Is anyone else "touchy" about their Mopar? (long rant...)

-
MRGTX if this was at Mark's on Monday, I know the guy you are speaking of. His engine compartment doesn't look all that great either. Next time you are there go check it out and start pointing out all the crap that is wrong with it. I think he's basically an alright guy but does lack some "people skills".

Ha! Well, we're talking about the same show...so probably the same guy! Small world! His car is (at least from what I've seen) a pretty mean looking '73 Duster that I've always admired. As I mentioned earlier, the first time I saw it at a show, I asked him a question (as happens a thousand times when you stand next to your car at a show) about his steering set up and how he liked it. He snapped at me like I should mind my own business and I just never talked to him again. I'll take your word for it if you say he's alright...but he sure thought nothing of making fun/laughing at of someone else's car so the evidence is thin at the moment.

That's too bad if the engine bay on his car isn't as great as he seems to think...and I did notice a nasty gash on his rear quarter when he was leaving the show (probably backed into something?) which made me feel some sympathy. While I do get your point, I honestly don't have it in me to pick on his car.

Ha! Well, we're talking about the same show...so probably the same guy! Small world! His car is (at least from what I've seen) a pretty mean looking '73 Duster that I've always admired. As I mentioned earlier, the first time I saw it at a show, I asked him a question (as happens a thousand times when you stand next to your car at a show) about his steering set up and how he liked it. He snapped at me like I should mind my own business and I just never talked to him again. I'll take your word for it if you say he's alright...but he sure thought nothing of making fun/laughing at of someone else's car so the evidence is thin at the moment.

That's too bad if the engine bay on his car isn't as great as he seems to think...and I did notice a nasty gash on his rear quarter when he was leaving the show (probably backed into something?) which made me feel some sympathy. While I do get your point, I honestly don't have it in me to pick on his car.
I AGREE W/ MOST ALL OF THE ABOVE POSTS, EXCEPT > 'can`t wait till the next car show >"
I will probably only go to mopar meets from now on.

I had a similar situation many years ago with my 66 Barracuda (since sold). The Barracuda was originally a 273 car. I transplanted a 340 into it. It had a lot of other changes made to it. Anyway, I had recently put on an LD 340 manifold and made an L shaped bracket for the throttle return spring out of some flat stock because I couldn't get the existing bracket to work on the LD 340. So I'm at a show with the hood open and most of the guys were impressed with it and asking questions about the car. One guy points to my newly made throttle return spring bracket and pipes up "That's not stock!". I replied, "Well, this car is so far from stock now, it really doesn't matter." After he walked away, my friend was laughing and pointed out that I basically told him to F_ _ _ Off without actually saying it.

see how his hellcat looks in 45 years, everything looks good when new even a cheap
Chinese toaster oven. Car shows are for dicks

see how his hellcat looks in 45 years, everything looks good when new even a cheap
Chinese toaster oven. Car shows are for dicks

Yes and no. The Hellcat May look pretty crappy in 45. I meet some of the best folk at car shows and we mostly share the same values, occasionally an *** is there that only cares about themselves. Most are salt of the earth!

... Car shows are for dicks

I think I know what you mean here but I think it depends on WHY you go to a car show.

If your goal is to have somewhere fun to drive your car where you'll get to hang out with like-minded gear heads, enjoy sharing what you've worked on have as well as appreciating what other's brought...that's great, IMO. It's a pastime that I've enjoyed almost as long as I've been driving...and I've been going as a spectator since I was a kid.

I think I know what you mean here but I think it depends on WHY you go to a car show.

If your goal is to have somewhere fun to drive your car where you'll get to hang out with like-minded gear heads, enjoy sharing what you've worked on have as well as appreciating what other's brought...that's great, IMO. It's a pastime that I've enjoyed almost as long as I've been driving...and I've been going as a spectator since I was a kid.

I don’t go to many shows any more, but we always try to go to shows that are raising money for a cause. There used to be a big show around us that supported Make-a-Wish, a cause close to Nellas heart, so we would always go to that.

I don’t care what people say about my cars, I’m not there for the praise, just to have fun and support the cause. However, if they would give me a few $$$, I would gladly put it towards some needed upgrades!!

Nella always fills out her window sheet the same way...”I’m a girl, I’m 20, and I own a convertible Cuda”!! Pretty much says it all!

No real point to this thread except to vent about an experience and to get a sense of whether or not you guys have felt like this before...

The local cruise night is always a really good time and it has been a part of my summer Mondays for decades. These days, I work full time and I also went back for grad school which in addition to classes, also requires a metric-****-ton of internship hours which are taking forever to get through and I'm just never free on weekday nights anymore. I hadn't been able to go to the show at all but this week, I cleared my schedule (at great expense) because it was the Mopar theme night and I just didn't want to miss out.

