K frame modification ?

-

dartman 440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i have the 1970 biscuit style k frame and was wondering if it would be ok window the bottom of it to accept the 73 sway bar which goes the center of the k frame without compromising the k frame, has anyone done anything like this ?thanks in advance ed

never seen anyone do it. are you trying to avoid buying a new bar?...how's your fab skills?

I don't see why you couldn't. You could add a skid plate as a reinforcement anyway, I add them to all of my K's when I seam weld them.

Here's the '68-72
IMG_3465.jpeg

this is a '73-76
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Here's a Firm Feel skid plate added.
KFA3.jpg

Or you could add one more like the factory piece
skidplate.jpg

I have actually seen an early biscuit k-member with the lower cutout. It was in a '68 GTS, but likely had been replaced later in the car's life. We did get a correct '68 k-member and that one might be available. But, yes it can be done, but it's not just a simple cutout.

Far as I can tell it is just a matter of cutting away as much metal as the factory did to thread the bar through the K. Bar shape wont go through small holes.Is the early solid K stronger than the cut away type? Who knows? We have seen a very few bent K members here, bolt holes to frame rails dont line up. Can't say which type K they were.More likely the later cut away type.

Some '69 cars came with a K frame that worked with either anti-sway bar. I had a late '69 K in the my shop for a bit and at first it threw me for a loop. It had the cut outs and the stamped portion for the late model anti-sway bar but it also was drilled on the front lip for the early style sway bar. I guess the K frame mfg started the change over early so they could use up all their inventory.

I've also seen '73-up k-members with the holes for the early bar in only one half of the stamping. Weird matching of parts over the years.

-
Back