Is there a low profile water pump for a 360?

-

67DodgeDart360

Reaction score
Is these a low profile water pump and pulley for a 360 engine? I’m trying to fit a shroud and fan between my radiator. Right now I don’t have any space. The engine is moved all the way back.

B28CA9E1-5FE5-4129-9562-9F1FE10D8CB3.jpeg

8D7C831A-5AA0-4934-AE63-6DFAC375DBE7.jpeg

THERE IS NO REASON in the wide wide world of sports that you should have to mount the electric exactly inline with the engine pump. And you ought'ha have a shroud on there

If you cannot do anything else, measure, with fan "back" as far as you can, and off to one side as far as you can, and have / or fabricate a sheet metal shroud and mount the fan on the shroud. "You may" have to build some floppy rubber / hinged "check valves" on the other side to allow free flow of air through there at speed

You could switch to a 67- 68 timming cover and cast iron water pump, a bit sorter. Or as 67dart273 said move to fan to one side.

OR you could got rid of the BS cross flow aluminum radiator and electric fan and get an oem copper brass rad, mechanical fan and oem shroud and start enjoying your car.

Like this idea: ^^^^^

Get an oem copper brass rad, mechanical fan and oem shroud and start enjoying your car.

20200712_191711.jpg

You could switch to a 67- 68 timming cover and cast iron water pump, a bit sorter. Or as 67dart273 said move to fan to one side.

OR you could got rid of the BS cross flow aluminum radiator and electric fan and get an oem copper brass rad, mechanical fan and oem shroud and start enjoying your car.
There is no way oem copper brass rad and mechanical fan will fit in that tight space. What’s the thickness of rad, fan and shroud. I’m only working with 6” max

Of course it will (fit that pump and an OEM rad). That's how these cars were BUILT. At least in 69-70 whenever the newer longer pump came out

like i asked you in your other post...do you have 3.5 inches between the front of the pulley and the face of the radiator?

because, if you do, you can get the jaguar clutch on there and be done

Can get the shorty clutch fan, and the new aftermarket oem fit radiators from Rockauto.com

Screenshot_20210414-220102_Gallery.jpg

Of course it will (fit that pump and an OEM rad). That's how these cars were BUILT. At least in 69-70 whenever the newer longer pump came out
Yeah the cars had a 340 or 318 and the motor was farther back. If it was back a inch more I wouldn’t have this issue. The engine is all the way back on the engine mounts.

Can you send me a link or brand shorty clutch fan you used? I might try that.

The short clutch you want is #2947. It's about 2.75" tall and Hayden's "heavy duty" clutch engineered for a steel fan. The 2765 Jag clutch is a standard duty clutch and not designed for a steel fan.

Yeah the cars had a 340 or 318 and the motor was farther back. If it was back a inch more I wouldn’t have this issue. The engine is all the way back on the engine mounts.

LA 273,318,340,360, all the same size block... I’m running a Be-Cool direct fit, and dual fans, with March pulley’s, had to clearance one of the fan housing back fins and have about 1/2 inch with a shity ruler from the pulley to the back of the fan housing. Like this setup in the link below. Spendy yes, over heating problems, not a chance and I’m only running distilled water and Red Line Water Wetter, can get the temp over 175.... it’s also how my car was setup when I got this one 4 years ago...

Radiator Module Direct-Fit Natural Finish for 64-76 Dodge A-Body w/Auto Trans Passenger Water Pump Outlet Be Cool Radiator | Be Cool Radiators

Last edited:
Something like this, have the proper mopar Hayden part number in my parts stash.

View attachment 1715723648

Do not use the Jaguar Hayden 2765 clutch fan. It is not heavy duty enough, and your car will run hot.
Get the heavy duty Hayden 2947. Much better choice.

Edit: Mopowers beat me to it. :)

I still have to make this swap. Fell for the Jag clutch fan when the Mopar folk discovered them.
Hopefully that cures a hot running motor issue.

Last edited:
The 2947 is a real bear to install if you have a 7 blade fan. Very little room to install bolts. I had to go to studs to get mine on.

Do I not need a shroud with a clutch fan?

7 blade mopar clutch fan pulls a lot of air to cool on it's own. If you have overheating issues it will cool better with a shroud.

Depends on how much heat and horse power your engine is putting out. Stock small blocks will probably cool without the shrouds.

400 hp plus small blocks will more than likely need the shroud to help it cool causs they are making a lot of heat. High compression engines make a lot of heat too.

7 blade mopar clutch fan pulls a lot of air to cool on it's own. If you have overheating issues it will cool better with a shroud.

Depends on how much heat and horse power your engine is putting out. Stock small blocks will probably cool without the shrouds.

400 hp plus small blocks will more than likely need the shroud to help it cool causs they are making a lot of heat. High compression engines make a lot of heat too.
It’s just a stock 360 with mild cam.

I would run a shroud regardless. I cannot figure out why you are wanting to do this the hard way? You have plenty of cooling system. You don't need another radiator. That radiator you have is better than probably over 75% of the radiators in cars on this forum. All you need is air flow. Put a GOOD electric fan on it and be DONE. In the time you've discussed this on TWO threads now, your car could be fixed and you could be enjoying it.

I would run a shroud regardless. I cannot figure out why you are wanting to do this the hard way? You have plenty of cooling system. You don't need another radiator. That radiator you have is better than probably over 75% of the radiators in cars on this forum. All you need is air flow. Put a GOOD electric fan on it and be DONE. In the time you've discussed this on TWO threads now, your car could be fixed and you could be enjoying it.
I have a good electric fan on it now and it’s still overheating. A shroud won’t fit with the electric fan.

-
Back