So my Dart is what it is. It's a driver, a work in progress, original/worn paint, original/decent interior, etc. In terms of appearance, it's a bit below-average for the quality of cars that show up for this cruise night but it's not bad for a 45 year old/driven/unrestored car and I'm still proud of it. In any case, I've put everything I've got into it in terms of time, money, blood, sweat, tears. It has been in my life since I was 17 years old (I'm 40 now) and it's practically a family member at this point.

The engine bay in my car isn't pretty. No chrome, no shine...and I'm fine with that. It's a bit dusty and scraped up but objectively, it's not even that bad...even if it hasn't gotten cosmetic attention since the engine swap. This kind of thing is very low on my priority list and to that point, I almost always leave the hood down if I bring it anywhere... but I happened to have it open when I first got there to help it cool down after sitting in traffic waiting to get in to the show.

Which makes me wonder why I turned into Arnie from "Christine" when fellow A-body owner took the opportunity to be a total d*** about it. I was checking out/drooling on the Hellcat that parked next to me and this guy didn't know the Sport was mine. He stands there in front of my car, pointing at the engine bay, shakes his head, chuckles and says to me "this looks terrible, look at this sh--... I'd be embarrassed to show this!" etc.

Well, he might as well have kicked my dog. I felt a flash of anger, I walked over, looked him in the eye and I told him to "go eff himself" (but I used the actual word!) and to get away from my car.

I'm absolutely not a violent nor angry person, I really never get emotional at all (which is probably part of the problem...) but for some reason this pushed my button hard. Naturally, he got defensive and said "well I have a right to my opinion" to which I replied "...and I have a right to tell you to eff-off" and that was pretty much it as he waddled away.

I felt regret immediately after! He's an older guy who doesn't seem to take care of himself and he probably has a pretty sad life... However, he does have a pretty damn nice orange '73 Duster 340. I know this because the first time that I met him a few years back, he was strangely sarcastic and rude when I asked a question about his setup when checking it out and admiring it and I've avoided him ever since. I'm sure that he didn't remember me as he was pretty surprised when I confronted him.

The rest of the night was fine. 99% of the people who go to this show are friendly and supportive wherever you are with your project and got to talk with a lot of good people about their cars. There were some amazing Mopars to check out and I got to catch up with some friends...but that exchange has stuck with me and really put a damper on what I hoped would be a highlight of my summer.

Has anyone else had this experience? Anyone else have that immediate sense of regret? I know I'll see this guy again and my inclination is to offer a handshake and put it behind us but he really seems to be rotten dude and I'm not sure if I want to bother. I guess I'll just go back to ignoring him.

View attachment 1715216763
No real point to this thread except to vent about an experience and to get a sense of whether or not you guys have felt like this before...

The local cruise night is always a really good time and it has been a part of my summer Mondays for decades. These days, I work full time and I also went back for grad school which in addition to classes, also requires a metric-****-ton of internship hours which are taking forever to get through and I'm just never free on weekday nights anymore. I hadn't been able to go to the show at all but this week, I cleared my schedule (at great expense) because it was the Mopar theme night and I just didn't want to miss out.

So my Dart is what it is. It's a driver, a work in progress, original/worn paint, original/decent interior, etc. In terms of appearance, it's a bit below-average for the quality of cars that show up for this cruise night but it's not bad for a 45 year old/driven/unrestored car and I'm still proud of it. In any case, I've put everything I've got into it in terms of time, money, blood, sweat, tears. It has been in my life since I was 17 years old (I'm 40 now) and it's practically a family member at this point.

The engine bay in my car isn't pretty. No chrome, no shine...and I'm fine with that. It's a bit dusty and scraped up but objectively, it's not even that bad...even if it hasn't gotten cosmetic attention since the engine swap. This kind of thing is very low on my priority list and to that point, I almost always leave the hood down if I bring it anywhere... but I happened to have it open when I first got there to help it cool down after sitting in traffic waiting to get in to the show.

Which makes me wonder why I turned into Arnie from "Christine" when fellow A-body owner took the opportunity to be a total d*** about it. I was checking out/drooling on the Hellcat that parked next to me and this guy didn't know the Sport was mine. He stands there in front of my car, pointing at the engine bay, shakes his head, chuckles and says to me "this looks terrible, look at this sh--... I'd be embarrassed to show this!" etc.

Well, he might as well have kicked my dog. I felt a flash of anger, I walked over, looked him in the eye and I told him to "go eff himself" (but I used the actual word!) and to get away from my car.

I'm absolutely not a violent nor angry person, I really never get emotional at all (which is probably part of the problem...) but for some reason this pushed my button hard. Naturally, he got defensive and said "well I have a right to my opinion" to which I replied "...and I have a right to tell you to eff-off" and that was pretty much it as he waddled away.

