K-H brake calipers seized?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Just got some time to spend on the calipers. No prob, right? Spread 'em, pull out the old and drop in the new and stake tight. 30 minutes a side..On Hell! They are off the car so I dont have alot of leverage so I used a large C-clamp to compress the outboard side. Started out kinda stiff but it started to move and nasty fluid came out (these were bought used so Im getting them for s drum swap) Got it fully compressed and the pad is out. On to the inboard side... Broke the C-clamp! So I split the caliper and chuck it in my vise. No chance. These are seized. Ok, we all know the corrosion is on the outside so if I can get the pistons to move out, I can just clean them up and put them back in. After trying to figure out how to do this (compressed air, grease gun fitting, system pressure?) to get them out. I wondered what they looked like under the boot to casue them to seize. They were spotless! Boot was perfect, just a little grime in the seam. So I shot some brake fluid in there and took out my BFH and put the caliper piston side down on the concrete garage floor and tapped it with the 3 lb sledge. Son of a gun, they made a dull thud sound, crap shot out the fitting ports and they started to move. Once I broke the seize, Smooth sailing. Now since they are all apart, Im gonna paint them RED! Ha, just kidding. I think semigloss black will do. I hope the other side is a little more willing. I might just mount it without the pads and give it a little push on the pedal while protecting the rotor, or just split that one too.

-
Back