Is this dangerous?

-

autopar3000

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm swapping a 5.9 Magnum into my Dart. It's a low mile motor that sounded great and ran strong so I'm planning to drop it in with just a few new bits and pieces (oil pump, timing chain, etc). I pulled the harmonic balancer off today and here's what it looks like.
20181021_224738.jpg

I'm assuming this should be replaced? I have a spare balancer from an LA 318. Will that one work on my 5.9 Magnum?

5.9 mag has it's own balancer. Nothing else is balanced the same as it. A new one at autozone is about $75.

Dangerous? I don't know about that but I wouldn't run it.

You will need a balancer that is used on external balanced engine (5.9). The 318 is internally balanced... do not use that balancer. The 5.9 balancer should be a one piece in which the pulley is made to the harmonic balancer.

You need to replace that crank damper with the proper 5.9 Magnum damper. The tuning and inertia of the 318 LA is not the same. 65'

Go to magnumswaps.com and you'll find all the answers you'll ever need for this conversion! Including part numbers.

It may not be dangerous but it will or probably has spun the outer ring. Replace it.

And even if you could use it, the damaged and cracked elastomer is going to make that old damper ineffective at doing it job... that of damping out high frequency axial vibrations in the crank.

Replace with the correct damper for the application.

And i would avoid getting the cheapest "performance version" i dont mind a stock replacement damper if its on a mild engine. A good friend had a cheap performance damper explode and except for making a good dent in a framerail it also took the outlet from the fuelpump with it and it was not even a high rpm engine,just 6000rpm or so.

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. I didn't mean dangerous like its going to hurt me; I meant dangerous like I'll be in danger of soon having to replace it! I'll keep tearing down the motor and get myself a good factory style replacement balancer.

Now if I could just figure out how to get those busted off exhaust manifold studs out of the head...

Weld a nut to the stud. Then turn it out. The heat helps break it loose.

-
Back