Is there asbestos in this brown firewall pad for mopar a bodies?

-

1967Barracuda

Reaction score
Would anyone know if this brown mat/padding that is glued to the top of the firewall contain asbestos?

What about kick panel insulation on mopar a bodies? Does this contain asbestos?

A_72_AC_FIRERWALL_INSULATION_05__63752.1592675640.jpg

Only way for you to know for sure is to have YOUR samples tested.

If you do not want to go through the testing process there are ways to remove it like the pros do that would be safer. but I would say if you have been driving the car or one of the same age for any number of years and it does contain asbestos you have gotten more in your body then you will get in by doing a damp removal with proper respirators etc.

If you do get it tested ( which is not all that expensive by the way) let us know what you find

Last edited:
So far as I know this was a product known as "rock wool." While not dangerous as asbestos, ANY fiber material such as that could cause lung problems. If you are concerned you could do something such as "stick" it together with a light overcoat of clear spray paint etc. Just the dirt/ dust accumulated over the years is a danger at some level

Just don’t breathe it in I’m sure it’s fine...if concerned spray it with water to keep the dust fibers down and wear a mask. I don’t believe they used that stuff much on cars except possibly the brake pads and shoes

I don’t believe they used that stuff much on cars except possibly the brake pads and shoes
I would bet that all the seam sealer has asbestos in it. Asbestos was a common fiber used before the 80s, your old vinyl floors has it, your lath and plaster has it etc.

I recall in the 60s and 70s taking brake drums off and taping them on the ground to get the excess dust out. no respirators etc. and I was maybe 10 at the time. Only time will tell if it hurt me. My father in law was a pipe fitter in the 40-80s and worked in a bomb plant during WWII. He died of complications of mesothelioma, not a pretty death having your abdomen drained every few days at the end.

Yes one fiber can kill you BUT as with all things the more you are exposed the greater your chances of a problem. Anyone who works in a building built before 1980 probably is exposed to asbestos daily but in low concentrations and the effects on life expectancy will be statistically very low to zero

Safety in knowledge: Asbestos in Classic Cars

When I was a kid we played in piles of ricin and asbestos. We would swim in it and rub it our eyes... jk... so stupid.

What a dumb question, are we that bored?
You'd hear about it in every car chat on the net... big 3 would be sued...its would be a media circus....because they really need the distraction right now.

Known as the shoddy pad. Rock wool and maybe fiberglass, and I believe kick panel insulation is straight up fiberglass. All silica based, just like asbestos. When I was young, I tried to clean up a pile of silica filter sand with a shop vac. If you can imagine what breathing broken glass is like, that’s about the closest thing I could compare it to. If you choose to vac it out, keep it wet!

Highly unlikely but to be safe just spray it down with water then scrape it off. Wetting it will keep it from going airborne.

Wonering if that is "Jute", and if jute has asbestos fibers?
It's the microscopic fiber that can get lodged inside your lung, it has a hook, so it will stay there and cause irritated scarring and overtime, cancer.
We used to blow the brake dust out with shop air. That dust was everywhere. No masks and little knowledge in the 80s.
-Plumbers used to hand mix the asbestos and coat pipes in boiler rooms, like paper mache.
-Like mentioned earlier, any 8"x8" tiles in older homes were asbestos.
Like moparmike74 says, The trick is to not let any fibers become airborne.
Good health to all.

I’d be more worried about the lead in the paint I ground off my car or from the body seams, than the possibility of asbestos in the padding. Mine appeared to most fiberglass mixed with ground up rags.

From what I've heard, the lead would affect younger people while still in the developing stages.
Not so much adults.

We’re doomed ……live long enough your going to get cancer

-
Back