K-FRAME STITCH WELDING......THOUGHTS?

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

So I'm putting the front suspension together and I am cleaning up the K frame. I have already re-welded all of the **** factory welds for the engine and steering mounts, and welded in some extra support around the lower control arm mounting bosses. Just wondering what everyone thinks about welding the upper and lower section of the k frame together all the way around the perimeter? Input appreciated. Thanks.

BTW......Mild 340 car with auto transmission and 3.23 gears. P/S and P/B.

Yes stich up any areas that look funky. It's not necessary to fully weld it.

IMHO, if some things are too stiff they will put stress on other areas.

Not sure it would apply to what your asking, but who knows the intent of the factory welds. Speed? Price? Engineering?

IMHO, if some things are too stiff they will put stress on other areas.

Not sure it would apply to what your asking, but who knows the intent of the factory welds. Speed? Price? Engineering?
You know, that's why I decided to ask this question. I am thinking the same thing.

A74A5D8A-2BFB-4CD9-8CD7-5484C69A1983.jpeg
6C1B5AE4-0A2E-4FA3-9EBA-60F8B317627B.jpeg

My 69 BB K was pretty Good.

Lots of 2" wire sections left though! I ground those off before a epoxy refinish!

Yup, even i am finish welding and cleaning up the factory welds on my slant six K frame that will have a slant on it. The factory did not take much time on any of these cars because they were trying to get paid for them as quick as possible and as long as no one complained over the years then all was ok for them, but that still doesn't mean they did a good job welding these K frames.

I like the idea of gussets around the where the lower control arm studs go into the K frame. So many of these cars died early because the lower control arm stud sleeve broke and wobbled into a big hole and huge clunk that scared the **** out of the drivers who would junk the car for that very reason.

My box mount cracked. I would definately weld that thing up as good as possible. When it cracks, the front wheels act like bad shopping cart wheels at about 15 mph and will shake your radio right out the dash.

I reinforce the steering box mount, LCA pivot tubes and fully seam weld the K’s for my cars. You’re not going to make the K “too stiff” by doing that.

The too stiff thing came from one of Uncle Tony's first shows. I couldnt follow his logic .

The too stiff thing came from one of Uncle Tony's first shows. I couldnt follow his logic .

That's because it isn't logic. That "show" is full of so much bad information it's not even funny. Metallurgy, work hardening and stress/strain fractures are clearly not something Tony is well versed in.

What I did on mine, right or wrong, instead of welding perimeter of K-member, I took a spot weld cutter and cut only through top layer of metal in between factory spot welds, and then plug welded each of them. Then I installed the Firm Feel K-frame stiffening kit, and rewelded around motor mounts etc...

Hi Folks

So I'm putting the front suspension together and I am cleaning up the K frame. I have already re-welded all of the **** factory welds for the engine and steering mounts, and welded in some extra support around the lower control arm mounting bosses. Just wondering what everyone thinks about welding the upper and lower section of the k frame together all the way around the perimeter? Input appreciated. Thanks.

BTW......Mild 340 car with auto transmission and 3.23 gears. P/S and P/B.

Weld it all, and I see you have gussetted the steering box mounts. Also consider the larger 11/16 seamless tie rods from Firm feel.tie rods,. Also , this is the perfect time to check the torsion bar mounts in the crossmember. You may need to weld them as well.

Weld it all, and I see you have gussetted the steering box mounts. Also consider the larger 11/16 seamless tie rods from Firm feel.tie rods,. Also , this is the perfect time to check the torsion bar mounts in the crossmember. You may need to weld them as well.
Cross member is new, as is everything else on this pig!

Weld it up! I welded and powder coated mine. I tried to find the best pics I could. Yes, do weld up the steering box mount. That area flexes quite a bit.

IMG_20170627_072427.jpg

IMG_20170628_091315.jpg

IMG_20170628_091326.jpg

IMG_20170625_124015.jpg

The LCA pivot tubes are not welded to the k in the front.
I cut access holes and welded from the inside.

@CFD244 is that stick welded? That's nice looking! That untouched stock steering gear mount is a joke! I remembered pulling mine and seeing 1 crack in it and the thing was flopping around like a loose tooth. I just bought a new one ad that one had a far better weld where the old one cracked. Maybe it was a Monday 1st shift job. In hindsight I should have kept it and welded it up for an extra but that was a looong time ago.

-
Back