IVR- What does it look like?

-

Claydart

MOPAR to the very bones
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 64 Dart GT and my fuel gauge and temp gauge were bouncing up and down the other day, then just went to zero and stopped working at all. What should I be looking for? I have been reading a few posts and there is a lot of talk of bad IVR. What does it even look like, so I can check it out? Thanks in advance, this is very frustrating to me, not being very good at all with automotive electronics. Please help.

IVR in some of the early cars is inside the fuel gauge. Tipoff is fuel gauge has 3 terminals. One is 12V feeding the IVR, fuel gauge is internally connected to the IVR output, and the IVR output feeds to a stud to jumper to the other gauge(s). 3rd terminal of course is sender. There are many internet posts on various ways to replace. "Basic" is to safely lock off the internal one such as RTV to hold the contacts open, etc. Then feed an external IVR to the proper gauge terminal which goes to the other gauge(s)

Two of many. Do a Google

RTE Gauge Faq - rte

Gauge Cluster Issues/IVR

FYI the original limiters worked sort of like a turn flasher only more delicate. They constantly cycle on/ off to form pulses of power that roughly cut the 12V in half.

Your car may have it's IVR in a fuel gauge.
Lots of good info here. Scroll down to "Don't see your car listed."

RTE limiter - rte

The 64 Dart's IVR are in the fuel gauge. You will need to pull the cluster and the gauge to access it.

That's a great article. The only problem is I am a visual kind of guy and need the pictures that they talk about to see what I need to do. Thanks

-
Back