Jeff's 727 rebuild thread

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok....it has officially begun!

I'm working a lot of hours so this will take a while...but I'm going to keep it all in this one thread for others future reference.

Cleared off my work bench.....

20171230_112247.jpg

My wife heard I was going to do this and SHE picked a rebuild kit for me!
$195 Summit. ..

20180101_104312.jpg

20180101_104326.jpg

Got the car in the air....as far as I could....

20180101_103906.jpg

Gonna have to cut away my "H" pipe....tailshaft won't clear to come out.....

Jeff

So my basic plan is to pull it, rebuild it (absolutely going to need more bushings - I want to replace them ALL...and the kit only came with 2...)

TransGo TF-2 shift kit
Deep pan with a drain
Transmission cooler
And lastly, clean and paint it to make it look good!

Jeff

The reasons for this are many....

The transmission feels "mushy"....
Unknown number of miles on it...
Been smelling odd after romping around on it....
And mostly, I want to take advantage of all the meger power I have.
Gnarly second gear scratches would be fun too!

Jeff

Subscribed. I can't wait to see if it's easy or not, might have one to do myself coming up.
I'll post tons of pictures as I go......lots.
It doesn't appear to be all that difficult. ...I've been reading a lot about it and watching tons of videos. ....
I think the key is staying organized and clean, taking pictures, writing notes and asking questions!

Jeff

Great, can't wait. There was a guy from Sydney Australia who has a transmission workshop and did a good step by step video on youtube, made it look a synch and was capable of lots of power. I would love to put a trans brake in one but looks like a not so straight forward process.

I'll post tons of pictures as I go......lots.
It doesn't appear to be all that difficult. ...I've been reading a lot about it and watching tons of videos. ....
I think the key is staying organized and clean, taking pictures, writing notes and asking questions!

Jeff

Since you want to replace all the bushings I would suggest a bushing driver set.
I would also suggest you only remove 1 at a time and replace it right then, due to depth requirements on some of them. (Like the front drum and planetary sun gears)

Have fun with the one in the end of the output shaft.:D
Always remember it's easier to collapse a bushing if it has a seam and you start there.
A medium size chisel with a big V ground in the end works good for removing old bushings.

This is an actual bushing cutter from Bluepoint, but you see how one could be made easily.

GA1.jpg

I have that book linked above and also this one. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KDJOMA/?tag=joeychgo-20
Both are excellent. 727 and 904 are some of the easiest transmissions to rebuild. Only a couple of special tools are needed and you can do some home engineering to make your own quite easily.
Take your time with the lip seals, that will probably be the hardest part of the rebuild. Sometimes they can be a pain to get the pistons in their bores. Be careful not to damage your lip seals!
Im surprised that kit had those two bushings, most dont include any.

I did a 727 last night. Would have been done with it but found a spun bushing on the input shaft. Now I have to find a shaft and possibly the piece on the pump the bushing goes in.....sucks.

Since you want to replace all the bushings I would suggest a bushing driver set.
I would also suggest you only remove 1 at a time and replace it right then, due to depth requirements on some of them. (Like the front drum and planetary sun gears)

Have fun with the one in the end of the output shaft.:D
Always remember it's easier to collapse a bushing if it has a seam and you start there.
A medium size chisel with a big V ground in the end works good for removing old bushings.

This is an actual bushing cutter from Bluepoint, but you see how one could be made easily.

View attachment 1715126345
Wise words indeed T.B. A bushing driver properly used is the only way to get a bushing set correctly.

I have a step by step training video on how to disassemble and rebuild a 727.....just PM me your email address.

I have the bushing drivers covered....I have a full machine shop at my disposal so I'll be spending a little time on the lathe.....:thumbsup:

I like that bushing splitter tool :thumbsup:

I'm really looking forward to this....a scary new challenge with an awesome reward at the end!!!
The transmission should be out and on my bench this week...no later than Saturday.

Jeff

Way to go Jeff!! There are sheds full of experience on building 727s here in FABO. A quality set of snap ring pliers is a must. Avoid anything from the ROC unless you want blood everywhere. Good & competent advice is right here for the asking, just keep the work area well lit & surgery clean especially when you tear into the valve body & the govenor. Looking forward to monitoring your progress & once you're done, nobody can take that experience from you.

I have a question about the 1-2 up-shift...
Under WOT or even light throttle it seems to shift from 1st to 2nd VERY soon.....15 MPH tops....even under WOT.....It doesn't seem to spend very much time in 1st gear.....and of course, that doesn't let me get the RPMs up where I'm making power...
Is this normal?
I don't want it winding up real high in 1st under normal driving conditions, but when I punch it, I'd like to stay in first a little longer.
Is this a throttle pressure adjustment issue or ?????

Jeff

Mainly two different things affect this. One is throttle valve or kickdown linkage adjustment. The other is the governor assembly on the output shaft. The governor weights and springs can be changed to alter the shift points. The kickdown is simply adjusted during installation.

Check your throttle pressure linkage adjustment first Jeff. At WOT the lever on the transmission needs to be almost at the rearmost position. Bob is right about the govenor also affecting shift points. Basically the more you depress the gas pedal, the later the transmission will upshift. You will definately notice a difference in the entire shift characteristics when you have installed your TF-2.
Cheers. Gaz

You will definitely notice a difference in the entire shift characteristics when you have installed your TF-2.

Thanks for the replies guys!
I ordered the TF-2 last night...

Tonight after work (12 hour days...ugh!) I'm going to crawl under the car and see what I can do about the exhaust issue....."H" pipe is in the way of the tail-shaft. Worst case is I have to cut it away....but that means more money down at the exhaust shop...I'm hoping I can unbolt it at the headers, unbolt all the hangers and pull the whole thing out like that.

Can't wait to get the transmission out and on my bench!

Jeff

I have a question about the 1-2 up-shift...
Under WOT or even light throttle it seems to shift from 1st to 2nd VERY soon.....15 MPH tops....even under WOT.....It doesn't seem to spend very much time in 1st gear.....and of course, that doesn't let me get the RPMs up where I'm making power...
Is this normal?
I don't want it winding up real high in 1st under normal driving conditions, but when I punch it, I'd like to stay in first a little longer.
Is this a throttle pressure adjustment issue or ?????

Jeff

Does it have the 4 barrel kickdown? When I put my Cuda together it did the same thing with 2bbl kickdown. Put the right parts on it and it straightened out. Also will need the correct govenor.

Last edited:
One thing you might want to consider, if the trans is a 70 or earlier, is swap the valve body for a 71-up valve body w/part throttle kickdown. Did this on my 67 a727 trans along with the Transgo kit. Sooo much nicer to have it kickdown at lower speeds without having to mat the pedal.

One thing you might want to consider, if the trans is a 70 or earlier, is swap the valve body for a 71-up valve body w/part throttle kickdown. Did this on my 67 a727 trans along with the Transgo kit. Sooo much nicer to have it kickdown at lower speeds without having to mat the pedal.

There is a part throttle kickdown add on kit for older valve bodies.
It comes with these parts and the longer screws to attach it.

Module.jpg

-
Back