JB To the Rescue Again

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I don't know exactly what motivated me to take care of this long-awaited task but today I finally jumped in and did it.

I tend to toss things around a little too much, and broke the plastic handles in doing so on my shop vacuum and little garden stool (with tool compartment).

Gingerly I reattached the broken pieces yesterday with a drop of superglue, which I knew would never hold up on its own. Just did that to reposition the broken pieces.

Today, I gingerly ground down the plastic with a Dremel tool coarse sandpaper mini-drum, washed the prepared areas down with alcohol, and dried everything up with a hair dryer.

Applied the JB weld and then added washers on top for re-enforcement. Tomorrow, one more coat of JB over the washers (after scuffing today's coat of JB weld a little) and we should be good to go. Not pretty but who cares.

DSC07523.JPG

DSC07524.JPG

I did not need to follow up with any trimming of the vacuum handle repair, however ...

When I went to trim the excess washer sticking out from the handle of my garden tool with a Dremel cutting disc, the washer flew off before I was done. Not surprising, considering the washer was just held on by small threads of the JB weld. The washer was just part of the bolt and nut I used to press the original repair and hold it in place anyway.

Not to worry, I found an even better way to re-enforce that side of the handle that had broken. I placed a six-sided nut inside the handle at the fracture point and surrounded it with JB weld. That should work and I don't have to trim anything and compromise the installation. I did have to cut open the little tubes of JB and squeeze out the remaining product with a pair of pliers (almost all used up).

DSC07534.JPG

-
Back