It is what it is......I guess

-

mycuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just a rant needed off my old chest.
Over 30 years ago, I was getting into a body Mopars, I loved them.
These cars are unique and something I was proud to have. I had older guys that sold me parts for fair prices and were generally interested in helping me in my new found hobby.
I can remember to this day their names and locations. It meant and still means alot to me.

To this day, I have done only things to help others in this great Mopar hobby.
The parts I may obtain in bundle, I purchase knowing I need some of them for my current project. The others I sell to others to sustain money to keep the project alive. 4 kids
5 cars, and all the bills to make it still viable at all means. I dont sell parts for a living.
I sell parts to be able to work on my car and the cycle continues.
It just seems lately that people think they are getting ripped off.
Hey, I dont sell a F***** 8 3/4 drum to drum driver quality for $1000? Just to get that straight. Im really getting tired of people bitchin about a $12 part they couldnt find anywhere.
I have more important things to do than to try to explain that.
I will continue to help newcomers and provide my experience to others as I feel the need.
That wont change.

However, Want to commend this site for its foundation and wealth of knowledgable
members and unlimited and detailed info provided here.

People and members here have and should never have anything to ***** about.
Peace.

Dave

This is becoming a problem for all businesses too. It's a sense of entitlement that people have now. They think they should be paid well, but nobody else deserves it from them. They want top quality yesterday...with excellent customer service too. And all of that should be given to them for free because you are capitalist scum.

I'm with you Dave. Hell I've sent people on here parts they needed for free. Just pay the shipping. Sometimes haven't even gotten a Thank you. Oh well supposedly helping them out.

Same here. I am selective on who I will deal with after sending someone some stuff they needed for a project for free. When the stuff was lost due to UPS they insisted I send them the money UPS paid me for the value of the lost items.

Same here. I am selective on who I will deal with after sending someone some stuff they needed for a project for free. When the stuff was lost due to UPS they insisted I send them the money UPS paid me for the value of the lost items.
You've helped me out before. With the dash pad for my 'Cuda and I appreciate it>>>

Wow. I got nothing else for that.

Wow wtf??

Wow. I got nothing else for that.

I think all the outsourcing is one reason for it. Over time, we've outsourced so much, that there's not much left of American products to speak of. America once made the best products in the world. Over time, that's changed due to so much outsourcing. IMO, the outsourcing has happened because we as a society are spoiled rotten. We want it now and we want it cheap, quality be damned.

I see it every day at work. Very few people even opt for the mid grade brake pads. It's always "gimmie the cheapest ones" and why not? The cheapest ones have the same lifetime warranty as the best. We have become a disposable society. When it breaks, just buy another one and throw the old one away. Nobody fixes anything anymore.

When I repair brakes, for example, I like to rebuild the original calipers and wheel cylinders. I don't trust imported metallurgy for brake parts, plus, rebuild kits are cheaper and I'm cheap. Also, one of my most favorite things ever is making old, worn out things good again.

Why though should people buy new wheel cylinders or calipers and go through all that "trouble" when they can buy new wheel cylinders for $9.99 and calipers for $14.99? Nobody wants to fix anything anymore. They want to sit on their asses playin on the internet and wave a magic wand over their car and fix everything. And they want it fixed free.

I get asked every single day "is that the best you can do?" even on a $4.99 can of paint. Ridiculous. We actually get calls asking how much taillight bulbs are. Everybody thinks they deserve somethin for nuthiun or at a huge discount.

A neighbor of mine was throwing out a watering wand in his trash earlier this week and I asked him why. He said something broke and it leaks all over at the handle. He said he was just going to buy a new one

I asked him what it would cost to buy an new one. He said around $25. I looked it over and said I could sell him one that didn’t leak for $15. He said yes and followed me into my garage.

I took the handle off the old one, grabbed a 50 cent washer from my organizer bin and replaced the broken one that was in there. I took it outside and connected it to the hose and showed that it didn’t leak anymore.

He stood wide-eyed and said “that’s great!”. Then he reached for the repaired wand and tried to take it. I pulled it away and looked him in the eye and said “It’s $15 if you want it.”

He stood flabbergasted and tried to argue, but I explained that the price was because of the knowledge I had to repair it that he didn’t have. He eventually understood that I saved him $10 and that the cost of repair was more than just how easy it was to do or what the parts cost to do it.

It was a new experience for him to understand that the price for someone else’s knowledge isn’t always free like the internet.

