Is this illegal?

-

A56

MoPar Affliction
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
On Ebay. How can this be legal if not also a copyright infringement?
$_57.jpg

Here's the disclaimer:

The plate can be used to replace plates that have been damaged or lost. Each country has different rules on what is required for VIN plate replacement, maybe countries do not allow replacements. It is the responsibility of the person ordering the plate to determine if your DOT will approve the use of this plate. By buying this data plate you send us a picture of your car title or a picture of your old (damaged) plate or proof of ownership or with using this auction you declare that the vin number is your car and you will not use this vin plate illegal

The last sentence went from requiring proof to just the purchaser stating they own the car. Not to mention the copy right.

A much needed service.
Yes you can say there will be illegal use of it, and there very well may be. But there are also cases where it will be just fine.

Anybody getting all worked up over a 318 car with a replaced dash from a slant six? No? I didn’t think so. Same thing. Heck, some of us likely already own one of those.

Last edited:
In a few years these cars that you are arguing about will be just as valuable as model T’s are today. Greed always shows its ugly face and it is on both sides of the coin.

I have wondered the same thing when that ad first popped up on ebay.
The seller is in the Netherlands, and he has carefully worded the ad to possibly avoid any type of legal disputes.
His ad has been running for quite awhile now, and i haven't seen, heard, of any Chrysler lawyers going after him for copyright infringement, or any other legal issues.
He's still in business, selling them.
Guess going after a seller in a foreign country,opens up a whole different can of worms.

The seller is in the Netherlands, and he has carefully worded the ad to possibly avoid any type of legal disputes.
His ad has been running for quite awhile now, and i haven't seen, heard, of any Chrysler lawyers going after him for copyright infringement, or any other legal issues.
Guess going after a seller in a foreign country,opens up a whole different can of worms.
Who, where, I gots to know. Maybe he’s cheaper then the states guy.

In a few years these cars that you are arguing about will be just as valuable as model T’s are today. Greed always shows its ugly face and it is on both sides of the coin.
You might be surprised to find out that model t's aren't that rare or expensive.

Or they just haven't caught up with him yet. I know Harley goes after any and all who use their Bar & Shield with their business name, whether they're building widgits or have a lawn service.

Or they just haven't caught up with him yet. I know Harley goes after any and all who use their Bar & Shield with their business name, whether they're building widgits or have a lawn service.
Yea but HD is still in business and selling product with their logo on it.
Does ‘Chrysler Corp’ even exist today?
Maybe as a legacy with in the conglomerate that owns it, but they certainly don’t call themselves Chrysler.

I dont see it being illegal to sell them. I see it being illegal to use them.

Does ‘Chrysler Corp’ even exist today?
Maybe as a legacy with in the conglomerate that owns it, but they certainly don’t call themselves Chrysler.
Yes, Chrysler exists. Though owned by another company. Chrysler can go after others in other countries very easily.

I dont see it being illegal to sell them. I see it being illegal to use them.
I have several thoughts. Let's say you have an interior fire, and the dash and VIN plate are damaged. OR, and this almost happened to me, you take the VIN plate off so you can sand blast and paint your dash. I see nothing wrong with utilizing this service IF you are replacing a real VIN plate for a legitimate reason. If you want to turn your /6 69 barracuda into a 440 Cuda, that is a different story altogether. However, if you are going to go to the trouble of buying a fake VIN tag to pass your car off as something much rarer and valuable, you are going to need a fake fender tag too. are those available. Let's say you get perfect forgeries of VIN tag, fender tag and build sheet, the VIN is NOT going to match your title. what can you do about that?

I have several thoughts. Let's say you have an interior fire, and the dash and VIN plate are damaged. OR, and this almost happened to me, you take the VIN plate off so you can sand blast and paint your dash. I see nothing wrong with utilizing this service IF you are replacing a real VIN plate for a legitimate reason. If you want to turn your /6 69 barracuda into a 440 Cuda, that is a different story altogether. However, if you are going to go to the trouble of buying a fake VIN tag to pass your car off as something much rarer and valuable, you are going to need a fake fender tag too. are those available. Let's say you get perfect forgeries of VIN tag, fender tag and build sheet, the VIN is NOT going to match your title. what can you do about that?
Claim you bought it out of state and apply for a new title ?

Wait...why are you asking?

"use them for illegal purposes" is how I should have worded that. Good point.

Claim you bought it out of state and apply for a new title ?

Wait...why are you asking?
I doubt if it is that easy. I have brought a car into Kansas from out of state three times. First was my 69 Barracuda. That was no problem. Then we bought an RV in Arizona in 2012, and you would have thought we were trying to fence a stolen RV. The manager at the RV dealership was really mad. He had never had his paperwork refused. It took over three months. Then, in 2015, I bought a Mercedes 500SL at a Mecum auction in Kansas City for a really cheap price because the top did not work. I planned to flip it. Once again I was refused. I got a little loud, and a manager came out. I finally got the title.
Like I said, I always wanted an all original, fully documented, matching number 69 440 Cuda. LOL

Not illegal in Australia....

And if it didn't have the chrysler corporation wording it is just a piece of metal with numbers...
And you can legally buy a decal with that wording.so really what's the big deal...if your tag is lost or damaged...just get a new one...the only country that carries on about it is the usa....overseas couldn't care less
Here in Oz it's the stamped numbers on the shell authorities are concerned with not a piece of tin that is riveted on

Last edited:
Just think of how many were lost on the padded dash cars. Great replacement. But do beware to CHANGE the numbers are what's illegal.

In the United States it is illegal to make these, I'm sure if you dig into the code you'd probably find the wording such to it must be the originally equipped tag but who's to know. If I needed a tag because I lost the original or it was damaged I would have no problem ordering one of these. Is it legal? probably not.

Is it legal to order one and have it shipped to use as a key chain? No idea, again wouldn't stop me.

Again, I'm not going to buy a car without a tag with the car.

Alan

I have a friend that has a yard full of old mopars and one of them is a 69 B-body with a fake VIN plate denoting it as a Hemicar. Well one day a few years ago the guys from Graveyard cars stopped by his place to look over his cars for parts or future projects. When they saw that "Hemi car" they got all excited and wanted to know if he would sell it . He told them that the car was the bane of his exhistance and that he was going to chop it up and sell the parts off .... they were freaking out !

Usually the terms "tamper" or "alter" are used in statutes concerning vehicle VINs and what is illegal.

That leaves open for interpretation what constitutes tampering or altering.

Replacing a damaged or missing VIN tag on a legally owned vehicle with that same VIN, could be argued is neither.

Usually the terms "tamper" or "alter" are used in statutes concerning vehicle VINs and what is illegal.

That leaves open for interpretation what constitutes tampering or altering.

Replacing a damaged or missing VIN tag on a legally owned vehicle with that same VIN, could be argued is neither.

Whereas that may be true there are specific statutes concerning the manufacturing of the tags as well. It's not a one line code.

Alan

-
Back