Is this Bad? A little humor

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm at a friends shop and right I when I get there, one of his mechanics just pulled the head off and called me over to look at it. In all my years, I've never seen such carnage.

Toyota blown 2uz fe.jpg

Toyota blown 2uz fe-2.jpg

Didn't break but was shredded. Not sure what started this carnage but truck had 150k miles and we figure timing belt was never replaced.

Ouch. Are you sure that ain't a blender? I didn't think a coyote could come that far apart.

An interference engine is a type of 4-stroke internal combustion piston engine in which one or more valves in the fully open position extends into any area that the piston may travel into.
On yours I would think the belt may have jumped a tooth or two.

Worst i have seen. Honestly i would have poked my camera down the spark plug holes,and likey given up on it. Find a used runner and plop it in. On the older 5.4’s you cant get the head off passenger side. Either pull engine or lift cab.
It sucks.
Engineered to fail.

all of the exhaust valves, and none of the intake ones?

where did you get that engine, the twilight zone?

An interference engine is a type of 4-stroke internal combustion piston engine in which one or more valves in the fully open position extends into any area that the piston may travel into.
On yours I would think the belt may have jumped a tooth or two.

I think that's kinda obvious. lol

all of the exhaust valves, and none of the intake ones?

where did you get that engine, the twilight zone?

Generally how it happens, as the exhaust valves are traveling down as the piston travels up.

Same exact thing happened to my Brother's Tundra recently, but it didn't go quite that bad.
He asked me if I would fix it for him, but I bailed.:D
I feel kind of bad about it but jees man.

Generally how it happens, as the exhaust valves are traveling down as the piston travels up.
I was always told that in a case like this, the valve train slows down at a different rate then the pistons, and it's a crap shoot which ones eat it and which ones don't

I had a little Chevy aveo once, snapped a timing belt on it and 14 out of the 16 valves ate it

Those high output engines have very tight clearance's. And the combustion chambers are tight. IMO the should have a chain and scrap the belts, Several modern engine families use a chain. Ford comes to mind in there Eco Boost engines.....
Ford-2.7L-Ecoboost-V6.jpg

Those high output engines have very tight clearance's. And the combustion chambers are tight. IMO the should have a chain and scrap the belts, Several modern engine families use a chain. Ford comes to mind in there Eco Boost engines.....View attachment 1715140529
Most everything is going to a chain because of cam advancers/phasers for VVT are hard on chains, a belt would not survive long at all.

Is it really worth arguing over? It's tore the hell up. Doesn't really matter now, does it?

I was always told that in a case like this, the valve train slows down at a different rate then the pistons, and it's a crap shoot which ones eat it and which ones don't

I had a little Chevy aveo once, snapped a timing belt on it and 14 out of the 16 valves ate it

Is it really worth arguing over? It's tore the hell up. Doesn't really matter now, does it?
It’s just Human nature to want to dissect the disaster and figure out what happened.

Looks like the belt slipped a few teeth and the exhaust valves all smashed into the pistons as a result.

It’s just Human nature to want to dissect the disaster and figure out what happened.

Looks like the belt slipped a few teeth and the exhaust valves all smashed into the pistons as a result.

Well, they hit SOMETHING didn't they?

Ouch, Good incentive for me to do mine next weekend. I've been putting it off too long. 2006 Tundra 4.7.

Cheaper to fix before its broken..
Just sayin..
Photos really dont show the carnage as well as being right there,the ones that bite it hard are manual transmissions, belt jumps, timing goes out,compression takes a dump as accellerator pedal goes down. Manual trans is hooked up and drags parts round and round til it screeches to a halt.
Bad scene.a pair of heads and a set of pistons,oh that would be pricey.

I gotcha Tooljunkie. Its been on my mind, but we've had rain the past several weekends. It will fit in the garage, but to have room to work, I'll need to let the back couple of feet stick out. Mine's an auto with 127,000 miles.

Last timing belt I did was a 2001 Toyota Solara. Kinda of PITA. Had to work inside the wheel well. This should be much easier!

-
Back