Isn't it amazing that we live in a "throw away" society. LMMFAO at the story above.

I'm with you Dave. Hell I've sent people on here parts they needed for free. Just pay the shipping. Sometimes haven't even gotten a Thank you. Oh well supposedly helping them out.
I gave a guy a great 440 crank, stock, forged, never did get even a thank you ! BUT, there are people on here that are really knowledgable on certain things that think because they can answer a question or two , that ask 3 times the price of some parts. Example , $153 something , plus shipping , for an American part , found it elsewhere for $53 plus shipping , same part !!

Sadly it’s not surprising hearing how impolite or rude most folks are these days based on the experiences posted so far in this thread. Generally people have become a lot more selfish over the decades. Rather then asking “what can I do to help?” or “how can I help?” they think about themselves and ask “what can I get out of it?” or “what can you do for me?” first.

Last edited:
Happens at the swaps too. A guy would not even give 20 bucks for a good cast BB water pump housing and pump. Wanted to give me 15 three different times and acting like he's doing me a favor.
Told him to go pack sand. I figured he's probably one of the clowns on "gold-bay" wanting 60 for them.

A neighbor of mine was throwing out a watering wand in his trash earlier this week and I asked him why. He said something broke and it leaks all over at the handle. He said he was just going to buy a new one

I asked him what it would cost to buy an new one. He said around $25. I looked it over and said I could sell him one that didn’t leak for $15. He said yes and followed me into my garage.

I took the handle off the old one, grabbed a 50 cent washer from my organizer bin and replaced the broken one that was in there. I took it outside and connected it to the hose and showed that it didn’t leak anymore.

He stood wide-eyed and said “that’s great!”. Then he reached for the repaired wand and tried to take it. I pulled it away and looked him in the eye and said “It’s $15 if you want it.”

He stood flabbergasted and tried to argue, but I explained that the price was because of the knowledge I had to repair it that he didn’t have. He eventually understood that I saved him $10 and that the cost of repair was more than just how easy it was to do or what the parts cost to do it.

It was a new experience for him to understand that the price for someone else’s knowledge isn’t always free like the internet.

Similar story..My dad was best refrig mechanic ever. People would bring their cars to our house where he had a part time shop. A guy complained one time about the $30 cost to put freon in his system, saying it was only one little can. Dad told him that it was only $5 for the amount of freon he used, but knowing where to put it was worth $25.

i had a buddy call me the other day, asked if i knew anything about transmissions
he said he was driving his truck (01 dakota) and hit a street sign
when he pulled into work, he couldnt shift the truck in park...the lever just flopped around
not being able to go into park, the NSS wouldnt let him start the truck

so i told him to crawl under there, i described where the gear selector on the transmission is, and suggested the cable or rod had simply popped of
his response?
its been raining and its wet down there

he called be a few days later to give me an update
he had called a tow truck and explained to the driver what was going on
i guess the driver manned up, slid under there and popped the cable back on and now, everything is honkey dorey again

i had a buddy call me the other day, asked if i knew anything about transmissions
he said he was driving his truck (01 dakota) and hit a street sign
when he pulled into work, he couldnt shift the truck in park...the lever just flopped around
not being able to go into park, the NSS wouldnt let him start the truck

so i told him to crawl under there, i described where the gear selector on the transmission is, and suggested the cable or rod had simply popped of
his response?
its been raining and its wet down there

he called be a few days later to give me an update
he had called a tow truck and explained to the driver what was going on
i guess the driver manned up, slid under there and popped the cable back on and now, everything is honkey dorey again
Justice was served by whatever he had to pay the tow driver.

I can relate had the same issue offered parts for a 66 barracuda parts car had one person explain he was in need of parts for his personal car I related to his request and fell for his B.S.. purchased what he wanted and tried to cut the throat of another (GUESS) to get parts I promised to them only to find out he purchased them to put on eBay with a 400 % markup. Then it even gets better I realized that I had sold one of my own personal parts and contacted them to at least sell me back the little 2 inch by 1 inch bracket that is on the inner quarter panel for the prop rod only to be told to give him $125 plus shipping. Then when I posted other parts a few month later He had the balls to ask me if I would sell another one of my prop rods for a needy friend with the bullshit story of the car he was building. I replied “ARE YOU FOR REAL, AFTER THE BULLSHIT LAST TIME GUESS YOU FORGOT WHAT I NEEDED BACK!) I wouldn’t sell him the sweat from my dogs ballsac it’s worth more than selling to him.

mycuda
Dave, I met you in Belvidere, we did mopar business, it was pleasant and fair, and i stopped at Beef-a-Roo :)
Daves69
I gotta admit, one of the fun things of swap meet, for me anyways, is dealing. I hope not to offend anyone, just that flea markets and swap meets brings out the offers in me :) If it's what I need or want, i'll pay the price, but I'll try first.

