Jetting

-

cannucky

The Guy With No Birthday
Reaction score
A little confused by Holley's numbering system , the dyno sheet say's it's got 94's front and back and I think the jets were stamped 94 when I looked at them so does that mean they are jet #94 or .094 hole size ? If it's jet #94 it would explain my too rich problem cause that seems like a lot of jet for a 410 inch sb doesn't it .Getting ready to order some smaller jet sizes to tune with just don't know what ballpark I am starting in eh .

I gota jet kit on ebay from #60 to #100 for cheap .just to give you a ball park idea my 520 hp 416 with a 950hp I use #68 primary and #78 secondary and it is still a tiny bit fat but nice and crisp .

Thanks your right in the same ballpark as my 410 , a .094 hole size is I believe a # 82 or close to it and I am looking at dropping about 4 sizes , not sure if I'll get down to a 68 up front , what I have now made great power but has been really rich to the point of leaving a golden film on the back bumper and tail panel after a couple of thousand km's of cross country highway cruising to moparfest the past couple of years .

Keep in mind the jet sizes do not necessarily represent the hole sizes in thousanths. Here is a Holley jets size chart. Notice how some sizes actually have the same hole size but a different jet number. I believe the jet numbers represent the flow rate. I'm sure other will chime in.

HolleyJetOrificeSizes.jpg

Okay forget 94 I just pulled the bowls off and checked , it's got 77 in front and 79 in the back so I'm goingbto get a couple of sizes in the 72-74 range to try up front and put the 77 in the back

Okay in order
A) it's a Holley hp950
B) I don't own a dyno so it's not telling me anything at this point , however when it was built Brian made several pulls after break in starting with 79/79 and 34 degrees total timing and ending with 77/79 and 32 degrees being the best of the lot .I ran it the way he shipped it until I popped a head gasket year 3 , at that point when we opened her up the pistons and heads were thick with crusty carbon , 2 years of fiddling with the carb and timing have only produced the same crusty interior so now I am going to re-jet it completely and was a little confused about holleys numbering system.
C) I am curious about which circuit is actually too rich in my setup since it didn't foul the plugs this bad before the blown head gasket but was crusty inside after a 1000mile cruise.
Ps thw blown head gasket wasn't a tuning issue it was the result of a demonstration of kick down linkage -yes it will kick down into 2nd at 95 mph but should you try it ? Uh No

Here is an article on air bleeds but it also states best power and torque are at 12.5-12.8 range rather then 14.7. Just food for thought when you look to lean out
thanks I'll look into that , the link goes to a former ebay page

What is the main use for this car? Does it do a fair amount of cruising or are you hard on it all the time? What power valve number is in there?

it just bombs around town most of the year but the real problems show up after/during my annual cross country blast to moparfest ,3000miles / 5000km one way equals about 45 hrs of highway over about 4 days depending on traffic . Brian sent it to me with 6.5's front and back for power valves I swapped them for 4.5 's a couple of year ago when it was loading up at the lights around town .

-
Back