Jury duty

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have never done this and was wondering if anyone ells has.
Or is the judge just looking for a drummer-bass player for a party.
All BS aside they want me for two week's.
I will make the time for it and do my part and try to enjoy it.

just wondering 8)

I got called for it when I was 25 but my mom got me out of it (she has been a bailiff for almost 25 years) it just happened to be the same trial that she was working. She said that I would be "unruley" and be a pain in the ***.
She told the courthouse people that I would have caused a misstrial and called for the death penalty even if it had nothing to do with the case....She was probably right :toothy10:

Funny 360scamp. but I do have the time and I have never dun it befor.

Only been called to do it one time, and got out of it. Ex wife did it and said it wasn't that bad. I thought it was funny that they asked me to do it. Judge asked 3 questions and said if we could answer yes to any of them to stand up, by the time he was done I was almost to the roof...lo and any one who answered yes was excussed.l

I was dismissed from the Jury selection of a murder trial about 10 years back. When the defense lawyer was going thru the questions he asked me if I knew any of the people involved in this case. So I answered truthfully, Yes I knew each and everyone of the Police officers involved in the arrest and investigation. I was promptly let out of my jury involvement.

I did jury duty in 1994 for 3 weeks on a murder charge. A guy murdered a 8 year old girl and then..... you know. It's not for the faint of heart, and it's not fun. It is however your civic duty as a citizen of your country, and in this case, he got 2nd degree murder with no chance of parole for 25 years. I am now proud that I served my country, but I still think of how booze and drugs can affect your judgement. It is a very serious and important calling you face, and don't take it lightly, it WILL change your life. This guy was not a hang around the schools pedophile, just a early 40's loner. Strange......

i got called up about 12 years ago. it was for a coroners jury though. it was not reagular jury duty it only took about an hour and a half or so. since it was like this i was told that i would have to go three times instead of once, and they only held these hearings once a month or so. i only went twice and they never called me back for my third time. i was kind of disappointed i thought that it was rather interesting. we had to rule on the cause of death and stuff like that. the worst one was there was an older man, if i remember right he was in his late 60's to early 70's, he commited suicide. he had left a note for his wife that we got to read. he apologized over and over again to his wife, i guess that he had messed up when he had filed their taxes the previous year and the i.r.s. was coming down on them and he felt that there was no other way out. his letter said that he only owed them a few hundred dollars, if i remember right it was less than $500. damn that was sad. i thought what a bunch of b.s. i wonder if the i.r.s. knows what it brought this old man to do over a bunch of harassing leters and phone calls over just a couple hundred bucks?:crybaby:

I've made it many, many years without being called until this month...

I was on the list for my county for ND district court 2 weeks ago, rescheduled for this past week, now rescheduled for this coming week. The judge is a friend of my husband's, so I will probably be excused anyway if they ever get to jury selection (unless they change judges). My husband asked him how likely it is I will have to show up, and the judge said it very unlikely.

And then a couple days ago I got a US district court form for possible federal jury duty Sept 07 through March 08.

I guess they have a big dart board they throw darts at some name's and then sign them up:bootysha:

Thanks for all your experience's I just did not know what to expect.
Will they let me stand up every 15 to 20 min to get comfy.
It is hard for me to sit very long at a time.
my hips get to burning after a little while.

I had to call in for 4 months! We (our county) had a 4 month or 3 trial deal... or course you could always play the race game but then you miss all the juicy gossip. (it is really small-town around here!!!!)

We are a 55.000 population city. I will do my duty and be there when they say. My date is july10th to july24th. I have never served my country in the armed forces, but I have helped feed the world. the Queen of England has put strawberries I have picked with long stems just for here table.
Apples ,plums ,pears ,sweet and sour cherries ,tomatoes ,cucumber ,
blue berries ,okra ,oranges ,peaches , and just 3 years ago I helped getting rice out of the field. know I will pick a verdict.

I wonder if I will put a verdict in a quart , flat or a bucket. Ha Ha.:toothy10:
At least I will not be out in the hot sun and hopefully the a/c will be up and running. Thanks every one for your input.:clock:

Just tell them you can tell if someones guilty by just looking at them . Instant dismissal.

The day has come for me to go to town and do jury duty.
I am just hoping that they don't make me set very long.
But if they do I will take my hydrocodone with me.
Hopefully I can take a thief or some crack dealer or even better
someone who cooks the **** and puts it on our street here.
I know allot of our law enforcement here but not allot of the younger
guy's. I have about an hour and a half to get my self ready.
Yall have a good day and I will be back after 5 pm.
I am getting some coffee in me know and water and feed all the animals.

In Mass it's one day or one trial every three years for district court duty. Grand Jury I believe you are on call for three weeks and have to report as needed.

