It's called "git r did"

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
So I'm not sure if hustle is the correct word but it seems younger people don't have it.

So I'm helping a young (22) fella I know named malachi, he's wanting to get into cars so he asked me if I have any early barracudas, he wanted a 65 or 64. I don't have any early As except my 63 valiant wagon and it's not for sale so I contacted a local mopar guy I've known for years and as I expected, I located a 65 barracuda with a 273/ auto. Complete and pretty rust free and in his budget because my friend gave him the buddy discount.

So I pick up malachi and his friend (another kid his age, who wants to work on cars) with the truck and trailer and we go to get the cuda.

We get there and the two guys just stand there like Beavis and butthead. I'm like, "let's get the ramps down and get the air tank out of the truck and let's go"

It took both of them and 5 minutes to unpin one ramp door and another 5 minutes to slide the ramp out. I did the other side in like 30 seconds.

Then one starts on the air tank and the other one just stands there and I'm like "get a chain and open the hood and wrap the chain around the k frame and make sure it's not going to get tangled with anything" .... deer in headlights so I start doing it myself.

So I got it hooked up and pulled the battery from the back of the truck, hooked up the winch. Then I notice both of them are working on filling up a tire and they have not even finished one tire yet.

So I'm like, " let's not waste all afternoon and all the air on one tire, if it doesn't hold air, screw it and move on to the next one, LET'S GO, LET'S GO!!!

I finished pulling the car up and getting it tied down while Beavis and butthead watched me and they have seen this before.

I told them, In my day when you work in a shop or yard, it's usually flat rate so you can't afford to move slow. Hopefully they will get it and get some "git r did" going

Sadly that’s how most of this generation is. No ambition, entitled little babies. U have to tell them everything to do. If u tell them 6 things they may do 2 of them. If that. At my work they’re on their phones more than not. They are as lazy as the day is long. Don’t get me wrong there is some excellent kids out there also. Kim

Last edited:
I recently sold an old dryer.
Same exact experience. Young guy showed up, paid me, brought an older gentleman with him.

I offered to swing it into the back of their pickup, and the older gent declines. "this is lesson time for the young'n".

I watched for 40 minutes as this 20 something struggled to help lift a dryer. A dryer. This thing weighs about 90 lbs. The old guy did all the lifting in the end.

Same when it came time to strap it. The kid had a thousand yard stare looking at this ratchet strap like it was Chinese algebra.

It was like watching a train wreck. At his age it would have taken all of 5 minutes to do the same job. I just don't get it.

Call a video game programmer, and have them make a similator on restoring a car. He would have gotten the car restored quicker than you'd get the real thing on the trailer.

They are so used to the video game world, they can barely function in the real one. My son will be 33 this year and he is a carbon copy of them. He cannot even read an analog clock.

They are so used to the video game world, they can barely function in the real one. My son will be 33 this year and he is a carbon copy of them. He cannot even read an analog clock.
I know a journeyman mechanic that can’t read a digital anything. He is maybe 40 years old. Kim

They're not all like that.
Less than two years ago, I hired a young lady fresh out of high school. I had my doubts, but I know some of her famliy. They're good people, so I rolled the dice.
Katie's fantastic at her job, fits in well with the crew, and the customers love her. She likes when I go on vacation because the chauvinists that insist on talking to me all the time, can't. They'll look around for awhile, then ask. She tells 'em they've gotta deal with her--the 19-year-old female who usually knows more about cars than they do. Some of those guys still look for me, but she's built a lot of credibility in our male-dominated field. Our more competent customers trust her completely. She's intelligent, a hard worker and really has her **** together for a gal that's not yet 20.
Did I mention Katie's a total gearhead? She's driving her 2011 Malibu at the moment, but her summer car is a double-red 1968 AMX 290/4-speed--she owns, maintains, and repairs it herself.

food for thought..

