It's Not a Plymouth

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Early Valiants were Valiants, plain and simple.

1960 Valiant V-200: Please don't call it a Plymouth!

Valiant 1960.jpeg

My dads generation called all mopars "Chrysler-Plymouths" as far as I could tell.

Great article, thanks for posting!
In 1960 only, they were called Valiants only not Plymouths.
But all years they were known as toads?

Well I stand corrected. My brother had a 2dr and I always liked riding in it...especially the rear seat.

That is correct! They were so cool at first they had to be their own model.

Did you know that Ma Mopar did the same with the Neon when it first came out ?
Sold at both Dodge and Plymouth dealers and was simply a Neon.

I posted before seeing a '77/'78 Volare Superbee in Mexico. I asked. "Volare is a Plymouth. Superbee is a Dodge. I don't see either badging on that car. So is it a Plymouth or Dodge? The only answer I got was "Si"

Did you know that Ma Mopar did the same with the Neon when it first came out ?
Sold at both Dodge and Plymouth dealers and was simply a Neon.
Yes but they had a Dodge or Plymouth badge on the hood and steering wheel.
I had a Plymouth when they first came out.

Alan

I've had a couple Lincoln Zephyrs and Lincoln Continentals. When I bought a 56 Continental Mark II everyone reminded me that it wasn't a Lincoln Continental. Continental was its own marque for 1956.

My dads generation called all mopars "Chrysler-Plymouths" as far as I could tell.

This is an interesting statement, and I agree with it....

Around here anyway, there were mostly two flavors of dealers.... DODGE, and CPI (Chrysler-Plymouth).... The Chrysler-Plymouth dealers sold Imperials, and the Dodge dealers did not..... So...., who sold Valiants???

This is an interesting statement, and I agree with it....

Around here anyway, there were mostly two flavors of dealers.... DODGE, and CPI (Chrysler-Plymouth).... The Chrysler-Plymouth dealers sold Imperials, and the Dodge dealers did not..... So...., who sold Valiants???
Good question but from what I read about the Valiants, they sold themselves.

Plymouth dealers sold them as a stand alone brand like Imperial.

45babe3156a5ac648efcf524729082e9.jpg
05dc5a09228d72ed021402c69f465532.jpg

But when the Lancer A-Body Road Toad was introduced, was it a Dodge?

Mexico had Duster Super Bees as well.

Also, IIRC Valiant was it's own brand in Canada and Australia.

DeSoto was also often paired with Plymouth and sometimes Dodge. They were considered a premium brand just below Chrysler.

I saw someone had dressed their newish Challenger up as a 3rd gen Cuda on the road some years ago and I looked to see if they were a factory thing. No, just a pret' good looking aftermarket makeover but I've been watching ever since and this comes up somewhere perennially. it has never come to fruition but i continue watching with dread and hope.
in the back of my mind I remember a gas crisis killed my beloved Barracuda once maybe it will die before it germinates as a Dodge....

Whatever happened to the dodge ram ?
Before it was Dodge Ram, it was just Dodge Trucks. It was treated in some ways as a separate brand, but I don't know if a dealer could have only a Dodge Trucks franchise to go with, say, his Plymouth-DeSoto store?

Here's an interesting picture. Chrysler and Valiant are paired with Dodge and Dodge Trucks, at least a few years after Valiant was discontinued as a separate brand. The dealer name is clearly French, so possibly in Quebec, which would jive with YY1's observation in post #17.

Dodge Valiant Chrysler Dodge Trucks.jpg

-
Back