I felt regret immediately after! He's an older guy who doesn't seem to take care of himself and he probably has a pretty sad life... However, he does have a pretty damn nice orange '73 Duster 340. I know this because the first time that I met him a few years back, he was strangely sarcastic and rude when I asked a question about his setup when checking it out and admiring it and I've avoided him ever since. I'm sure that he didn't remember me as he was pretty surprised when I confronted him.

The rest of the night was fine. 99% of the people who go to this show are friendly and supportive wherever you are with your project and got to talk with a lot of good people about their cars. There were some amazing Mopars to check out and I got to catch up with some friends...but that exchange has stuck with me and really put a damper on what I hoped would be a highlight of my summer.

Has anyone else had this experience? Anyone else have that immediate sense of regret? I know I'll see this guy again and my inclination is to offer a handshake and put it behind us but he really seems to be rotten dude and I'm not sure if I want to bother. I guess I'll just go back to ignoring him.

Even some MOPAR guys are A-Holes (although not many) - or maybe he was, like you... having a bad day. The "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything" policy should have been followed. If it had, the incident would have never taken place. He should have kept his mouth shut - and you could have handled it better too, by simply(?) ignoring him. Half the cars I see at a cruise-in may not be my cup-o-tea. I just keep my mouth shut & move on. Life's too short to let this get you down. Now go clean your engine compartment! :)

Even some MOPAR guys are A-Holes (although not many) - or maybe he was, like you... having a bad day. The "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything" policy should have been followed. If it had, the incident would have never taken place. He should have kept his mouth shut - and you could have handled it better too, by simply(?) ignoring him. Half the cars I see at a cruise-in may not be my cup-o-tea. I just keep my mouth shut & move on. Life's too short to let this get you down. Now go clean your engine compartment! :)

I do appreciate the input and I can imagine giving that advice to someone else... but in the immortal words of Mike Tyson; "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."

For the record, my engine bay isn't really "dirty." It's simply showing its five decades and lots of wear and tear. The paint is in tough shape. Oh well. I have a lot of other projects to get to before I start "fancying it up" to please the show crowd. :D

So funnily enough, I spotted that nasty old geezer out driving around on Saturday while I was in the Mustang. He gave me (or the car?) a filthy look as he drove by. No way he could have recognized me...my wife thought that was hilarious!

It brings me no pleasure to note that the 340 in his Duster is evidentially smoking like hell. Not quite at mosquito-killer level but getting there.
I'll consider mentioning that to him next time I see him. :)

So funnily enough, I spotted that nasty old geezer out driving around on Saturday while I was in the Mustang. He gave me (or the car?) a filthy look as he drove by. No way he could have recognized me...my wife thought that was hilarious!

It brings me no pleasure to note that the 340 in his Duster is evidentially smoking like hell. Not quite at mosquito-killer level but getting there.
I'll consider mentioning that to him next time I see him. :)

So in the course of this thread, we have gone from you feeling regret for your reaction and "feeling the inclination to shake his hand and put it behind you", to now he is a "Nasty old geezer" and wanting to stir the pot about his engine smoking?

Let it go man! Yes,.. some people can be jerks. Ever heard the old "Two wrongs don't make a right"? Just let it go and use it as an example of how NOT to be.

Hey I resemble that remark, I am an old gezzer!!! I try not to be too nasty, though!! Ha

When I look at someone's old car, I always try to find something good to say about it. OK so many times I lie!!!!

I'm building my car to make me happy, not for someone else's approval. It's got some rough spots but I built it and am still in the process of building it as time and money allow. I see a lot of new mustangs and hellcats at shows, I get it they are probably the owners pride and joy. I can go to the dealers lot and see the same thing. The cars that always get my attention though are the ones I know someone has put the effort into building themselves instead of just buying it.

I respect anyone who takes the time and effort to keep these tired, cranky, magnificent examples of a bygone era road worthy. You don't have to love my car but if you can't respect it, I can't respect you.