I enjoy going to swap meets and selling stuff, usually meet some interesting people and talk about cars, always a good time. And I like to help people out by sometimes giving them or selling them something really cheap.

However, it seems like there is usually at least one jerk who will look at something, ask what you can do on it, I give him a number, he then says maybe, going to look around. Then comes back, asks if you can do any better, I say no, and he walks away again. Comes back a third time, starts nitpicking on the part and throws out a ridiculous number, expecting that you will take it because of all the alleged faults he pointed out. At which point I will tell him I'm not desperate to sell this part, and I will take it home and try again some other time, instead of taking his shitty offer. I actually had this happen with a new in the box ring & pinion I had.

The guy seemed genuinely taken aback that I didn't go along with his line of BS. Where do clowns like this learn his negotiation skills, from watching Richard Rawlings?

Swap meets are different. People are there to sell things they want to rid of, usually, and not always mopar enthusiasts for the better.
I go to local meets in summer, thats cool and bargaining is the norm.
Ive got nothing against bargaining, if you know what the f*** your talking about.

Carlisle Pa. I was selling parts at 5 spots on the corner of the car coral 2005.

Having fun with people. I had two air Cleaners. I put a price on them 2 for $5 or 1 for $10.

I had a guy wanting to buy 1 for $5. I told him no if he wanted to pay $5 he had to take 2. This went on for awhile and someone standing in the background said he would take the both for $5. I said sold.

He paid took both threw one 2bbl in the garbage behind him and walked away with the other 4bbl. The first guy started yelling as the second walked away. Then he turned and call me an F'n Asshole.

We laughed hysterically for an hour. Then we just started coming up with other pranks I never had so much fun at Carlisle in my life.

The world is full of cheap-*** ****’s. I should know. Im one of them.
I shop for a deal,rarely lowball and if i do, its because i know what its worth.
Local site,kijiji is full of cheap mofos.
I dislike paying top dollar for parts that are nowhere near useable.
500 for a pair of dirty ragged a body bucket seats? No. For a pair of useable ones i would pay.
I have a pair,happy to get 100 for them,if i dont have to pull them.

Parts or whole cars,it will happen to the best.
What pisses me off is the scumbags always come out smelling like roses.

Remember that saying,”nice guys finish last” well i usually hold the door for them....

Im really getting tired of people bitchin about a $12 part they couldnt find anywhere.

screw them.. advertise the part/parts at what you feel is right.,. if they don't want it for an agreed upon price then screw them they don't get the part.. if no one ever buys it then they were right you were asking too much. if it sells then they missed out...

I think all the outsourcing is one reason for it. Over time, we've outsourced so much, that there's not much left of American products to speak of. America once made the best products in the world. Over time, that's changed due to so much outsourcing. IMO, the outsourcing has happened because we as a society are spoiled rotten. We want it now and we want it cheap, quality be damned.

I see it every day at work. Very few people even opt for the mid grade brake pads. It's always "gimmie the cheapest ones" and why not? The cheapest ones have the same lifetime warranty as the best. We have become a disposable society. When it breaks, just buy another one and throw the old one away. Nobody fixes anything anymore.

When I repair brakes, for example, I like to rebuild the original calipers and wheel cylinders. I don't trust imported metallurgy for brake parts, plus, rebuild kits are cheaper and I'm cheap. Also, one of my most favorite things ever is making old, worn out things good again.

Why though should people buy new wheel cylinders or calipers and go through all that "trouble" when they can buy new wheel cylinders for $9.99 and calipers for $14.99? Nobody wants to fix anything anymore. They want to sit on their asses playin on the internet and wave a magic wand over their car and fix everything. And they want it fixed free.

I get asked every single day "is that the best you can do?" even on a $4.99 can of paint. Ridiculous. We actually get calls asking how much taillight bulbs are. Everybody thinks they deserve somethin for nuthiun or at a huge discount.

My friend's dad used to own a gas station in the 70's and did repairs there.... When visiting him a while back, he still has the 'tackle box' assortment of o-rings to rebuild wheel cylinders...

-
Back