just for knowlage 360 la or 360 magnum rebuild

-

winstoninwisc

Taint easy livin free,season ticket ona 1wayride
Reaction score
dollar for dollar wich rebuild will give me the best hp and reliability say 475 hp dollar to dollar
carberated

Ether. The Magnum block has a lack of an oiling to the head passage so cope/plan for that. But it also has taller lifter bores/bosses. Better for solid roller cam applications

It has been said, but I don't personally know, that the Magnum block is stronger.

Un-worked mag heads also breath better than any un-worked la heads ever did.

Pedestal rockers in the mag arent as strong as the la set up, but are more than capable of 400+ hp

Don't forget...with the LA you can use the stock heads
Dollars to donuts, the heads on the magnum are cracked and will need replacing

IDK
But if I get a do-over, it will be a Magnum, sooz I can run a really fast roller cam. Then I'll go down a size or two, and get me some really BIG torque, sooz I can run a lil less gear. And this time I will make it stick, if I have to spend a Zillion dollars,lol. I don't care if it only makes 380/400hp, but it better start breaking stuff back there again.
But IDK

Replace the stock heads with Engine Quest heads. No cracking, better port shape and smoother castings, thicker decks. Economy priced.

Cracked head issue, overated.
You could be running around with cracked heads and NEVER know it.

Thumbs up on the EQ replacement head idea IF ads are found to be a problem.

Cracked head issue, overated.
You could be running around with cracked heads and NEVER know it.

Thumbs up on the EQ replacement head idea IF ads are found to be a problem.

Agree, My 2000 ram 318 mag has 245,000 miles on it. I am SURE the heads are cracked. Still runs fine, as do nearly every other one...

Exactly! My old Durango had 245,000 on the clock. My Dakota V6 also has a bit more. IIRC, it's around 275,000.

Are the heads cracked?
4 words, 2 the same...
Don't know, don't care...
Why?
Not a problem with coolent or oil loss. Doesn't overheat, run on, clatter, shim, shake, vibrate, just does what it's supposed to do. Everyday, every time, all the time. Been getting the same mileage since I have owned it. Rock steady all the time.

No reason to take them off because the Internet crowd SWARES that 99% of them are cracked and if there not will crack sooner or later.

When there's a problem, it will be addressed. Not until then. Total waste of time and money for street and mild performance duty. There all ready a 9.0-1 ratio. Just give them a cam, headers and an intake. Bam! Done.

Have a head problem rear it's ugly head? What something better than 400hp? 2 good choices are the EQ & Edelbrock heads.

Dollar for dollar I'd go LA if the goal is 475hp. You'll need heads anyway. Intake choices are better. Performance valvetrain parts are cheaper. Flat tapper cheaper. Initial cost is the same. If the goal was 400hp I'd go magnum because it's basically a cam and intake swap.

IDK
But if I get a do-over, it will be a Magnum, sooz I can run a really fast roller cam. Then I'll go down a size or two, and get me some really BIG torque, sooz I can run a lil less gear. And this time I will make it stick, if I have to spend a Zillion dollars,lol. I don't care if it only makes 380/400hp, but it better start breaking stuff back there again.
But IDK

Why you could upgrade to hydraulic roller now

I think the Magnums are great for grabbing a running one and add cam, 4bbl and headers but if doing full rebuild I go LA unless you already have a magnum.

Rocker arm oiling is the only problem in doing one for many people.

Why you could upgrade to hydraulic roller now
True that
But retrofitting rollers is an expensive deal. I'm semi-retired now, and kindof pinching pennies. I will have to work to my dying day. It's a good thing I'm never sick.
And the whole street-rod thing has kindof lost it's attraction for me.
I've kindof moved on...........Besides, I might have to dynomite the beast to smithereens soon.......

True that
But retrofitting rollers is an expensive deal. I'm semi-retired now, and kindof pinching pennies. I will have to work to my dying day. It's a good thing I'm never sick.
And the whole street-rod thing has kindof lost it's attraction for me.
I've kindof moved on...........Besides, I might have to dynomite the beast to smithereens soon.......

Ya I'm also on the work until you die program (Taxi Driver).

With the 5.9 magnum, you get the roller lifters. Don`t have to worry about wiping cam. And you can reuse stock lifters. You can have head drilled to use either la or magnum intakes.

On a side note does ANYONE have a print/ specs or even a source for the unobtaniuable drill jig to convert mag heads to LA intake?

Just don't like chevy style rockers of magnum heads. I know magnums can be power houses. But LA's when done carefully and thought out can really shine and skoot like a magnum or better! Just my 2 centavos folks!

Hughes makes a shaft rocker system for the magnum heads.....

Yeah but not as affordable as LA heads! LA's were born that way!:rolleyes:
But then again, any serious LA will have a good strong stiff aftermarket set up. Not the flimsy OE material. And it can be expensive

It seems to me, that the .904 FTHs do have an advantage, that I like, namely fast clearance ramps. This allows your 230* cam @.050 to be rather "small" advertised, making it possibly idle closer to a stocker. And that is stealth mode.
Or you can a run a solid lifter cam of a couple of .050 sizes bigger, and not pay the effective compression-loss penalty at low rpm .
Now, I've never run a roller on the street, and probably never will, and so I cannot speak from experience; but I'd like to see a test of a 230 Hydraulic roller (about the slowest ramps),against a 230 solid FT (about the fastest ramps), with the cylinder pressure/Dcr normalized between them. I'd be interested to see the low-rpm and midrange comparison, the place we streeters spend most of our time.
I'm not interested in peak-power, because I mostly only go there every once in a while in first gear, and the tires are always spinning anyway. With 3.55s the top of second gear is waaay up there, where I rarely find a place, or opportunity to go to.
But a 230 has the ability to still be pulling well and deep into the 6000s, so IMO, it's a great dual-purpose street cam.
Yeah that's a test I'd like to see. And I'd like the compression normalizing to be achieved with pistons, not machining everything in sight, and the Q to be kept in the zone.
If I was 20 years younger, and this was 20 years ago, and I had the cash then that I do now (kids gone,lol); I would seriously entertain the thought of doing that test. But alas, it's not .
sigh

-
Back