Is it just me? Or is this insanity! $580.00 mechanical fuel pump

-
Idk, I just put a high pressure pump on the wife's Optima $754.00. Dealer only part. This was after dropping the tank and replacing that pump and realizing there's a secondary pump mounted on the engine.:BangHead: $900 in fuel pumps later.

Thats right up there with the $1100 carburetor. you could go EFI for less. And lets not forget the $600 trim rings.....

I met the man (Name protected) that bought and had a 67 Belvedere that Judy Lilly use to campaign restored. He bought a NOS quarter panel ( I don't recall which side) for $6000.00 dollars. The amazing thing was, he made the comment " If I could find the (other quarter panel), I'd pay $10,000.00 for it"! Talk about a hobby out of control!

There was an individual selling a bunch of NOS Mopar stuff about 7 yrs. ago on E-bay classifieds here in SW PA for stupid $$$$, dual-point 340 dizzy for $1500, etc. etc.,...
hey,...can't blame 'em for tryin'. If there's someone willing to fork it over more power to them,...personally I find this aspect of the hobby ridiculous...............................

feeding the Mark Wormans of rhe world , when your customer see's parts prices like that on ebay they understand the bill for 200k in resto cost .
"see those 2 little marks right there ? those are made by the special tool only used at the factory , this proves thats a real live original 1 of 4 hemi lugnut "

While it may be overpriced, to someone restoring an original, numbers matching Max Wedge Car, a year correct, numbers correct, new factory fuel pump is worth every penny. That said, I'd have to do some verification first since the date is 1966, and by then the max wedges were over with.

I cant even get my $15 to $20 asking price for various original emblems on ebay. All very nice.
Might be time to mark em all up $100.lol

If having the wrong dated fuel pump loses your Max Wedge resto Gold or Platinum status at judging, the $540 deal is a steal. The fact I would never take a car to that level, or could afford to even if I had the want, means nothing. The world turns...

-
Back