Just painted

-

KB9GIB

Reaction score
What can I use to cover a freshly painted car sheets are not big enough. thanks for any information KB9GIB
FF32DBFB-F766-4621-84BC-28CF8D331265.jpeg

OP, I just got my Dart back from being painted and was advised not to put anything on it till the paint has a chance to cure. The reason I was given was that while the top of the paint is dry to the touch, underneath is still soft and curing, that anything you put on top could leave an imprint no matter how light or heavy the cover is. I don't know how accurate that is, but I spent too much to take a chance. He especially cautioned me against placing anything plastic over it. I guess that doesn't breathe enough to allow the paint to offgas.

That being said, I would like a more definitive answer, other than 'wait as long as you can before covering it. Its been 3 weeks now, its a bit dusty but the weather is holding out so I'll leave it uncovered. Hopefully somebody with more experience will chime in soon with a better answer.

Last edited:
I have a friend I see all the time who runs a restoration shop literally right down the road. I'll ask him what he uses. Beautiful car!

Not knowing the materials that were used and how they were applied and the time given between each stage my 40 years of painting cars I would suggest if you let it sit uncovered in a warm environment for a month it will cured enough that a light, maybe cotton, car cover would be fine. I left mine uncovered all winter while I reassembled the car in a heated garage but that was optimal and many might not have that option.

Not knowing the materials that were used and how they were applied and the time given between each stage my 40 years of painting cars I would suggest if you let it sit uncovered in a warm environment for a month it will cured enough that a light, maybe cotton, car cover would be fine. I left mine uncovered all winter while I reassembled the car in a heated garage but that was optimal and many might not have that option.
Thanks for all your information I’ll just leave it uncovered this winter. Thanks KB9GIB

If the paint was baked usually it's good to go very shortly after being done. If it's the usual regular spray job iirc they say wait at least 3 weeks to a month before washing it. Again this is because even though it's dry to the touch the paint is still soft. If you can wait as long as possible before covering it would be best. I would think a couple more weeks and you should be good to cover it with soft blankets. If it's somewhere where wind may get at it I'd wait longer as the wind moving the cover may still scuff the paint and that'd be a heartbreaker on a beautiful paint job.

If the paint was baked usually it's good to go very shortly after being done. If it's the usual regular spray job iirc they say wait at least 3 weeks to a month before washing it. Again this is because even though it's dry to the touch the paint is still soft. If you can wait as long as possible before covering it would be best. I would think a couple more weeks and you should be good to cover it with soft blankets. If it's somewhere where wind may get at it I'd wait longer as the wind moving the cover may still scuff the paint and that'd be a heartbreaker on a beautiful paint job.

I'm sure you already know but seen people make the mistake of waxing there car a month after it was painted.

-
Back