Issues with 360 engine mounts

-

Truckie

Reaction score
I’m putting a 360 Magnum in my sons 67 Dart. Was a slant six car. Now has the 68-72 k frame. I bought a pair of engine mounts from a guy that were supposed to be for a 360 but either they weren’t or I got one wrong one. Driver side was a little too wide so I had to use a shim on the back bolt and the passenger side had the holes for the rubber mount on the back side of the mount instead of the front part. I just drilled new holes for that so the rubber mount was in the right spot.

At first I bolted the rubber engine mounts to the engine so the bolt that goes into the K frame was on top. When I test fit the engine, it would sit all the way down. It was like the slot in the k frame wasn’t low enough.
Next I tried flipping over the passenger side rubber mount so the bolt that goes to the k frame was in the lower position. I stuck the passenger side in the round hole on the k frame mount and the other side fit in the slot. The mounts bottomed out, but I feel the passenger of the engine was sitting a little lowe than the drivers side.

My next thought was to flip the passenger mount back over and lengthening the slots in the k frame so the motor would sit properly. I figured I should seek advice before trying that. I’ll attach pics to show what I’m talking about.
First pic show the mounts with the passenger side flipped. Second shows the holes/ slots I was talking about in k frame. Third pic shows what both of my mounts looked like. Both were same width and had the holes in the same place. Only difference between the was one had two holes on each tab were it bolts to block. The other had two holes on one and one hole on the other.

5D015662-2422-4D41-82D8-B12CC7F97BD1.jpeg

DA068D61-B926-4ED7-B4C5-A08E6B265129.jpeg

256341F2-B37B-443F-BD19-259C807B2840.jpeg

Last edited:
The LH mount included 1 extra shim washer for that purpose if needed.

All I can tell you is that the rubber insulators are incorrectly mounted to the engine mounts. Pix of a 69 K frame with V8 installed.

The pic of just the mount have shown is the RH pass side mount

Nobody else had any issues with these.

Hope this helps.
Matt

Screenshot_20210402-184039_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210402-184003_Gallery.jpg

The LH mount included 1 extra shim washer for that purpose if needed.

All I can tell you is that the rubber insulators are incorrectly mounted to the engine mounts. Pix of a 69 K frame with V8 installed.

The pic of just the mount have shown is the RH pass side mount

Nobody else had any issues with these.

Hope this helps.
Matt

View attachment 1715717669

View attachment 1715717670
I had mine mounted the way you have pictured. One side would sit with the bolt at the bottom of the slot in the k frame. The other side the bolt hit the bottom of the slot about half way down the bolt. The slot needed to be longer for the rubber part to sit flush.
Where did the shim you talk about go? Between the rubber mount and the k frame? How thick was it?

I went back and flipped the passenger side insulator back the way it is supposed to be. Here are pics of what I have now. I also included a couple pics of my passenger side mount. It’s the one I had to drill new holes in to put the insulator in the correct position. Anyone have any thoughts on why it won’t sit flush on the k frame?

67D527F6-DB9F-44CB-8294-801F903667EF.jpeg

98731EE6-143C-4A6A-A6BA-47C7B2F8391E.jpeg

341CD9C4-31C5-4458-8091-2F9BA24268DD.jpeg

C501293C-6DC6-48EF-8B74-B45D47C024FB.jpeg

9A269DEA-1EA2-4E04-BDB9-8B38042EFADA.jpeg

Comparing my pics to the ones Matt posted, I feel like my drivers side insulator is mounted lower than Matt’s pic. I feel like if I redrilled the insulator mounting holes maybe a 1/4” higher, my problem would be solved. Thoughts?

Like this. Likely why engine wont sit level. Mounts are on wrong sides of the block. You shouldn't have had to drill any new holes. Like I said. I sold 8 identical sets of these things. Nobody else had an issue with them.

Drivers use mount has 3 mounting holes for the block. Passenger side has 4 mounting holes for the block because passenger side mount is the same mount used on a 318, and some 318s had 4 mounting holes on the passenger side of the block.