Sadly... people forget when they were young and stupid.. because.. they themselves have become old and stupid? Nudge nudge . You may be experiencing some ego rush.You impress you, your performance. You're proud. Nothing wrong with feeling confidence.
Reality is ..they've not the know how or repetitious experience us older wiser 'seasoned' folks have... that's why we say "seasoned" . Being young...what's important and even an identity..isnt quite formed yet.
Go jump on a skateboard, a bike, a pogo stick, a big wheel, a trampoline. ..you'll feel better about it. It might level the field.
Jmo

Last edited:
I'm just gonna drop this pic here as a comparison
That's my 9 year old, just sitting by the fire (it was about 35 degrees outside) and that's where she decided to go nit

20230324_165838.jpg

Well Princess if you are the fine wine in your picture, I must say I would have a hard time thinking of what I should be doing. And I mean this in a nice way....

Then teach them rather than complaining.
If they want to learn they will be following your every move, if not than maybe getting hands dirty isn’t their thing
To many folks ringing their own bell here

So I'm not sure if hustle is the correct word but it seems younger people don't have it.

So I'm helping a young (22) fella I know named malachi, he's wanting to get into cars so he asked me if I have any early barracudas, he wanted a 65 or 64. I don't have any early As except my 63 valiant wagon and it's not for sale so I contacted a local mopar guy I've known for years and as I expected, I located a 65 barracuda with a 273/ auto. Complete and pretty rust free and in his budget because my friend gave him the buddy discount.

So I pick up malachi and his friend (another kid his age, who wants to work on cars) with the truck and trailer and we go to get the cuda.

We get there and the two guys just stand there like Beavis and butthead. I'm like, "let's get the ramps down and get the air tank out of the truck and let's go"

It took both of them and 5 minutes to unpin one ramp door and another 5 minutes to slide the ramp out. I did the other side in like 30 seconds.

Then one starts on the air tank and the other one just stands there and I'm like "get a chain and open the hood and wrap the chain around the k frame and make sure it's not going to get tangled with anything" .... deer in headlights so I start doing it myself.

So I got it hooked up and pulled the battery from the back of the truck, hooked up the winch. Then I notice both of them are working on filling up a tire and they have not even finished one tire yet.

So I'm like, " let's not waste all afternoon and all the air on one tire, if it doesn't hold air, screw it and move on to the next one, LET'S GO, LET'S GO!!!

I finished pulling the car up and getting it tied down while Beavis and butthead watched me and they have seen this before.

I told them, In my day when you work in a shop or yard, it's usually flat rate so you can't afford to move slow. Hopefully they will get it and get some "git r did" going
I'm sure you will straighten him out Rani. Make him do it himself and he will learn, slowly at first, then once he starts getting the hang of the simple stuff the rest will be much easier. We all had to learn at some time or another. I sure hope he doesn't aggravate you to much though. lol

Jack

I goed to work to git er did, gen x is the last generation to git er did.
EDIT..
there's good in every generation, what they show on TV of gen z it doesn't look promising for the future though lol

Last edited:
I goed to work to git er did, gen x is the last generation to git er did
Well, I am a millennial (born in 1986) and I git r did because when I wanted a car in the past, I found that they ain't coming to you.
You have to be motivated and make it happen or it won't and you'll be sitting there dreaming about it and never go anywhere.

Plus my adoptive dad showed me the first time and after that he'd hand me the truck keys and say to return the truck topped off with gas.... oh yea, have fun too.

Well, I am a millennial (born in 1986) and I git r did because when I wanted a car in the past, I found that they ain't coming to you.
You have to be motivated and make it happen or it won't and you'll be sitting there dreaming about it and never go anywhere.

Plus my adoptive dad showed me the first time and after that he'd hand me the truck keys and say to return the truck topped off with gas.... oh yea, have fun too.
Early millennials good too, I forgot

That's all true, I suppose I even know a few youngsters that do that too.

Wow. I had no idea.

You sure shipped them motor mounts fast and were a pleasure to deal with.
Yeah? And here I am still waitin on a response from somebody I was supposed to be tradin a bellhousing to. Imagine that.

While I absolutely agree there are a lot of young slackers I sure see my fair share of "soft" older guys too. I think the only thing that keeps people strong/focused on the things that are truly important are the occasional hardships and man our country as a whole is jello pudding!.

-
Back