Is anyone else "touchy" about their Mopar? (long rant...)

-
definitely not 100% of them , but the majority of the checkbook charger guys , the guys that don't build , they just buy their cars, are usually the assholes that walk around and bash on the cars that are actually being put together a little at a time by the folks who have a passion for them and don't use them as a status quo. mine is a rolling project, but because I couldn't afford to stick it on a rotisserie and start with a complete 15,000 $ paint job , I had to work from the inside out , essentially working backwards, but everything is pretty much done but the paint , and I invite the assholes to knock it because I built it myself and I didn't have to pay three times what it's worth to own it.

If that don`t work , blow their doors off and laugh at them !

Last year I took my 66 Valiant "race car" to a very large Mopar show in Florida. Entered "early "A" body modified" class. I only have about $2500 in the car. It is far from a show car. I only show it, because it is different, being a nitroused slant six race car. I was supprised, when I received a 4th place trophy, voted by the other entries in my class. They voted for my car, "because it was different, and a Hot Rod".

Sounds like some guys in Mobile this year.

Pulled into the first available spot next to some late model “Challenger” cars and they asked me to move cause it was saved for a Hellcat Demon, ok nothing marked it, so my brother says no problem, the big dog can have the spot. The guys got mouthy as we pulled away and went down to the end of another row. I ended up parked between two other late model challengers an R/T and a SRT. In the end they both thanked me parking there cause their cars would not have got any looks if we were not between them. There are “Good” Mopar folks and Mopar folks. Some spend 80k to buy in, and some spend 30k and lots of sweat to restore an old beauty. I will take the later in whatever stage their car is in!! The asses got awarded for nothing while the oldie did! Don’t loose your faith!

Last edited:
And to coin a phrase from another member here that was in Mobile.

“ if I wanted to see late Model Hellcats, Demons and Chargers, I could just go to the the local Dealer”!

Last edited:
I stopped going to shows/cruises years ago. I just build cars for my own enjoyment. Funny thing their are people in my little town that know every Mopar I have owned in the last 30 years. I wonder how the know?

I guess I could have supported you with my recently past driver........it was a driver, not a looker.

IMG_6452.JPG

Nope.
My engine compartment is black. I hear that crap at the track every once in awhile from on lookers. I just tell them to line up in the other lane. My Mom taught me to keep my mouth shut if I didn't have something nice to say. I guess I better be quiet now.

I can't blame you if the comment bothered you...but as I read it, you're proving his point. People get worked up about Mopars with black engine bays and when they do, it amounts to insufferable snobbery.

Geez...if they have such a problem with it, maybe they can sponsor you for the racing season and pay you enough to convince you to paint it whatever color they want. :D

If you are proud of it and want to show it, that's all that matters. I take my car to shows for people that want to see it. And the rest can walk on by. That is pretty much what I would have told him. No point in getting into it with an idiot. Cause that's what I think of anyone rude enough to say something like that. My car is a driveway restoration, slant six and I'm damn proud of it. It's painted now, but I started showing it right after I got it road legal before paint...
View attachment 1715216805

Yeah...I totally agree and I think this is the advice that I would give someone else who told a story like mine! Actually going through this was a whole different experience and I couldn't possibly take my own advice here.

I know I'm not alone when I say that this car matters to me on a personal level. No, it's not a living, feeling thing...but it might as well be. My old Dodge represents one of the consistently positive, happy parts of my whole life. It represents simpler, happier days. It represents countless fun drives, countless hours of work, bleeding knuckles, perpetual grime under my fingernails...huge frustration and success. It also represents thousands of regret-free hard earned dollars that "should have" gone into the retirement account. At no point did I think the guy's opinion actually mattered. I guess that I just couldn't tolerate his idiotic negativity touching something that important to me.

Your /6 Dart is exactly the kind of machine that I hope to see when I go to a cruise like this. Being able to appreciate and be inspired by what other guys (and gals...but usually guys) have been able to accomplish with their project cars is a really important and fun part of being a car nut.

Regardless of where we come from, who we vote for, what our favorite beer might be, which baseball team we're routing for...we all have an irrational love for these old machines in common. Finding that common ground is so valuable. I guess that's also part of the reason why it's so bitterly disappointing when one of our own turns out to be a complete asshat.

Last edited:
I can't blame you if the comment bothered you...but as I read it, you're proving his point. People get worked up about Mopars with black engine bays and when they do, it amounts to insufferable snobbery.

Geez...if they have such a problem with it, maybe they can sponsor you for the racing season and pay you enough to convince you to paint it whatever color they want. :D

Yeah...I totally agree and I think this is the advice that I would give someone else who told a story like mine! Actually going through this was a whole different experience and I couldn't possibly take my own advice here.

I know I'm not alone when I say that this car matters to me on a personal level. No, it's not a living, feeling thing...but it might as well be. My old Dodge represents one of the consistently positive, happy parts of my whole life. It represents simpler, happier days. It represents countless fun drives, countless hours of work, bleeding knuckles, perpetual grime under my fingernails...huge frustration and success. It also represents thousands of regret-free hard earned dollars that "should have" gone into the retirement account. At no point did I think the guy's opinion actually mattered. I guess that I just couldn't tolerate his idiotic negativity touching something that important to me.

Your /6 Dart is exactly the kind of machine that I hope to see when I go to a cruise like this. Being able to appreciate and be inspired by what other guys (and gals...but usually guys) have been able to accomplish with their project cars is a really important and fun part of being a car nut.

Regardless of where we come from, who we vote for, what our favorite beer might be, which baseball team we're routing for...we all have an irrational love for these old machines in common. Finding that common ground is so valuable. I guess that's also part of the reason why it's so bitterly disappointing when one of our own turns out to be a complete asshat.
Well said. I've made friends at the track who drive all makes, fast and slow, high $$$ to budget racers. Good people having fun and willing to help anyone who needs it. I'd paint the engine compartment just about any color a sponsor desired.

Trailer queens.
Car shows.

:D
Well, let's make the distinction between "car shows" and "cruise nights." This particular weekly cruise night is casual, relaxed and pretty permissive as to what they let in...sometimes that's good (lots of 50% finished projects and well worn survivors), sometimes that misses the point (looking at you, mister 100% stock 2014 Ford F150 :D ) 99.5% of the cars that show up are enthusiast machines anyway so it works out. In any case, very few real trailer queens show up. It's rare for there to be a vehicle in the show that someone didn't actually drive there.

Words I don't care but when someone is careless I get very touchy. Like not long ago a guy was loading up his car and had his door touching my Fury. I was polite but I don't think he'll ever do that again.

I’ve had a guy scratch my previous ‘71 Demon at a local car show the length of the rear quarter with a jean jacket button while walking scraping and checking out the car next to mine. It had very thin original paint. And another time when I had a 1917 Model T a woman yanking on the running board toolbox handle shaking the whole car, which was almost a 100 years old. I asked her what she was doing?!!! She said she was checking it out and what it was about - wtf. I despise taking my ‘73 Dart Sport 340 to shows for these reasons. People just don’t respect them. I will go to look at other cars and really only like going to Mopar only shows.

Last edited:
Not worth getting to pissed of about but i understand you,its your pride and joy just enjoy it :)

Everyone has an opinion. Unfortunately, the world has gotten to the point, politics included, that you either see things my way or there’s something wrong with your views, not mine. Anyone with deep pockets can buy a Hellcat and think they are king **** on turd mountain. I don’t go to many car shows because there are too many new cars-Challengers, Mustangs, and Camaros. Yes, they are cool, but I don’t consider them car show worthy, as I would rather see the older cars, ratty or not. Most people that drive Hellcats have never restored a car themselves, so they have no clue what it takes to rebuild one.

I am one of those who paints the engine bay black, but it does help the aluminum and polished aluminum stand out more, and I don't care what people say about it, my car my way, your car your way. Can't wait to get mine done and take it to some shows around here and see what people say.

JUST A JOKE>>>>

If the car is black is it OK to paint the engine compartment black?

If the car is black and I paint the engine compartment white will that piss off people?

REMEMBER JUST A JOKE>>>>>

JUST A JOKE>>>>

If the car is black and I paint the engine compartment white will that piss off people?

Do whatever you want with it,its your car,just make sure you paint the engine Fordblue.

Maybe if I paint my bay black, I can fake out the local bowtie boys to think its a customized Nova. Might have a chance of getting a few of their votes. LOL

This Fri will be the start of our mini vacation! The wife and I will drive to Brown's Auto salvage, Sunset Tx, 5 hours North, and pick up parts for the Toad, and hopefully will be able to wander around and see all his stuff! Ya gotta love it!! There just aren't many good old yards left! Then head over few hours East to Dallas (Garlan) and attend the Mopar show/swap there. I admit to never taking a car to a show, and like many say here, I am pretty picky about who I spend time visiting with. I too an drawn to the "real" people that love their cars. I am drawn more to the work in progress cars and the ones that most people see a not "collectable!." I rather look at slants than hemis, old or new!

... And another time when I had a 1917 Model T a woman yanking on the running board toolbox handle shaking the whole car, which was almost a 100 years old. I asked her what she was doing?!!! She said she was checking it out and what it was about - wtf. ....

What??! This is a person who should be immediately disinvited to any and all future car events anywhere.

Ok...Not everyone has the same appreciation for how to treat a car or in particular how to treat someone else's car but why the hell would one of these oblivious people show up at a cruise or car show? That's just crazy.

Maybe if I paint my bay black, I can fake out the local bowtie boys to think its a customized Nova. Might have a chance of getting a few of their votes. LOL
Just get a cowlhood and you're all set

MRGTX if this was at Mark's on Monday, I know the guy you are speaking of. His engine compartment doesn't look all that great either. Next time you are there go check it out and start pointing out all the crap that is wrong with it. I think he's basically an alright guy but does lack some "people skills".

JUST A JOKE>>>>

Don’t really care if you paint it white but please, PLEASE don’t build a high performance 318 for it

Remember: just a joke. Lol

What??! This is a person who should be immediately disinvited to any and all future car events anywhere.

Ok...Not everyone has the same appreciation for how to treat a car or in particular how to treat someone else's car but why the hell would one of these oblivious people show up at a cruise or car show? That's just crazy.
It is a local car show on Saturday night that the public visits in a Village town’s public parking lot. I’ve only brought my ‘73 Sport 340 once there. Too much anxiety for me and don’t like leaving it alone to look around.

-
Back