Screenshot_20210402-221157_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Like this. Likely why engine wont sit level. Mounts are on wrong sides of the block. You shouldn't have had to drill any new holes. Like I said. I sold 8 identical sets of these things. Nobody else had an issue with them.

View attachment 1715717791
I didn’t buy mounts from you. The reason I had to drill new holes in the one because the ones I got, both sides were identical. The only difference is one has 2 holes on each tab instead of only one hole on one of the tabs.

Did not read the full post here. But you have a K-Frame that is originally for a 318 V8.

360 has differnt engine mount tabs than the 318s on the blocks.

Look up 318 engine mount brackets and compare them to the mounts the guy sent you. Can check on e-bay.

Sounds like wrong mounts to go with a 360 on the 318 K-Frame.

Ask @Princess Valiant she is pretty good at this, she put a 360 in her A Body

Moparmat2000 is good too..

George Jets, please dont confuse the guy. the 273, 318, 340, 360 V8s all fit the same V8 K frame from 67-72. The passenger side mount that bolts to the block is the same for all 4 engines into the 67-72 K frame,

the drivers side mount is what's specific. A 273 318 Drivers side mount will work on a 340 360 if you use a longer bolt and a spacer between the aft ear and bracket. Pic shown is a spool mount, but idea is the same with the flat mounts.

Screenshot_2015-07-26-18-34-48.jpg

George Jets, please dont confuse the guy. the 273, 318, 340, 360 V8s all fit the same V8 K frame from 67-72. The passenger side mount that bolts to the block is the same for all 4 engines into the 67-72 K frame,

the drivers side mount is what's specific. A 273 318 Drivers side mount will work on a 340 360 if you use a longer bolt and a spacer between the aft ear and bracket. Pic shown is a spool mount, but idea is the same with the flat mounts.

View attachment 1715717811

OK great, looks like you have it figured out for the guy. Thanks

More. You should not have a problem after these pix.

View attachment 1715717795
This is what mine looks like. I obviously was sold the wrong mounts, but I feel like I can make them work. Now that I know they aren’t the correct ones installed wrong I’ll just modify them until I’m happy with how the engine sits in the car.

5E688AE4-754C-47DC-899A-B788237B5AC9.jpeg

They sold you 2 pass side mounts
I agree that I have two of the same side. But the one I have on the drivers side wouldn’t work on the passenger side because one tab only has one hole, plus the holes for the insulator would be to the rear of the engine instead of the front. I feel like I have two drivers side mounts, just not for a 360. That’s why I had to drill new holes on the one I put on the passenger side.
So after seeing what I have, what is your suggestion to make what I have work? I’m thinking slot the holes that the insulators bolt to so it can move up enough so they sit flat on the k frame

Last edited:
Heres my advice. You dont have 2 drivers side mounts, you have 2 passenger side mounts. That's fact. I have been messing with this **** longer than I care to remember. See pic below. Pic is NOS pair of 67-72 V8 mounts. See the one circled. Thats what a drivers side bracket looks like. Has 3 block mounting holes. You have 2 of the one on the right. Passenger side brackets. Get a drivers side 67-72 A body 273 , 318 mount which is circled in the pic.

The 273 318 drivers side bracket is more readily available than the 340 , 360 and then just spacer the aft ear. Then it's a bolt in, and engine sits level. Then sell off the extra RH mount. These parts in the pic below are not mine. Just found em doing a quick search on fabo to give you an idea what to look for.

If you dont want to find a proper LH mount, then install the one on the right side of the engine, put the rubber mount on the mount bracket, oriented like I showed you. Set the engine in with "only" the RH mount on the block and a jack with a plywood square under the oil pan, and level it side to side, then mod your LH mount from the block down to the K Frame. Hope you know how to weld.

Please listen to it to prevent chasing your tail around your shop even more than you already have.

Screenshot_20210402-231716_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back