Just thinking out loud

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Thought I would start to look for a nice spot to mount my tach before I start to sand and paint my interior. This thought came to mind and I was wondering if anyone else had tried this location and if so was it a good location for being visually fuctional? I am using the ash tray space.
Rod

View attachment DSCN4060.jpg

View attachment DSCN4061.jpg

Way to low for me Rod. 90% of mine were at least column mounted.....maybe cause I'm old (school) lol.

Back before shift lights were available, I even mounted one on the hood right in the line of site.....yep, it was a Chebby. :D

Attachments

• scan0015.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 229
I always like the tach in a spot where I can see it while watching the road...even if only in my peripheral vision.

My tach is mounted where you have yours in the pic but I have the shift light mounted behind steering wheel in front of the speedometer. When Im just cruising I have no problem looking at the tach in that spot

I like the knee knocker location too - mind you I don't race it or take it to the track (yet), just cruising. Not a great picture, but it hangs at the perfect angle to see it just fine when behind the wheel.

Attachments

• 100_5383.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 210
Id like to put mine on the top of the dash but Im sure that the Pa Police wont like it there and will remind me anytime I am out with a little yellow slip! The columns not in right now but it looks like i need to slide it in temporarily to see if that might be a better fit. Im afraid its going to be to big/bulky for there. I was thinking the shift light at column but I agree the tach may be hard to see there while racing. Should have made a custom dash! lol
Rod

I've had them low on the dash for years - normally smaller faced units like Stewart Warner or Sun. It's a more stealthy approach and yet is in an easy-to-see-and-focus-on spot. I'm not a fan of monster tachs or placement up on top of the dash. It blocks too much up there.

there is a thread floating around with pictures of where different members mounted them
ill try to find it

-
Back