Jeep compass

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
Me and the wife are looking at getting a new family vehicle we have a mercury mountaineer now and it has started giving us problems so its time to move on before its a money pit. I want to keep it mopar. We want a suv 4x4 but not huge we like the journeys but iv read alot of bad reviews about them. So we started looking at the jeeps im almost sold on the compass its compact but has roomy interior 4cyl with available manual transmission (I love manual transmissions) its affordable brand new less than 25k and for 4x4 really good gas mileage 30mpg highway. Anyone have one ? Anyone have problems with them? Thanks for your feedback

I bought a 2017 and at first had buyer's remorse. I'd get on the Web and read one of those "worst ten cars to buy," and it was on the list. It is under powered, not considered very reliable, and the resale value won't be very good. Mileage around town is about 18 MPG, about 28 on the road. At first the electronics were terrible. It would reboot itself just about every time out. I don't like that feature that turns the engine off at signals. If you don't want it, you have to disable it at the start of each session. I also don't like that the 4 wheel drive is ON at all times.

That said, after more than a year, I like it better. A software upgrade fixed the electronics. Mine includes a GPS and it is really nice when it works. It hasn't broken down and left me by the side of the road. But if I had to do it over, I would buy something else.

I couldn't believe my wife wanted another one after what I called her 1st dreadful one a "hot dog cart".

The power while not being good, is only sadder if you think about how it has more power than the original line.

I HATE the auto stop feature, I'm sure a whole thread could be written about that.

I haven't had any electric problems, but the new 8 speed trans drones like crazy at 35 or 40 MPH.

Now, we got a cold weather package that I have to admit being in the north is nice.
Remote start, heated wiper parking area, heated seats and steering wheel.

The back seats do fold down quickly and easily for the extra storage.

I miss my 300 lol.

Isn't the compass new for '19?

My '15 Renegade (bought used in '17" has only had very minor issues (couple cloudy spots in glass and sprung sun visor)....but it's a Fiat. I've put 15K miles on it to 45K

1.4 turbo has plenty of power if you need it.

FWD only six speed manual.

I'm getting 33 MPG average.

I too went Jeep shopping, looked at Wranglers, Compass' etc.

I landed on a 14 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk edition. V6, Leather interior, Moon roof, Heated seats and steering wheel, Cruise, Tilt, Air, Navigation, Hands free bluetooth, Voice command, Tow package, Remote start etc. 20-22 mpg.

I decided on this because of it's trail capabilities (it will rival the Wrangler on the trails) rear seats fold down easily so we can fit the dogs in the back.

This summer it will more than likely get a roof carrier, trail lights, rock sliders and a 2 inch lift. It has enormous amounts of git up and go!

I looked at the Compass but it seemed a bit small to me, I'm 6' 2" 245 lbs, so I didn't fit too well, lol. This one has plenty of interior room.

Jeep yard.jpg

Jeep woods.jpg

Headroom is what immediately sold me on the Renegade!

As soon as I got in one the fist time, I looked up and said "whoooaaa, I'm buying one of these"!

I'm 6' 3" 190# with a looong spine.

I don't even have the seat all the way down!

More power than the PT Cruiser it replaced and 10 more MPG sure didn't hurt either.

Wife has 2013 Jeep Compass 2WD auto. (Before the start, stop.go, maintenance nightmare started).
Perfect for her. Sure, 4cylinder powered...lol. Havnt spent a knickel on any problems. Brakes, tires, routine maintenance.
Going on 6 years. Better than I thought it would be in snow conditions.

D.

We looked at the Renegade and Cherokee. Ending up sitting in a Durango and loved it. It's definately bigger. But we love it, it's my wife's but I drive it when I can. It's a Durango GT with the 6 cylinder and 8 speed.

I was unaware about the auto stop feature I don't like that at all. Is that on all models or just certain packages? I am also looking at the renagade and a few others. Does anyone here have a new journey? Do you love it hate?
I have never ever bought a new car iv only ever had used ones. In most cases well used lol im alot nervous about it I dont want to end up buying something I hate and get stuck with a payment. The test drives on a new car are a joke anymore last one i drove the guy let me go like miles and made me turn around. I get they dont want to put a ton of miles on a new car during test drives but geez im gonna be paying for this thing for 6 years I want make sure I like it lol

I get they dont want to put a ton of miles on a new car during test drives but geez im gonna be paying for this thing for 6 years I want make sure I like it lol

I usually buy pre-owned, find a dealer that will let you take one for the weekend. The last 2 trucks I bought they threw a dealer plate on it and I took them for the weekend, enough time to look it over and drive it for more than 5 miles.

