Is this a age difference occurence?

-
..if you're an aging couple keep your wife driving occasionally.I know many older couples where in their later years the husband did all the driving.When the hubby's health failed the wife couldn't drive it had been so long...

Now that wife hardly ever drinks, she drives when I have 2 beers with supper/dinner. I think I'm ok with 2 but don't push it anymore. Now that statute of limitations has run out, I'll admit to driving with too many under the belt in past. Anymore it isn't worth the risk to life or license. But have to say she is very good driver. She learned to drive stick shift with our new 340 Duster 4spd. Couldn't stall it if she started out in 3rd gear, and she laid a lot of rubber until she got it down. She burned rubber after she got good with it too.

My wife claims she hates the way I drive and chooses to drive. Which at first kind of bugged me, but after a while I saw that whenever I did drive, she was a nervous wreck. She's a pretty bad passenger and a pretty bad copilot ("Come on babe, left or right?!"... She freaks out, I go straight, she gets mad that I didn't give her enough of a heads up, I laugh, etc.) which I caught wind of pretty quickly.

So, I weighed out my options...

1) I drive and have a wife that is completely stressed out and not very pleasant to be around (although I love her to death even when she's not pleasant to be around haha)

2) She drives, I sit in the passenger seat, help copilot and relax. I have my moments of being a crappy passenger, but that's only when my wife passes a perfectly good curbside spot because she's afraid to parallel park (hate hate hate).

I guess I could be considered part of the "younger crowd" on this site (I'm 31), and I guess it could be a generational thing. My brothers and I were taught by our Old Man to always drive when with a girl, but that logic seems to be shifting with the years that pass.

Does it make me less of a man? Hell no. Because at the end of the day, my wife's happy, I'm happy, which usually means my chances of getting laid are higher than those guys who choose to be stubborn and drive their pissed off wives around all day lol
You forgot choice number 3. Separate vehicles, or I drive period. But I'm but one opinion here.

My wife has her own vehicle and drives herself everywhere BUT if we're together I always drive (unless too hammered) simply because I'm the passenger from hell.

Nothing to add regarding the up and coming generation of brain dead zombies.

Wife has never driven any of my vehicals, not that I would not let her but they are all manual trans. She can drive manual if needed. When we take her automatic car I drive, only exception is if I`m drinking and she is not.
I am soon to be 52 and yes I do allways open doors and carry what ever ( except purse) but alot has change with young people.

Wife has never driven any of my vehicals, not that I would not let her but they are all manual trans. She can drive manual if needed. When we take her automatic car I drive, only exception is if I`m drinking and she is not.
I am soon to be 52 and yes I do allways open doors and carry what ever ( except purse) but alot has change with young people.
That is very nice of you,but you will reach an age(not sure the number)that you will even carry her purse for her! I know at one time I wouldn't be caught dead with the wifes purse! Now eh, ain't no big deal.

I let the wife drive after I've been drinking and working in the garage. Usually, I mean. That's why I like cars is because of drinking and driving ! Hey ! I'm 60 , the wife's 63. Sure bring on that purse, I'll carry it ! That thing is starting to look like some sort of luggage apparatus !

men just dont have any standards any more
when me and the missus walk down the sidewalk, i walk on the street side
when we go out to dinner, i face the door
when we go somewhere, i drive her there
when we pass through a door, i open it for her (ok, that one may be partly to check out her tailend)

Same here. I never think to face the door when we go out to eat but now that I think about it I subconsciously sit that way most of the time!

Since the military, I've always needed to face the door, usually have my back toward a wall. Wife knows so she usually sits down first. Never thought watching for a situation so I could help her!! Maybe I'll use that next time, lol.

I let the wife drive after I've been drinking and working in the garage. Usually, I mean. That's why I like cars is because of drinking and driving ! Hey ! I'm 60 , the wife's 63. Sure bring on that purse, I'll carry it ! That thing is starting to look like some sort of luggage apparatus !
Just think, one day may come that you might be called on to wipe the wifes ***. I love my wife. I love her so much, I'd wipe her *** if she needed it.

My choices were to listen to the wife ***** about the way I took, the bumps I hit, how slow I was going....or let her drive while my *** cheeks gripped the hell out of the seat cushion.

17yr old here: Most guys around me tend to drive their women around, except when the girls own the car.

I usually drive which at first caused no end of friction. When she drove, I was a very bad passenger. Which also caused no end of friction. Now we take separate cars.

No not really.

I still usually drive. She's Colombian and can drive a stick shift but to be charitable, her situational awareness is pretty appalling. I once mentioned to her that she might want to check her speed. She asked why. Because of the cop car on the side of the road. What cop car? The one with all the lights and stripes and aerials, that cop car just along about a hundred feet. That's when the fight started.

No not really.

She has never driven the Duster. Not because she doesn't know how to drive stick, she does. But Hagerty made us sign something that said she won't drive it and if she did and had an accident with it we'd be s.o.l. Of course this was a huge relief to me. Time is running out though since she will be licensed for 10 years soon enough. She is 5 feet nothing though and probably won't be able to see out of it. She might have a hard time reaching the pedals. Oh and manual steering, good luck steering it.

To her credit she has actually improved as a driver. I've improved as a passenger too because I now trust her a lot more than when she banged my Integra into a curb when she cut in too early. Or put the Mazda into 1st instead of reverse when it was a week old and I was at Moparfest and she almost drove through the garage wall. Anyway, I am one to talk. I forgot a back door was open with the Mazda and did a real number on it and the garage door track when I tried to back out. And that situational awareness thing - yeah I got a speeding ticket in October when I failed to notice a cop car.

So, with us it's a two way street. I usually drive but now I don't really mind when she does. She also won't drive when the weather is bad and the snow flying. I guess I'd better be going - have to pick her up from an appointment.

Did you mention which vehicle!

I drive the Fish!!!! We tryed her driving and it did not work!

She drives most the other times. I even let her drive the Dually occasionally while pulling the car or 36' fifth wheel. She drives the truck like a "man" but the fish like a scared women!

We both have company provided fusions and I prefer her driving while I enjoy a cold one, can't do that if the fish comes out!

I think its a Independence thing with milleniel women(my daughter)
And combine the fact that the men (boys) in the same category are mostly jobless lazy f***s that barely know how to wipe their own ***.............
that fits all too many of them now.

There is some strange observations in this place.

I'm 33. She's 36. Depending on who's car we take...that's who drives.

Next you old wing nuts will be mad that the woman can have and own her own motorcycle too....I EVEN LET HER DRIVE A MOTORCYCLE.

You heard it here first folks. She rides.

I love to see women riding motorcycles...and shooting guns!! It's hot!! My wife shoots, but doesn't ride a bike.

Some of the best times I had in my Duster has been with female friends behind the wheel. They love driving it, we go road tripping and I can have a beer when we stop to eat. I have fun when friends get to enjoy the car too. When it comes to the daily driving I'm always behind the wheel, but I would not mind if my girlfriend drove either.

-
Back