1F139A9A-F553-4124-A55C-B4C1579E0701.png
B7B0A7AC-F257-4F06-955C-6C7EDF065094.png
4D6E7008-3C1C-4C6F-B811-900E9D25C862.png
BE591273-E658-4171-BA79-20F5B3AFB3EF.png
MrGTX......you’ve dredged up some memories for me. When attending shows or cruise nights, which there have been many for me down through the years, I like to be respectful of someone else’s ride. Whether it is $$$ or $ and it doesn’t have to be a Mopar. People I’ve found like to talk about their cars, myself included. I have to admit I’ve had, in the past, people talk trash about my car, whether it’s a gathering with different Marques of vehicles or an all Mopar meet. It used to be I’d pull in to park, and folks just couldn’t understand the car. Comments like “what a waste” or “if I owned it this is what I’d do”. I’d smile and say well there are other cars to look at here. and well it’s not your car, is it? My car in question is my 1970 Dodge Challenger with the venerable SL6 under the hood. Nowadays I believe it’s accepted a little better by those who try to understand it instead of dissecting it. I Dodge dealership purchased it with 40k miles on the clock, as a trade-in, in 1973. After a stellar daily driver service, it now has 562k miles behind it. I’m retired now and so is the car. We still attend shows and cruises, not a lot, the car and I have slowed down a bit, but we still get out there. People now admire the car for what is, but like the story better. There were those, who I believe, couldn’t accept a performance hood on a SL6 car, but I devised a unique engine call out, then the how cool comments came out. I bought this car when I was 26 I am now 72, through perseverance I’ve learned to adapt and conquer. Well I can always say “they just don’t understand me” ;) I’ll post some pics, then you can see what I drag around with me.

Don't let it bother you. I have a neighbor who, on the day he moved in (I was sitting in the garage door opening) said, "You drive a Ford???". I was more than happy to tell him that my v6 2016 would run circles around his 1974 V8 Nova. He closed with, "Well, I have a friend with a Chevelle that would be happy to race your Mustang." I haven't heard that crap since I was 19 years old and some punk was bad-mouthing my 69 GTS (340 car that ran 10s) yammering about his uncle's car. I had to shut them both up after beating the crap out of his uncle's car.
No matter where you go, you're going to meet nice people and a**holes. Enjoy YOUR car and your time with it. I sure wish I had any of my Mopars. :realcrazy:

You felt bad afterwards because you took the "low road". When you lose your temper and curse at someone over a small comment, you look like an *** to everyone in listening distance. If you can't take criticism, then stay home where you will be safe from people hurting you with words!

If you make a "bad" comment to a woman, maybe your wife, her being the female she is, will remember your ezact words 30 years later, and remember the day, the year, and even the time of day, you said the "stupid" remark!! true ain't it!?
Now 2 guys can get mad, beat the living c***out of each other, then shake hands and become the best of friends. Male sometime or other!? Right/

Unless you are a politician!?

The last car show I attended, I took my 73 Dart Sport 340. It was hardly stock (it ran 11.3s in the 1/4), the body was original body color and primer, but the interior had been recently redone. But, at the last engine rebuild, I painted the underhood body color (my personal preference). The most comments I received were in regards to the dual oil filter set up and my fuel pump control system.
The show was a large mall on the east side of Phoenix and was set up with a round robin front row parking (Mopars one week, then Ford, etc.) One week, some guy in his Corvette wanted to park with the Mopars. We explained to him how the cruise parking worked. Instead of moving his car, he stated he would run any Mopar there for a parking spot. I had just arrived and one of my buddies said to him, "What about his Dart?" He scoffed until I went back and brought my car up front. "That's not stock!"
"Well, you never said anything about stock..." He moved.

MRGTX if this was at Mark's on Monday, I know the guy you are speaking of. His engine compartment doesn't look all that great either. Next time you are there go check it out and start pointing out all the crap that is wrong with it. I think he's basically an alright guy but does lack some "people skills".

Just reviving an old thread to add a new data point to the "lack of people skills."
This guy is still around, still driving his Duster. I honestly do admire that he drives the thing regularly and it's still a car that would turn my head if I didn't know about the festering puss-filled boil of a human who owns it. Though I will say that it has deteriorated quite a bit over the last few years.

Yesterday, I was heading out to meet with my dad for Father's day, I piled into the Toyota with my wife, two year old and six week old newborn son. No sooner did we get onto Rt 10 than this familiar orange Duster come right up on the bumper and start to tailgate us. I like to think I'm beyond road rage bs (and usually I do fine with it) so I set the cruise to +5mph over the speed limit and decided to just ignore the rear view, and drive normally. Usually, this is a foolproof strategy.

Well this guy must have had a hot date at the neighboring nursing home because he got closer and closer until I could see him in the sideview mirror with two wheels on the center line, no more than 10' off my bumper at about 50mph.
If it was just me in the car, I'd shake my head and laugh it off but much like when he decided to criticize my Dart, the dude crossed the line driving like that with my family in the car. It legitimately pissed me off.

I didn't brake test him (mostly because I may try to buy that Duster as a parts car after he dies) nor retaliate in any way...so I'm proud of that...but I'll be damned if I wasn't tempted.

The other part of this is that my Dart Sport is red and faded a bit where it almost looks orange in some conditions. We both have black hoods with the six pack style scoop. It's not that big of a town and it's very, very likely that his car could be mistaken for mine...I would really appreciate it if he could just drive like he wasn't a psychopath. Maybe he is one? If so, I guess that's not his fault.

-
Back