Is this a factory A/C thermostat?

Heating / Cooling / AC

1. Righty Tighty

Righty Tighty Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:15 PM
    Hey all, I'm in the process of reconnecting everything after rebuilding the 318LA in my 71 Scamp, and I came across this wire. It had been disconnected and a fuse was placed in both ends, then wrapped with electrical tape. KpzmcyTzTzesROpqJ6NKgw.jpg

It seems to go right to the receiver drier, and there are two terminals that seem to match perfectly at the top of it. My new receiver drier doesn't have this, but it does have a capped port that seems to allow the installation of it. Is this my A/C thermostat? I've tried doing an image search on the web, but I can't find that particular doohickey. RuIZhBBVTlyM5+ALgLYBjA.jpg fullsizeoutput_7ed.jpeg

What is this called, and why would the previous owner cap the wire end with a fuse? My guess is that they were having issues somewhere, and the fuse closes the circuit so that the system would continue working. I should note that when the car was running, the A/C would blow, but not cold at all. Heater would work, no cold air.

2. 340doc

340doc Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:15 AM
    That's your low pressure cutoff switch in the dryer. It cuts power to the compressor when the Freon level gets low. Looks like the fuse is there to bypass it. I would install the switch in the new dryer and hook up the plug, then determine what the AC needs to work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Mike69cuda

Mike69cuda 64 is the new 17 FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      11:15 PM
      That is a low pressure switch to stop the compressor if the low side pressure goes to low. Somebody bypassed it with a fuse.

• Righty Tighty

Righty Tighty Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      10:15 PM
      Thanks a bunch!

• Like Like x 1
      • bcschief

bcschief Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        12:15 AM
        Wrong it's a low pressure cutoff switch but it's in the high pressure liquid line.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.