Kawasaki Enduro Summer Project Success!

-

ValiantK360

Reaction score
Well today I picked up this 1979 Kawasaki KE100 Enduro that was not currently running. The biggest issue it had is that the kick starter was not working properly, so the only way to turn over the engine was to push start it. Before I bought the bike I tried getting it started by doing that, but had no luck (I forgot that the fuel petcock was "off" :rolleyes:). I tried it again after I bought the bike (I remembered to put the petcock to "on" lol) and it still did not want to start. So I took the spark plug out to see the condition it was in and it looked brand new, but it was really wet from all the gas. I dried it off and set it to the factory spark plug gap (0.028). I put the spark plug back and did another push start (thinking it still was not going to start up) and surprisingly enough, it started right up! I put it into neutral and revved it up a few times (it was smoking like a chimney), and let it idle for about 5 minutes. The engine sounded really healthy and it was producing a great amount of smoke (that's a good sign since it's a 2-stroke). I did not get a chance to give it a test ride, but I'm pretty excited it started up very easily! I know it will need a bit of carburetor work/tuning though since it is running rich at the moment. The weird thing is that I don't know where the choke is for the carburetor, but that will have to be something I will have to investigate. I knew from the start that this "project" bike was really a good investment and I predicted that it wasn't going to take much to get it running. I was expecting a bit more trouble, considering the fact that it's a 37 year old motorcycle. I still want to get the kick starter working, but that will require me to split the case and all which is another project within itself. