-

Slant Six Bumblebee

Reaction score
Is it too late to save this?

D2195F5E-8DEC-434B-AD36-1A5F20A0D7F4.jpeg

7AACBA53-117C-45DB-BE0E-1CACEC9DB4A8.jpeg

2910BCB7-0A97-42A2-B353-89BE0533508E.jpeg

1B0CACB2-CBDA-46AB-B43C-51B03CE1DE53.jpeg

Yes, what he said ^^^^^. Those floors are done as far as strength and integrity are concerned. Can you grind them and fiberglass them? Yes, but that's a hackers method and not the right way to fix them.

With a new pan and just linex prevent rusting in the future. This is a daily drive that lives outside in the Pacific Northwest

If I was going to go through the trouble of welding in new pans, I would paint them properly, then apply your rust protection. Linex works fine, but you need to paint them first. You are in the same climate as me so a thorough repair and refinish are necessary to make it last.

Yes, what he said ^^^^^. Those floors are done as far as strength and integrity are concerned. Can you grind them and fiberglass them? Yes, but that's a hackers method and not the right way to fix them.
I done fiber glassed and POR15 mine back around 1985. Way back then I fixed the windshield leaks and installed brand new wiper pivots to stop the leaks prevent further damage. Yes brand new wiper pivots ordered from parts department at local Dodge dealer. Anyway going with full floor to repair mine now.

Make sure you run a hose over car and in wheel wells while interior is out to make sure water not leaking into car. Mine had a bad spot weld in rear wheel well water came in driving on wet roads caused rear floor board to rust out. Water leaks wet carpet = rotted out floor.

Floor rust 3.jpg

Floor rust 1.jpg

Floor AMD.jpg

After the new floor pan is in I would start with a good layer of epoxy primer as a base. After that its preference of what to top coat it with.
There is nothing you can magically paint over rust that will stop it from rusting more.

Right best way is to remove entire floor, do any inner rocker panel and/or frame rail repairs, epoxy prime all of those surfaces, then weld in full floor and epoxy prime that. Thats how I plan to get rid of my floor rust.

-
Back