survivor" or "sleeper" cars (whatever u want to call them).
I feel like those cars have alot of personality. There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed about a work in progress. I know youre not ashamed, but this guy was clearly shaming your car.
Its okay for him to have an opinion, but he didnt have to say it like that. Or if your car was not his thing, just move on and dont say ****!
Your story also reminds me of the abundant amount of wannabe SOA Harley guys out there who bash anything thats not HD. I ride a Victory, and before that Yamaha and Honda. Ive taken crap from these guys for years and I used to react the way you did, but now I couldnt care less. Cuz I actually ride my bike usually over 10k miles a year in all weather (except ice). These dorks spend an hour dressing up like a pirate and spend 10 minutes riding down to the bar only when its exactly 74.5 degrees.

This thread gave me a chuckle and hit close to home. At the last coffee and cars I went to, I was amazed at the critiscism and near scorn because I was running the original 318 in my 68 barracuda. Yes my car has 3 different shades of faded primer and green. Yes my 318 uses a little oil. It's not fast, not slow either. It will spin the tires from a stand still without power braking, passing power on the highway is there when I need it from 60 to 80 and no kickdown due to a manual valve body, just full throttle and the torque is right there wheen I need it. Majority of the new to mopar guys with their challengers scoff at it not being a 340, I ask if they have ever owned either a 340 or a 318 and most of the time they say no. Funny, most compliments I get for my car comes from other brand owners, gm, Buick and the like. Here in 2 weeks i'll be attending the hotrodhundred in Oklahoma where we will be going from Oklahoma City to Tishomingo which is halfway to Dallas and meet with a car club from Dallas. Oh what shall I do knowing I'm making a 300 mile round trip in my lowly 318!

I look at it this way,.... some people are just jerks. I understand how you felt. Too many people only find interest in the perfect cars, and don't realize the time, money, and effort that go into them. I will say that not all of the jerks are people who paid someone else to do the work though.

Speaking as someone that is paying someone to build my Charger, I can say it isn't because I can't do it myself,.... well,... other than all the metal work it needed to be put back together (See my thread on FABO Frnknsteens '69 Charger project). In my case, I have had this car since 1987, and it was always a fight with my ex to even start on it as a project. In my case, I am now 51, and have had some heart issues. I want my car done NOW, while I can still enjoy it. I have my Barracuda that I tinker with and enjoy while the Charger is being rebuilt.

The point I am trying to make is that there are a lot of jerks out there. I have seen jerks that did all their own work that look down on others for not having the knowledge that they have. I have also seen people that don't have the mechanical abilities, pay someone to do all their work, and still somehow manage to look down on others like they had anything to do with the quality of their car.

I understand your regret for going off on him, and I would have a hard time not doing the same. Just remember it in the future and don't let those kind of people bring you down to their level. They just don't get what it means to be a decent person! I'd just tell them that you're sorry they don't approve and remind them that there are other nice cars around that they can go look at.

-
Back