I've had enough of this wheel/tire nonsense!

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
I've been trying for a while to make a final decision on the wheel/tire combination for my son's '74 Dart Sport. Thought we might go with American Racing Torq Thrust II 15x8 rear and 15x6 front (large bolt pattern). Their website application guide only recommends 15x7 as widest wheel for his car. Then I run across a local dealer with some decent pricing and I can get Cragars cheaper (actually, my first choice). OK, so let's look at Cragar. Now, I'm told Cragar doesn't make 15x6, so 15x7 sounds a little wide for the front.

While the guy is confirming this size issue, I start looking at tire options. Want something to have the ol' muscle car appearance (no roller skates, thank you very much). How about Goodrich T/A Radials... 245-60-15 in rear and maybe 205-70-15 in front to be close to the same tire height. Nope, tallest would be 205--60-15 (1.88" shorter). Well, how about a shorter one in rear, like 245-50-15? Nope, don't make it.

I'm about to pull my hair out. Why does this have to be so complicated? Someone have a solution for us? We don't have to stick with Goodrich, maybe another brand, I just liked the white letters. We could go black walls out.

Help,
Jerry

The only 15 x 7 and 15 x 8 that I've been told that Cragar stopped making are in the 5 x 4" bolt pattern (Small bolt pattern). I think they're still making the SS in the vari slot to fit the 4 1/2, 4 3/4 and 5 inch bolt circle. Maybe I can help. I've got a 71 Demon with a stock rearend and leaf spring positions and I'm using Cragar SS 14 x 6 with the 5 x 4" bolt circle and 3 1/2 backspace up front with 225/70/14 BF Goodrich TA. On the rear I'm using the SS 15 x 7" , 5 x 4" BS, 4 1/8 backspace on 255/60/15 BF TA's and there's no rubs and lots of room all around

P7280003 (Custom).JPG

I've got Draglites on my '75 dart. 15x7 front, 15x8 rear with no problems. 215/60R15, 235/60R15 out back. When I need rubber, I'm going to a 235 up front, and a 255 out back (the 235s are a bit narrow for 8" rear wheels.

Thanks guys, I'll show your pics to my son and see if we can come to some conclusion.

Jerry

Let me get outside and I'll post some rear view pics so you can see how the 8" wheels sit under the back.

Here's Mikesduster looking tough sporting some 15x8's on the back.
http://www.scottysplace.net/Gallery/MikeWilcoxs72Duster.asp
You'll probably want something a little wider for the front if it's just for street driving. He could probably tell ya how the rears fit, also the backspacing etc, he's also a member here.
I'd stick with 60's in the front and either 50's or 60's in the rear, just get the offset right. I think the Dusters look good with a little smaller tire in the front it gives it a nice muscle car rake.
Good luck and take your time so you get the look you want.

Here is what I have decided on (I think):

FRONT
Cragar SS 15"x6" with 215/65R15 (3-3/8" backspace and 26" height)
BACK
Cragar SS 15"x7" with 245/65R15 (4-1/8" backspace and 26.57" height)

Last call for anyone to tell me any of this will be a problem. I have to do something very soon, otherwise, my son may disown me.

Jerry

[QUOTE='74 Sport]Here is what I have decided on (I think):

FRONT
Cragar SS 15"x6" with 215/65R15 (3-3/8" backspace and 26" height)
BACK
Cragar SS 15"x7" with 245/65R15 (4-1/8" backspace and 26.57" height)

Last call for anyone to tell me any of this will be a problem. I have to do something very soon, otherwise, my son may disown me.

Jerry[/QUOTE]

I put on the 15 x 8 on the rear with 275/60

If I recall I couldn't find the 15's for the front (small bolt pattern) so I put on 14x6 up front.

Hey Giggy,
What are the tire sizes you are running? Is everything stock on your Duster?
What rear end (7.25" on mine)? Do you know your wheel offsets?

I do like your look, but I think I would prefer to have same diameter wheels.
Jerry

Well, gentlemen, after many weeks of consternation over this issue, it all becomes academic tomorrow. We wound up getting Torq Thrust II's -- 15"x6" with 2mm offset (website says 3-3/8" backspace) and 15"x8" with 18mm offset (website says 3-3/4" backspace). Tomorrow, the tires will be in that I ordered at Discount Tire. We settled on BF Goodrich T/A Radials -- 205/60-R15 up front (24.69" dia.) and 235/60-R15 in back (26.10" dia.) for a total difference in height of 1.41" (not too bad for rake).

With the 8" rims in back, we still had almost 2.5" clearance off the springs. The 235 fills out the wheel well nicely, and the sidewall lines up just inside the wheel lip. We went with the 205 up front, because we tried 215/65-R15 (26.00" dia.) and had barely 3/8" clearance from wheel lip, with steering turned to left. It also hits the stiffening brace spanning from fender to frame rail. The difference in diameters will yield approximately 5/8" more clearance (26.00"-24.69" / 2 = 0.66").

I'll post some pics as soon as I get the tires mounted. Friday, Aaron goes to San Antonio to compete with his FFA project at the fair and livestock show. I'll have a nice surprise waiting for him when he gets home Saturday.

Thanks for everyone's input. I was fairly sure what we wanted, but in the long run, it simply boiled down to test fitting to see if the combination would work.

Jerry

intrested in the look. I did think that with an 8" rear tire a 245 would be a better fit though.

But a 215/60 should have looked sweet, and without any clearance issues.

I have 255/60 15 rear and 215/65 15 front on a '74 Duster, 8" wheels all around, fit well, no clearance issues anywhere, stock spring location.

Well, gentlemen, after many weeks of consternation over this issue, it all becomes academic tomorrow. We wound up getting Torq Thrust II's -- 15"x6" with 2mm offset (website says 3-3/8" backspace) and 15"x8" with 18mm offset (website says 3-3/4" backspace). Tomorrow, the tires will be in that I ordered at Discount Tire. We settled on BF Goodrich T/A Radials -- 205/60-R15 up front (24.69" dia.) and 235/60-R15 in back (26.10" dia.) for a total difference in height of 1.41" (not too bad for rake).

With the 8" rims in back, we still had almost 2.5" clearance off the springs. The 235 fills out the wheel well nicely, and the sidewall lines up just inside the wheel lip. We went with the 205 up front, because we tried 215/65-R15 (26.00" dia.) and had barely 3/8" clearance from wheel lip, with steering turned to left. It also hits the stiffening brace spanning from fender to frame rail. The difference in diameters will yield approximately 5/8" more clearance (26.00"-24.69" / 2 = 0.66").

I'll post some pics as soon as I get the tires mounted. Friday, Aaron goes to San Antonio to compete with his FFA project at the fair and livestock show. I'll have a nice surprise waiting for him when he gets home Saturday.

Thanks for everyone's input. I was fairly sure what we wanted, but in the long run, it simply boiled down to test fitting to see if the combination would work.

Jerry
Hello Jerry,
I have similar to the same dilemma. Will you please message the info to me with plenty of pics. I am looking for the old school look of wide in the back and narrow in the front.
Thanks

-
Back