James’ 1974 W200 build

Members Restorations

1. mopardude318

mopardude318 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:27 PM
    got the cam broke in today. frickin thing just started right the hell up.

i didnt hook up the PCV, i think pressure built up and blew the rear main seal, and also the front right corner of the intake manifold, it was leaking down the block from there. shit. i remember reading about that happening.....is that for real though? does that happen?
    i hooked it up and the leak was much less, now it only seeps. i think the damage is done, gotta change that out.

heres a short clip at a little high idle, little pop here and there, ill fix that. i think the cam is too mild. i dont like it. lol

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • j par

j par Well-hung Member

Local Time:
      I use "the right stuff" black on everything... Triple extra on n intake manifold corner's...

• mopardude318

Local Time:
      shit man, that's what I used! I don't know if I used triple extra on the corners though....do you think excessive crankcase pressure was the culprit? seemed to not leak as much when I hooked that PCV up.

• Like Like x 1
      • j par

j par Well-hung Member

Local Time:
        Were the valve covers plugged? I know mine seem to have less blow by problems after it broke in... But that took a considerable amount of time...

• mopardude318

Local Time:
        I had a twist in breather on the other side....i dont know, maybe just bad luck.

heres a video of the leak.............LOL............

• j par

j par Well-hung Member

Local Time:
        The rear main would be my bigger concern.. more of a pain to get to..

• j par

j par Well-hung Member

Local Time:
        Do you remember what size those studs were? Mine are fine I just need to get lug nuts for them. There are larger than my half by twenties that are currently on the truck. I'll have to order half by twenties for the back and they look like 9/16 but I don't know the thread pitch?...

• mopardude318

Local Time:
        they are 9/16-18.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
        • mopardude318

Local Time:
          B34EA595-4DBF-401E-9D19-BF43C98B7B71.jpeg 61D87C74-549E-45F0-8384-C05F2C33231E.jpeg 28E7AD5D-0F32-4767-ABCD-6BDC078783E3.jpeg Got the intermediate shaft made. Expensive little bastard, it cost the same as the rear. LOL. Shop said the smaller parts are more scarce. I could actually drive it if I wanted. Leaks and all. Lol. Gotta make a rear brake line, and add fluid, bleed ‘em. Tighten up all the suspension. Gotta do a backyard alignment somehow. Still quite a few small things before the maiden voyage. Maybe in a week or so.

• Like Like x 3
          • j par

j par Well-hung Member

Local Time:
            Did you do the twin stick mod when you did the transfer case?..

• RustyRatRod

RustyRatRod I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday. FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
            2:27 AM
            Dammit. That's almost like the rear main's installed backerds it's leakin so bad. Yall will ultimately be happy with too "small" a cam in a truck, I do believe. It sounds good.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
            • mopardude318

Local Time:
              Thank you Rusty. I have a new rear main seal I will install, and I’ll do the intake manifold gasket too, it leaks a tiny bit. The rear main is not that bad anymore, I need to clean the mess up and see what it’s doing. It kinda stopped after I hooked up the PCV.

I’ll leave the cam for now. Ultimately I REALLY want solid flat tappet cam. I have a real nice set of 273 rocker arms I had RAU do the works treatment to. So if I can later use a similar cam, only solid.

• Like Like x 1
              • mopardude318

Local Time:
                Well since I moved the steering box, and used a more modern pump, I had to make custom lines. So I had to adapt from the metric O-ring to 37 deg AN flare.

EF95E4E8-F372-461A-8CC3-C3927E9DFD47.jpeg 218D593A-9050-4B91-826C-F0ACB364E4FF.jpeg EF369606-3A35-4B63-96AD-CE4A15A14609.jpeg 6EDF3EEC-1453-4229-900C-CF70C4208438.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
                • mopardude318

Local Time:
                  No, I was looking at doing it, but at the moment I don’t really have a need for it.

• Like Like x 1
                  • j par

j par Well-hung Member

Local Time:
                    I can't think of a need for it except for I need to have gadgets LOL.

• Like Like x 1
                    • mopardude318

Local Time:
                      Yea my brother has a doubler on his 1 ton square body, so he’s actually got a triple stick. I’m not even about to mess with that.

• Like Like x 1
                      • j par

j par Well-hung Member

Local Time:
                        It's actually pretty easy but even easier if you take care of it when you're rebuilding it. It's mostly in the rod for the front wheel drive. It needs to be ground down or modified or just buy one done which I plan to do it's about 100 bucks. And I'm going to use a pleasure locally called JB fabrication and they have a cable driven twin stick which to me eliminates the possibility of the frame twisting on the body and kicking it out of gear. It's about 250 for the sticks with the cable and I'm just a little over a hundred bucks for the modified front wheel drive rod that goes through the transfer case...

• Like Like x 1
                        • mopardude318

Local Time:
                          well today I pulled it out of its spot for the first time in months. I went down the mile long driveway and came back...there's quite a few things I have to address...

-the throttle is like a light switch, its on or off...You can't even ease into it...??? I definitely, absolutely need to get that fixed. I don't know what it could be. I have the dang thing hooked up just like any other mopar...

-those mud grapplers are all over the damn place, truck wanders pretty bad, I've read they're like a tractor tire, they do that...? granted I don't have shocks yet, that could contribute. I also did a back yard alignment the best I could, so that needs improvement. They are 35's....I think they're too big, there's a bit of a rub at full lock. I'm probably going to go down to 33's...

-the clutch...I installed a new clutch and pressure plate. It's a Mcleod Diaphragm. I took out a borg and beck...it feels like there is no pedal, like a hydraulic pedal on a honda civic. it seems to work, but there's really no feel to it at all... it's so light and there is no effort, I don't really like that. Is the difference between a borg&beck and diaphragm that severe??

-the brakes feel spongy...ya know how there's rust build up on the rotors and ya gotta wear that off? maybe that's what I gotta do. I probably have to bleed everything again now that the truck is moving and going through the motions...Those little plastic caps on my master cylinder leak like a sonofagon, maybe I have the reservoir filled too much...

-the Detroit Locker out back...I think I hate it. Although I've never had one before, It pops, it bangs, it makes a whole bunch of noise, and the truck kinda jerks...I guess that's what they do, but holy shit...LOL. it makes it difficult to diagnose and listen to other things when ya have that going on too.

-open headers is fun for a second, I really need some exhaust so I can hear what the truck is doing...But damn, it sounds good! lol

-I have to fix my manifold and rear main seal leak pronto. But I want to get all this other stuff sorted out first.

after my short drive today, I think you're absolutely right.

here's a short clip. i tell ya, I probably looked confused as hell, I kinda was...LOL. I guess it was successful, lotta stuff I gotta sort out. I really had hoped I'd be done and I'd drive off into the sunset happy...not the case really. I dont know if I'm satisfied, or not satisfied...

needs improvement - YouTube

• Like Like x 1
                          • j par

j par Well-hung Member

Local Time:
                            For everything wrong, it sure looks good...:thumbsup:...

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
                            1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                              By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.