IS THIS BAD?

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I pulled an axle from my 8 3/4 sbp and found this. Is the axle junk? Hoping to keep it as a spare if it will work in a stock street car without wrecking anything in the case.

Thanks

IMG_5272.JPG

Shouldn't be a problem in a stock engined car, you could probably file or grind off any sharp edges. I would be curious what caused it though.

I'd file down the sharp edges and sling it back in so quick nobody would ever know it.

Last edited:
I've seen splines that were clocked (twisted) 3/4 of a tooth right where they engaged. Figure that one out...? Scratched my head when I pulled them out of my 8.75.....

I've seen splines that were clocked (twisted) 3/4 of a tooth right where they engaged. Figure that one out...? Scratched my head when I pulled them out of my 8.75.....
Axle such as what you described came out of a SG unit. Seen it many times, not that unusual. Old 8 3/4” SBP axles where the splines look good all the way thru the length most certainly came out of a open rear.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's replies. I will keep it as a spare. It came out of a 3.23 Sure Grip. I am not sure why it happened, it came out that way and I didn't force or bang it at all. I just pulled the diff apart for maintenance.:thumbsup:

How 'bout this?
Left axle. Dana type sur-grip built and installed by Art Houser about 15 years ago (replacing the worn out cone unit).

I removed it because the axle seal was leaking.

2021-09-29_2030.JPG

upload_2021-9-30_12-0-6.png

Next question is why? or more correctly what caused it?
The extra tight lockup? a lubrication issue? an engagement issue? or just abuse over time?

That is excessive but that wear happens in a SG. The inner and outer axle gear and hub engaging and disengaging causes that.

Thanks Roy.
Mike. That's probably true rather than horsepower itself.. Hot sticky tires in tight turns topped of with on and off power/engine braking.
The fact the guy made the sure grip extra tight probably made it worse. He was thinking 'circle track' dirt, where maybe that has some advantage. I actually didn't like it that tight, but never made the time or effort to have it redone.

I'll put it back together this afternoon, but will skip the autocross this weekend.

Looks like I should plan on another set of axles and getting the diff worked on. Pinion has been thowing small amount of oil for a long time. So that plus getting the sur-grip rebuild 'normal' - I'm assuming its got extra clutches or spacers in it - means its about time.

Thanks Roy.
Mike. That's probably true rather than horsepower itself.. Hot sticky tires in tight turns topped of with on and off power/engine braking.
The fact the guy made the sure grip extra tight probably made it worse. He was thinking 'circle track' dirt, where maybe that has some advantage. I actually didn't like it that tight, but never made the time or effort to have it redone.

I'll put it back together this afternoon, but will skip the autocross this weekend.

Looks like I should plan on another set of axles and getting the diff worked on. Pinion has been thowing small amount of oil for a long time. So that plus getting the sur-grip rebuild 'normal' - I'm assuming its got extra clutches or spacers in it - means its about time.
You need to inspect the side axle gears and hubs. They can wear just like the axles. I’ve had to junk some that were worn to much.

-
Back