Jerry Lande's speaker bracket thingie....

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am going to get one of those speaker brackets from Jerry Lande to go in my Valiant. The original radio will work with another speaker(s). However, I want Jerry's kit for the near future when I decide on a different stereo system.

As some of you know, I have severe hearing loss in the higher pitches. From human voice range on up, I have real trouble. My idea is to find some 3.5" speakers that perform well in the higher frequency ranges, install them in the stock dash location so I will basically be right on top of them and have the low frequency speakers (probably old school 6 X 9s in the rear deck.

What speakers have you used that work well and what are some you might suggest to me? All this system will consist of is a head unit, an amplifier of reasonable size to overcome road noise and four speakers. Nothing outrageous.

To give an example, I have a decent head unit in my Ford truck, 2 6.5" door speakers and a powered 8" Blaupunkt 200w subwoofer behind the seat. THAT'S IT and it sounds very good for what it is. Although, the front speakers are overpowered by the sub, I have a small Kicker amp I plan to install in the near future.

Thanks for any and all advice.

I did the same thing for the same reasons. I powered my kick panel and package tray speakers off of an amplifier and then wired the two front speakers to the output of my headunit. Don't forget to run some sort of passive "bass blocker" resistor in line with the smaller speakers. The bass distortion will fry your tweaters in the dash out if not careful.

upload_2019-1-28_5-50-12.png

This is obviously a crappy stock photo. I put a pair of MB Quart tweeters in there just because I could. It really gives my Dart a good sound stage and I hear a lot of vocals and narative from the center channel speakers.

74700_4.jpg

I used his and just installed my 3 1/2" speakers into my dart, I can't download my other picture yet but you can kinda see them in this one.

20190127_153422.jpg

Last edited:
These are the speakers I am looking at. I like them because the tweeter doesn't protrude very far.

Hertz DCX 87.3

It's a new bracket to mount two small speakers where the single dash one is. These are mine kicker, oops mine are 3 1/2"

20181129_131012.jpg

agree with bass blocker

sending low freq to 3" drivers is a really bad idea

however, if you look hard enough, you may find 3" rated for 60 or 45Hz

I'm in the same boat for hearing loss, and with only on ear that works there's no point to have a stereo - EVERY thing in is in mono :rolleyes:. However, I upgraded mine in a similar manner as those above. I used a pair of fairly bright sounding 4" Kenwoods, KFC 1065R's. They have good vocal, midrange, and high sound which is what I wanted. I made a mounting board out of 1/2" plywood and put them in the dash. I put a pair of Kenwood 6x9's in the package shelf, powered by the radio's stock amp (for now). It sounds pretty decent for a quick, low-dollar install.

DSCN1696.JPG
DSCN1697.JPG
DSCN1738.JPG
DSCN1739.JPG

You can use cheep diodes wired inline to stop the base frequency.
Or buy a cheep crossover or buy an "A" class amplifier for the dash speakers.

A class amps run high frequency, B class run 6x9, C class run your sub woofer.

For you I would just buy an A,B amp. They are common and cheep. Run the fronts on the A band and the rear on the B band.

Also a pair of dome tweeters mounted where the A pillar meets the roof would help.
These run high frequency only and will realy improve any car stereo. Note, you must buy the crossover or just wire in a diode so they dont distort. (Crossover 8 bucks, diodes 45 cents.)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NGTQ99S/?tag=joeychgo-20

Last edited:
When I was a younger man- teens until about 35, I could hear above 20K, 23-ish IIRC measured with a frequency generator.

I even used specific Radio Shack "death Star" tweeters to get that extra range in most of my speaker builds. Very durable as well- never had any fail.

Now I am lucky to hear 18K

Dammit I also used to see better than 20/20, and now I need readers.......

-
Back