Is It Possible?........

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to build a pro touring car that doesn't LOOK like a pro touring car? Something brutally FUN to drive and drive everyday, but that does NOT look like a pro touring car. Something that looks like a regular hot rod build, but will handle very well, and basically BE a pro touring car. NO huge wheels and ultra low profile tires. More like 235 60 14s. Not slung down in the weeds......but not sittin WAY up high either. No offense to pro touring cars, I know we have some on here. It's just not my cup of tea as far as the LOOK, but I wouldn't mind the handling characteristics.

Not sure if this fits the bill but I think these guys did a great job on this...

Sure, all that gives ir away is the busted springs and ghetto wheels

So, stay away from them and your golden

Anything is possible. Question is budget. Fiberglass body on a fabricated slab-style chassis with AWD and excellent suspension geometry would handle like a go-kart with any wheels. But it would be loud, hot, and obnoxious inside.

Large sidewalls will always flex more than short ones - helps with comfort, hurts when you try to turn.
Low ride height helps lower CG. You can change geometry to affect roll centers and make for a very good driving car even if it's not down in the weeds - look at modern SUV's. They no longer drive like dump trucks or threaten to flip over on a gentle curve.

Lots of actual race cars use smaller tires due to class rules, and they turn/handle better than many cars with the 'pro touring' look. Also, in reality, most roads aren't going to support a big *** contact patch and sticky rubber. All its going to do is wear down quick and throw rocks like it's cool.

Sadly, the availability of modern tires in 14 and 15" diameters is probably the biggest hurdle. 17" is probably the smallest one you could get modern tires that will fit the bill. With proper rim and tire size choice, 17"s can avoid the 'big wheel' look, but it's still gonna be bigger than a 14".

14" wheels might also be tough to fit great brakes on, but I bet there's stuff out there which would work better than OEM. Probably not cheap though.

With smaller wheels and tires, the best thing one could do is remove weight. The lighter a car is, the less crucial the rest becomes. The question is how light can you go before it becomes a chore to drive? Less mass often means more NVH (noise, vibration and harshness).

Is it possible to build a pro touring car that doesn't LOOK like a pro touring car? Something brutally FUN to drive and drive everyday, but that does NOT look like a pro touring car. Something that looks like a regular hot rod build, but will handle very well, and basically BE a pro touring car. NO huge wheels and ultra low profile tires. More like 235 60 14s. Not slung down in the weeds......but not sittin WAY up high either. No offense to pro touring cars, I know we have some on here. It's just not my cup of tea as far as the LOOK, but I wouldn't mind the handling characteristics.
Yes.
Like you said.. custom wheels that takes stock Grandma hubcaps keep the bumpers Chrome and no aftermarket interior...just tint the windows so you cant tell... then get the stance dialed in with that pro tour suspension...and punch the gas on that 5.7 hemi

That's horrible.

Put a paint job on it and it, and standard size control arms and it would look like any other AAR and whoop it's ***.

You asked for something that could handle like a pro-t and look like a street car. Well, there it is.

Oh and get rid of the flares

Put a paint job on it and it, and standard size control arms and it would look like any other AAR and whoop it's ***.

You asked for something that could handle like a pro-t and look like a street car. Well, there it is.

Oh and get rid of the flares
Yes I did. Thank you! And you're right. It wouldn't take but just a few things to make it look decent again.

I think I did a good job on my 66. Very subtle. Rear is lowered. 1.5 inch. 245 14 rubber under there. Front with 215 14. Stock kH brakes. Looking for a front anti sway bar that will fit a 66. Handles and drives very nice. Lower control arm stiffiners.stiffer rear springs. Big block torsion bars....of course the limit is what rubber can be found in 14 inch...

Last edited:
There was a pretty cool early A here somewhere that someone put a mustang IRS in with decent results. Looked pretty cool too.

There was a pretty cool early A here somewhere that someone put a mustang IRS in with decent results. Looked pretty cool too.
Mopar did a good job with stock setup. A few changes and it is much better.

I think I did a good job on my 66. Very subtle. Rear is lowered. 1.5 inch. 245 14 rubber under there. Front with 215 14. Stock kH brakes. Looking for a front anti sway bar that will fit a 66. Handles and drives very nice. Lower control arm stiffiners.stiffer rear springs. Big block torsion bars....of course the limit is what rubber can be found in 14 inch...
Yeah. I like how yours turned out.

you thinking of something like this, but with all season tires?

junk car.jpg

Mopar did a good job with stock setup. A few changes and it is much better.

You know I'm talking about the "REAR" in IRS, right? Small changes are not a thing when you're talking about keeping the axle centered on hard turns.
Ma MoPar did nothing special in the R/E than any other car maker did. it's an axle on leafs..

sure.. think you'll have to go 15" wheels though...

our dart could easily be turned into a pro touring car with a few more upgrades.. as it sits it handles damn well and it doesn't have all that much done to it.

sure.. think you'll have to go 15" wheels though...

our dart could easily be turned into a pro touring car with a few more upgrades.. as it sits it handles damn well and it doesn't have all that much done to it.
I already have wheels, so there's that.

sure doesn't scream pro touring. it isn't pro touring.. its set up to handle much better then stock is all it is.. i'd like to do the steering box and better shocks but other then that i'm happy with it.. only running tube upper arms, 1" bars (if doing it today i'd go larger), hellwig front sway bar and 383 dart rear springs from eaton. rims are 15x7 and tires are 225/60-15. i'm sure others on this site have cars that handle better but this thing feels great even with a crappy steering box and old kyb shocks..

DSC_0006.JPG

That’s where I’m going with this duster. Have some work to do, but with full Firm Fell suspension, this thing is a handles and is beast in the twisties…

8C4A904F-A190-4C92-9859-D20EE30CED23.jpeg

-
Back