I've Heard of Painting between the lines but, can this be done?

-

Inspector71

Reaction score
I am almost done sanding the entire bottom of my 68 Barracuda from fron to rear (including entire engine bay, inner front fender area, the fenders are off, frame rails, floor pans, you name it) and encountered mostly surface rust. Here is what I have not been able to get at, the inside of the rear valance panel because of the frame, the brace, and the trunk where the spare tire part is welded to the valance. And I can see some rust inside the rear frame rails but the outsides are clean. Will this work:

With a brush/sponge, push and or paint POR15 up into the valance panel (the outside is not rusted)
Put POR15 into an empty and cleaned 409 bottle and spray it into the frame rails through the various holes (the rear sections have rust, not the front) as best I can?

I have done this in my garage because the rust was not that bad, no sheet metal needs replaced, quarters are great, and I had more time than money.

thanks for you advice even if you tell me this is a dumb idea

I sprayed a converter up inside as many voids as I could in the frame rails... I caught the run off the best I could and re applied it several times.... with out dipping the frame its the best I could do... I sprayed degreaser and rinced with water several times I used a garden sprayer that held a gallon and then with brake cleaner to get any residues then the treatment... I use the Eastwood products primers and then I use an epoxy enamel over everything when its done... then and undercoating.... but there is always some voids

On the deck lid of our '68 Charger we turned it upside-down and after cleaning everything the best we could, we poured POR-15 onto the areas that were sandwiching inner and outer structure. Then we took an air wand and used compressed air to force the POR-15 into all of the crevices.

The biggest concern was wondering whether or not we'd get proper adhesion on areas that we were unable to prep so we did our best to force the POR-15 prep cleaners and etchers through it first. Each chemical was forced with air into all of the nooks and crannies. Then after giving them adequate time to do their work we dried it (between each) with prolonged use of more compressed air.

Only time will tell if it keeps rust away. The car sat for a couple of years after we did this and so far everything we coated seems good. The car was unpainted and the only new rust (surface) was on areas we had not used the POR-15.

My advice to you is to try the best you can to reach as much of the areas you can with the prep chemicals before encapsulating it. We did notice adhesion problems elsewhere on panels that we had not properly prepped.

POR-15 does not stop rust ,it just seals it. I would look into flooding the areas with phosforic(sp) acid, which changes rust to zinc. And then use some type of thin rustproofing sprayed in.

like it was mentioned, por15 just seals and it dont stick if there is a lot of rust

you gotta get to it somehow

p.s. dont take a bath in that stuff it sticks to / soaks into your skin for 3-5 days and will not come off. says right on the can once dry there is no known solvent

my daughter didnt believe me she is a chemist and guess what, she tried everything she could think of and it didnt come off lol

if it's still wet rubbing alcohol removes it

but you have to find a way to clean that spot. then squirt it. if you can see it make some kind of whirly scraper with a drill and coathangers or something and get the surface rust off the best you can

I sprayed this stuff in ever nook and cranny I couldn't get into. Seemed to coat well.

I have a 68 Charger as well and it is from Missouri, rust bucket. I was wondering how to attack the rust between the metal layers in the hood and got a great answer here. I definitely need to check out the eastwood internal frame coating. Folks, I appreciate this so much. It has been driving me nuts trying to figure this out. The car has almost no rust anywhere except those frame rails and a under the speaker shelf. Go figure. Front frames are great.
Sand blasting would be great. The car is on floor jacks. There is nothing under the car. Entire front and rear suspensions including rear end are out. Money is tight and I have no choice but to do it this way. Maybe when I get to the Charger

-
Back