Is this engine knock ?

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I am working on getting the tune right on my 408 and every so often I get a whacking sound . Its as if someone rapped my aluminum intake with a small hammer. Only happens every 30 seconds or so unless I rev the engine ...then it happens every 10 seconds or so and is more frequent as engine get warmer. Could this be detonation ?

4 speed.
I will try to duplicate and video

This occured while setting my curve . I figured I might have had too much advance in under 2000 rpms . I now have my digital curve set .
If its detonation I can tune it out... but if its mechanical I have an issue.
You would think a guy that has been working on engines for 40 years would be familiar with knock/detonation ..lol

Possible I messed up and filled it with regular instead of premium .

408 with W2s , 9.8 comp 246/250 on a 108 cam. Shouldn't have an issue at lower rpms.

Under load it does but what about freewheeling ? Like when I bring rpms up to check timing advance rate .

I agree, should be under load unless your initial is whacked.
I'm thinking a valve snapping shut ?
without sound it's tuff

Pull the plugs, make sure nothing found it’s way into a cylinder.

I had a baseplate screw on a Holley back out during breakin n an engine .
This sound is louder and less frequent .
Kind of a loud snap .
That baseplate screw would go in one cylinder then back up into the intake plenum in succession .

I had a screw stick in the top of a piston, then on cool down it would come out, and rattle on initial start up. Then get stuck during hard RPM. One in a while unloging itself. It will usually smash the electrode.

I doubt that it is detonation. I had a similar noise once on an engine that was running a 440 Mopar AVS carb. This model carb had the acc pump nozzle with brass inserts sticking out; one insert had gone into the engine & was getting hammered on the quench part of the piston. Just an example of 'odd' happenings....

I ran pump gas in my 12.2 to 1 motor on dragweek. Cast iron heads. Quench? None of that here! Thought I would need to adjust timing for the on road portion. Nope, I babied, I mean really drove it like it had an egg under the throttle. I would very gradually get to traffic speed. THE MOST BORING RIDE EVER!! No issues though. I think it would be hard to get it to knock without a load.

What’s the skirt clearance? Piston slap? Does heat effect the noise at all?

What’s the skirt clearance? Piston slap? Does heat effect the noise at all?
It seems to happen after it warms up .
I got the advance map programmed in yesterday and did not notice it after so it may have been random detonation due to over advance and isolated hot spots . Although my chambers are polished so I shouldnt have hot spots.

-
Back