For district court I get a notice like clock works every three years, never have been called for grand jury. They let you change the date once and the location only if it's a hardship to get to the assigned location. I learned over 20 years ago if you change the date to a Friday the chances are when you call the day before you are told you don't have to report and if you do have to report you are dismissed by 10 am, no one wants to start a new trial on Friday. If you report at least they feed you.

I have only been selected once for a jury and it was a drunk driving case. We found the woman guilty and she was given the choice of 18 months in state prison or 9 months in a state rehab center. Though that was kind of harsh until afterwards the judge told us that it was her third offense and and she had two more pending since this incident.

The selection process is all 30 people in the panel are brought into the court room. The judge asks a few questions regarding whether you know the people involved and if you are capable of being impartial. Several folks will get dismissed as a result of this. They then draw straws for the panel. Then the DA and Defense can just up and dismiss a qty of people for no reason. Each time some one is dismissed some one new is drawn to replace that person. Then there is more questions and more dismissals until they have the qty they need. Everyone else is sent home.

My wife was selected for a violent rape case of a 13 year old that lasted three days. It was very graphic and it borthered her for months. They sent the guy away for another 20 years. He had been found guilty on another charge and was already in jail at the time of this trial.

Thanks for the time you took to post this heads up for me.
It will be little easier for me to understand there policies.
Thanks Dave,

I am back already!! Just so happen I new the guy in court that was suing
for damages to his car.

Here I go again, I think :neutral: I just looked on here to see what year I served last to fill in the time I served last, 2 weeks after this court date where I knew the kid I got called back in and served 2 day's.
mailing in my paper work today.. There has been a couple murders in town so I am hopping it is not a murder trial..

I consider it an honor to serve and have done several so far being in local and federal courts. Just think not everyone can serve only law abiding citizens. It is how America was put together by our fore fathers to insure a just trial by piers.

I consider it an honor to serve and have done several so far being in local and federal courts. Just think not everyone can serve only law abiding citizens. It is how America was put together by our fore fathers to insure a just trial by piers.

I agree chryslerfat, I never served to protect the country, nether of my grandfathers made it back, so that may have something to do with it.
But I can and will serve to protect the people in my area when it is possible
for me to do so, it may sound trivial but it gives me a seance of meaning in life as I
am living the life of a man needing meaning and purpose sometimes :glasses7:
This may sound silly, but it's just a day living in my shoes. :coffee2:

Why I never have and never will

1--I spent 6 years in the U.S. Navy. Find somebody else

2--I've always worked for small outfits and could have lost my job. I know, bla bla bla this is not legal but as we all know, it's easy to lay people off or get around that stuff. Hell Safeway Grocery stores thrive by abusing age discrimination laws.

3--In this area, there is damn little compensation (in my working years) it sure as hell did not pay the bills. Would I lose my house because of my civic duty? You know the answer to THAT

4--Nowadays, health problems "we" won't go into prevent me from sitting in one uncomfortable God Dammed chair for long periods of time. If you want, well, feel free

5--I'm sure with my attitude, I'd 'ha gotten into trouble, or hung the jury. How to make friends and influence people. Me? Politically correct? I don't think so, Tim

I'm right there with both chryslerfat and memike. It's an honor to be able to serve your community by honorably doing your jury duty. I've known too many people who laugh and joke about what they did to keep from serving.
I've only had the honor to serve on one jury. It was a classic "trip and fall" case that the complainant completely failed to prove their case. The funny thing was it took us, as the jury, longer to select a jury foreman than it did to come to a verdict. Once around the table and we all agreed. Then we had to come up with something to talk about for the next 30 minutes because we all felt we couldn't go back out in the courtroom so soon.

I get called just about every 3 years on the head. I will be moving to a different county in the next year. hopefully it puts and end to my run. every trial I have ended up on was a waste of tax payer money. the last one was about a fight In prison! yep in the prison.

A few years back I sat on a jury in a drug possession case. The case against the guy was pretty weak, and we ended up finding him not guilty. The guy was in a car with two other adults and a 2 year old kid. He was in the back seat with the kid. The cops pulled the car over and eventually ended up searching it. They found a spoon and a syringe on the floor in the rear roughly where the guys feet were that had minute traces of ****** on them. All three of the adults were losers, having had previous legal problems with ******, and it was because of this that we could not prove"beyond a shadow of a doubt" that it was his stuff.

Afterwards the judge asked us why we decided he was not guilty, we told her that given the history of the other two adults either one of them could have passed the needle and spoon back to him to hide when they got pulled over, so we couldn't positively link ownership of the stuff to him. We told her we thought he was probably guilty, but could not prove it absolutely.

-
Back