Just joined - looking forward to it!

-

Flying G

Reaction score
Greetings All. Former owner of '71 Challenger & '74 Duster. Took 15 years off from cars to road race motorbikes.

Now working with my dad on a '67 Barracuda. Looking to build a road car that would be as happy in the mountains as on Main St.

I always wind up with the weird vehicles that are just a bit different, so I will be looking for help with what to do about running the exhaust, among other things.

Cheers!

Flying G,
Welcome. So is this your car and your Dad's helping...? If so, that's great. What kind of things do you mean by a little bit different? I'm working on a 71 Duster, don't want it to be totally like all the others...

My Dad has had the car since I was in high school (30 years!?!), but only got it running last year. Unfortunately, he is now having severe back problems & told me that unless me or my brother wanted the car, he would sell it or part it out. I've always liked the lines of the notchback, so we agreed that he & I would finish the car to my liking, I would finance it, he would oversee most the technical stuff, my brother & I would supply the grunt work, & he would get to enjoy the car as long as he wanted.

It's got a ratty dark green body, but is basically rust free. One fender may have been hit in the past. We are thinking either a darker red, B5 blue, or possibly the later model golden-green metallic color. It's not pretty, but it's pretty much all there.

For the drivetrain, we're planning a 408-ish stroker with a 4-speed. I live on the Tenn side of the Smokies, so I'm more interested in road race than drag race. Think 'Shine runner. My dad's already fitted subframe connectors, fitted an 8-3/4" rear, single-piston disks up front, & heavier springs w/ sway bars all around, so we're most of the way there. It's currently set up with a 3-speed manual, but the 360 engine was pulled & dropped in my brother's Cordoba.

The question about the exhaust is that the gas tank straps on the early cars run side-to-side, exactly where the pipe needs to go once they go up & over the rear end. Right now, my dad has a marine gas tank in the trunk. Any suggestions?

-
Back