It just never ends does it?

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I guess in a way that's ok, because it gives me something to do that I really enjoy.

Put all new wheels and tires on the Dart and have a shudder type vibration starting at about 80 miles an hour, and getting more pronounced as the speed increases.
I recently twisted my driveshaft in half and had a brand new driveshaft built by a local shop that was recommended to me by multiple people.
All new right down to the yokes and U joints and guaranteed up to 600hp.
Brand new Ridler wheels (9.5 wide 20's on the back and 8" wide 18's on the front.)
Tires are brand new Nitto 245/40x20 and 225/40x18 and are rated at 180mph continuous.
Balancing done by the local Discount tire store.

Yesterday I checked my toe and it's right where it should be at 1/8 with poly front bushings.
Today I'm going to put it in the air, check for any lost sticky weights and run it to do a visual on the wheels and tires at speed.
If I don't find anything there I will put the front tires on the back and check again, even though it feels like it's originating in the back of the car. (steering wheel doesn't shake or vibrate)

The above should eliminate the driveshaft (the vibes are too slow for that anyway) as they are more at wheel speed.
Should eliminate the wheels, tires and axles as well, though I didn't have this problem before the new wheels and tires.
My old tires were only rated for 120 continuous, and I did hundreds and hundreds of miles on those at 80-90+ for hours, but I couldn't trust them at over 100mph for any length of time because of their speed rating.
Who wants to loose a tire at over 100mph?:eek:

I am running centric rings and they fit nice and tight on my hubs and wheel centers both.
Also have all new locking lugs.

I'm really suspicious of the tires themselves just from the feel of it, but we'll see.
Whenever I ask about precise high speed wheel balancing I get "The speed limit is 75 anyway" and that just kind of pisses me off more than anything else.:D
I want this car to be able to do 130 or better all day long if I want, and it's soooo close.:D

Anyway, we'll see.

Last edited:
Sticky wheel weights come off, when first installed clean the wheel with alcohol where
they are applied and put a mark around the weight area so if the weight(s) come off
it can be easily seen.

Sticky wheel weights come off, when first installed clean the wheel with alcohol where
they are applied and put a mark around the weight area so if the weight(s) come off
it can be easily seen.

Usually they leave a bit of glue where they were, but,,,
It should get obvious off the ground at over 100 if one is out of balance even if all the weights are there.

Thanks

I hate sticky weights. I always have them put on hammer on weights only on the inside.

High dollar wheel's and tires then take them to the discount tire shop?
:wtf:

The name of the company is Discount Tire and they seemed pretty good
Yea I thought that myself, but it's the best there is around here.
There is one other place in the next town I am going to check into when I figure out whats up.
Your "WTF" is totally justified.

The last place I took it in to have them balanced it was shaking the left front fender and I found out it was 1.5oz out on that one tire.
It's really frustrating when a shop can't even do tire balancing right.

Did you check the tail shaft on trans after twisting drive shaft?

The guy that does my wheels and tires, slicks and front runners will stop and recalibrate his balancer prior to balancing my stuff.

Yes I did, thoroughly inspected everything even though it wasn't a violent event.
It twisted off right at the front yoke at a green light, and was so not out of balance I thought it was the rear end at first.
The car was barely moving and what was left of the shaft was laying on top of the exhaust pipes hardly turning until the car was fully stopped.
Basically just the yoke and Ujoint with a little bit of the tube metal was spinning on the back of the trans.

This feels so like a tire shudder.

Personally I have to use sticky weights because I take my car to the drag strip occasionally. You can't have any hammer on weights flying off at the track and taking yourself or someone else out..
If you're feeling it in the rear maybe giving the leaf spring bushings and such a good looking over so all your geometry back there is nice and straight. I'm in that same ballpark that maybe it wasn't just the Driveline that got hurt...

Personally I have to use sticky weights because I take my car to the drag strip occasionally. You can't have any hammer on weights flying off at the track and taking yourself or someone else out..
If you're feeling it in the rear maybe giving the leaf spring bushings and such a good looking over so all your geometry back there is nice and straight. I'm in that same ballpark that maybe it wasn't just the Driveline that got hurt...

This was there before the driveshaft anyway.
I have to have sticky weights due to the design of these wheels.
Your comment about other things is still valid though and I'll check.
I have all poly in the back specifically so this stuff wouldn't happen, but who knows at this point.

At 80 miles an hour I start to wonder about the wind Dynamics and aerodynamics? Possibly something sticking out on one side further than the other or some kind of tail draft...
Understand I'm totally spitballing...

Have the tires and wheels Road Force Balanced.

I would love to have every tire I ever run done, but no one around here does it believe it or not.
It just reinforces my beliefs that every driver and every business around is farm quality.:D
I say they drive like farmers in an open field like there is no one else around.
Sure, a driveshaft for a mower doesn't have to be high speed balanced, but we don't all drive tractors.

What city are you in ? If you have a highline car dealership they will have one. And be happy to help you out.

I would love to have every tire I ever run done, but no one around here does it believe it or not.
It just reinforces my beliefs that every driver and every business around is farm quality.:D
I say they drive like farmers in an open field like there is no one else around.
Sure, a driveshaft for a mower doesn't have to be high speed balanced, but we don't all drive tractors.

At 80 miles an hour I start to wonder about the wind Dynamics and aerodynamics? Possibly something sticking out on one side further than the other or some kind of tail draft...

It could even be a shock, but it definitely feels like a wheel or tire hopping.
Waiting for a call back from one of our local Mopar group to see if we can do this on his concrete instead of my stupid gravel.
If not, I'll do it on gravel.

What city are you in ? If you have a highline car dealership they will have one. And be happy to help you out.

Closest decent size place is Phoenix at 80 miles away one way.
I live in Prescott Valley,AZ 86314

Actually I just did a search and it shows Discount tire does road force balancing.
If I was the manager in that store I would chew someone's backside for not trying to upsell that feature.:D
Still I would like to find a better place, so I'll look into it more if I don't find any reason for the problem.
I had my brand new Michelin tires on my Fiat Sport Spyder in CA road force balanced and it made a huge difference.
They called it Match Balancing back there, but it was the same process using the same kind of equipment.

Got access to an old school bubble balancer to double check the balance job they did,

Try swapping your rear wheels and tires from left to right and vice versa. See if the vibration gets better or worse or just goes away.

Sounds like a tire out of balance to me.

it can be easily seen.

I hate sticky weights. I always have them put on hammer on weights only on the inside.

The guy that does my wheels and tires, slicks and front runners will stop and recalibrate his balancer prior to balancing my stuff.

They should redo them for free.

Have a look at this ****.
These supposed "Extreme Performance" tires apparently suck.
So bad at 90 it throws the rim into a wobble.
How can anyone expect to run tires like this at the rated 180 continuous without tearing the wheel off the hub.
Look in the second video how bad it distorts the wheel at about the 13 second mark.

Idk if this will work for u. On bigger tires on 4x4s we install balancing beads. There is a formula for the tire size. The tires also wear perfect. Kim

Michelin & pirelli are my favorite tires. Rarely have an issue & last a long time. Can’t always get them in old car sizes though.

-
Back