is gear to much

-

67mprfan

Reaction score
bought a 71 demon, can't figure out what engine combo to go with ,car has a 513 in the rear with 32/14.0/15 tires on it would that cause a 440 to rev to high and hurt my et, can also go with a stroke 470 setup or just do a smallblock .............thanks for the help

Holy crap 513? that would be great for 1/8 mile drags but nothing else. I'd knock her down to 4.11 or 4.55's depending on the rest of the combo. What tranny, what converter, what cam, what carb and intake.

32 14 15 slicks? Drag radials?

I Would like to get into this, as I need that tire in drag radial, as I have 4.88; can't find 32"

5.13? gotta be 1/8 mile.

Yes they are to much,you should sell them to me LOL.

Use the calculaters. I did, and ended up whith too high gear; but that was back in the '80's. car still on stands. The new free calc's are better.

I used to run 13 x 31 slicks with a 4.88 gear in a 440 Super Bee. The large diameter tire will allow a pretty high numerical gear to be used but you`ll almost have to have a stout solid cam. With that said, when you get into the 5 to 1 ratios you`re usually talking high revving small block. The best way to find out is to take your combo out there and see what rpm you go through the traps.

I run same gear and same tire. 440 with 5500 convertor. 6800 rpm in 1/4. 6400 in 1/8. I say run it like it is. Shouldn't hurt a well built motor.

i say run it and see what happens

Our drag car (1/4mi) had a 4.88 gear Dana with a 440 and auto and 32/14.5's it went through the traps at 6800rpm which was about perfect, it left hard and usually 60fts were low 1.40's with a best of 1.32 off a TB.
I'm sure our combos are very different and I'm with mshred try it and see what happens, sounds like it's a work in progress so I wouldn't get rid of a thing til it's all said and done, maybe there's a decent road you can try it out on, perhaps even with VHT like my lil test strip

I am not a good one to ask I run a 3.54 gear with a 275-60-15 tire. (set up for the 1/8th)

Thats an 1/8 mile gear or super high rpm setup .

Id go 430- 456 with that tire and a well built BB

Wussies :bootysha:
I've got y'all beat. 5.38 gears were in my 340/4-speed Demon when I bought it. The sure grip munched a spider gear so there's some highway friendly 4.55 gears in there now. I haven't been down the 1/4 mile with it yet, but when I do I'm sure it'll be screamin' like a banshee. A previous owner built it according to the old Direct Connection 11.0 second recipe. It's a dinosaur by todays technology.

By the way I once used the Demon as my daily driver for 2 weeks in March. Glad there wasn't any snow or salt on our roads. However scraping the INSIDE of the windshield was interesting every morning for work. Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

Wylde1.

-
Back