Just about to start my new swap

-

Mikes72dart

Reaction score
Got all my summer stuff out of the garage finally,(2 months late) gonna swap the dart and the challenger around tomorrow and start dismantling(engine and trans first)Or might drain the gas from the challenger put some fresh stuff in as i'm sure the old has water in the tank(no gas cap) and try to start it before pulling it out. I've never heard it run yet, thinking of checking first. If it ran before i pulled it no reason it shouldn't run after.:finga:

Attachments

• IMG_0491.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,349
  • IMG_0493.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,374
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,372
Looks like a fun project. One issue that I ran into when I first tried to start my engine was corrosion from the fuel that had sat in the injector rail plugged the injectors so it wouldn't start. Hopefully you do not have the same issue.

Newgen swap....oh your a gluten for punishment as well. Welcome aboard the punishment train.

Being that I have the whole car hoping to pull wiring harness and all out, haven't made any firm decisions yet but the plan is to cut the tunnel out of the challenger and weld it into the dart, thinking of swapping the entire dash over, heated seats for sure, going to be my daily driver to work so the six speed will be nice on the highway.

I was just reading the current issue of Mopar Action yesterday and there is a story about a guy who basically swapped his 1970 Sublime Dart body onto a 300 SRT Chassis. Had to narrow and shorten the chassis and even used the complete interior and dash. Backyard job.
Good luck.

i got no plans for the next 2 years, except trying to figure out my favourite beer in the garage. I always try to do my best so I'm gonna sample alot before i release my findings.

You're on the right track with a whole car you can take parts from. The Challenger was not out when I hand fabricated a new tunnel and crossmember for my Tremec trans. Once they came out, I ALMOST ordered a new tunnel from the parts department to start over (I love factory parts), but mine had turned out real nice and I decided it wasn't worth it.

I also fabricated the floor area and mounting areas to mount SRT8 "Sport" seats into my car. Again, it would have been nice to have all the floor mounting parts from that Challenger for a more factory engineered design. You could then use the Challenger front carpet which would fit the tunnel and under seat area, then trim it at the outer edges. Mine is going to have to be all custom carpet because of the custom tunnel and flooring...

Yes so happy, started the challenger for the first time today,fired right up first push of the button. should have the inside gutted by the end of the week. My poor darts out in the cold supposed to be friggin cold tomorrow well below freezing !! She'll have to suffer for a few weeks!

Attachments

• IMG_0499.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,142
  • IMG_0498.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,104
Interiors coming apart,hopefully get the wiring harness and dash out by next weekend so I can move on to pulling the engine and trans. Holly **** is there ever a lot of wiring in the new cars.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,065
  • IMG_0076.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,029
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,026
Great to start in on your project, eh? This will not be a simple swap, so you may get discouraged from time to time. Many here have been there. Stick with it and stay around here for encouragement. :)

Do you mind sharing what you paid for the Challenger, the year model and mileage? It would be a great gauge for any of us contemplating the purchase of a wrecked car for such a swap.

Copart bid was 2800,taxes fees,exchange!!, 2600 km round trip in for 4200$ 2012 12000 miles. Free tank of gas though

Picked it up in Billings Montana, I was able to track the owner down from a grocery reciept I found under the drivers seat. Grocery store manager made it possible. Awesome guy,helped me out a ton as I did not have either key fob. I mailed him a few personal effects and he mailed me the keys. THANKS JIM !! Also he walked away from the wreck, thanks mopar engineers. Working 2 days for night shifts this week, and got snow coming out my A$$. I'd rather be home pulling wrenches.

Attachments

• hurt_feelings_report.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 946
Don't know why the totaled it, a little bondo will fix'er right up. ;)

Great score, keep us posted.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

No broker just registered and put 10% down based on your max bid amount so.. 400$ 4000$ max bid. Copart was awesome to deal with in Montana, I have heard some bad stories out there but all the people I met In Montana were awesome,super nice, helpfull. When my cars done thats on my list for a road trip.

No broker just registered and put 10% down based on your max bid amount so.. 400$ 4000$ max bid. Copart was awesome to deal with in Montana, I have heard some bad stories out there but all the people I met In Montana were awesome,super nice, helpfull. When my cars done thats on my list for a road trip.

Thanks for the information Mike!

Really looking forward to seeing your build :cheers:

Mike

Ok i'm stuck,lol not really but rather then wasting the small amount of time i get to putter around I figure i'd just ask. Seats carpet plastic all out from interior labelling the million wires as to location numbering for end to ends. Steering column bolts are out 4 bolts in each door jam out can't budge the dash or find what else is holding it in. Going to move on to engine and trans removal on monday so I can get the firewall exposed and see what i'm missing. Plans are to drop the engine trans front wheels(well 1 wheel thats left) all as one lift the car with cherry picker. Goal is to do it in a day. wife permitting.:sign3:

Sweet way to get the swap going!!!

You might have to pull the windshield out to get the dash removed.

-
Back