My last truck was a black 15 Sport 1500 4x4. The dealer let me take it for the weekend even though he knew we would be putting on 600 or more kilometres. We have now bought a 19 Jeep trailhawk from him. He is an hour away, but says any problem with it that they will come get it and fix it. Kim. I should mention this: all Jeep cherokee’s Are a little different in size. Most ppl don’t know this. Meaning that there is more head room, leg room and cargo area depending on which model u get. I asked at the dealer and the salesman confirmed this.

Last edited:
I too went Jeep shopping, looked at Wranglers, Compass' etc.

I landed on a 14 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk edition. V6, Leather interior, Moon roof, Heated seats and steering wheel, Cruise, Tilt, Air, Navigation, Hands free bluetooth, Voice command, Tow package, Remote start etc. 20-22 mpg.

I decided on this because of it's trail capabilities (it will rival the Wrangler on the trails) rear seats fold down easily so we can fit the dogs in the back.

This summer it will more than likely get a roof carrier, trail lights, rock sliders and a 2 inch lift. It has enormous amounts of git up and go!

I looked at the Compass but it seemed a bit small to me, I'm 6' 2" 245 lbs, so I didn't fit too well, lol. This one has plenty of interior room.

View attachment 1715290124

View attachment 1715290123

"Rivals the Wrangler in off-road capabilities" ? Hmmm........might have to respectfully disagree there. Of course if you have enough money...............

Hmmm........might have to respectfully disagree there.

Haven't personally tried it yet, but from what I have seen from TH group that I'm in, they video their off road escapades and the TH stays right with the Wranglers.

Of course I don't expect it to in real rough terrain because the suspension doesn't articulate quite like a Wrangler.

Most of the guys I follow have the rock sliders, a 2 inch lift, and a winch, and for what it is it's really pretty impressive if you ask me, lol.

Wow this is surprising to me im doing some research on interior space on the jeeps and (if the internet sources are accurate) the compass has more storage room than the Cherokee and the renegade. That is surprising the compass has 27 sq ft the Cherokee has 25 sqft and the renegade has 18.5.

The Renegade is taller.

That alone seals it for me.

The one thing that's a negative, is that the seats don't fold flat like my old PT.

The other positives far outweigh that.

BTW 160 Net HP is the same power to weight ratio as a 360 2 barrel (or mild build 318) Duster.

It's "multiair", so when you floor it or really open it up, you get VVT and longer intake runners.

The sound changes from pedestrian to literally what a Ferrari sounds like!

My brothers wife has a Patriot and the TPIM failed at about 70 thou. miles. It appears to be a problem on the jeeps. Almost a thousand dollars to keep the battery from going dead.

Haven't personally tried it yet, but from what I have seen from TH group that I'm in, they video their off road escapades and the TH stays right with the Wranglers.

Of course I don't expect it to in real rough terrain because the suspension doesn't articulate quite like a Wrangler.

Most of the guys I follow have the rock sliders, a 2 inch lift, and a winch, and for what it is it's really pretty impressive if you ask me, lol.

Does it have a badge on it that says "trail rated"? The Wranglers do. That means they can run The Rubicon Trail as they sit. Pretty impressive.

The compass we are looking at is the trialhawk addition. Im not sure if that means anything for offroad use but it has all of the high end features. Im also looking at one of the latitudes.

Does it have a badge on it that says "trail rated"? The Wranglers do. That means they can run The Rubicon Trail as they sit. Pretty impressive.
Mine sure does. Although it’s just a car to me. It has 5 metal skid plates under neath. Motor, tranny,transfer case, gas tank and differentials. Kim

The compass we are looking at is the trialhawk addition. Im not sure if that means anything for offroad use but it has all of the high end features.

If it's trail rated then yes it is designed for off road. If it's anything like the Cherokee I'm sure you'll like it.

-
Back