John Bean 400 Drum Doktor Brake Lathe

-

340mouse

Reaction score
Looking at a brake lathe, $350, says it all works and has all attachments, how old is it and
it is for my use only, so not much use by me, is it worth my while, any comments.

I bought an Ammco last year that does drums and rotors. In the 6 months I have had it I saved 120 dollars on my familys cars. If you have room go for it you can resell it years down the road and never lose. I paid 700 for mine.

I have a brake lathe too. Paid $200 and had to have a shaft made for turning discs as it was missing.
I rarely use it.its handy but for 350 i would never buy it. Its easier/cheaper/faster to swap in a new pair of rotors or drums.
I have ideas for cutting and widening some wheels, using it to split the rim accurately.

To clean up drums and remove the rust ridge is what i mostly use it for.

Also to clean up corroded alloy wheels,chuck it up and wire wheel on drill to buff off the scale.

Tools ! I have an old Southbend lathe that I picked up 20 years ago for a hundred bucks . Sometimes I don't use it for years but when I need it I'm sure glad I have it.

I don't know anything about that specific lathe, but worth will depend on running condition AND ATTACHMENTS

Does it also turn disc rotors? You have photos of what all comes with?

Various bells and centering cones adds up quick when you "don't have" that one.

I have an old Ammco, I bought a junker drum only and a running Drum/ disc lathe, the junker provided a pile of accessories. I do use mine, one big problem around here is NOBODY seems to have these anymore.

-
Back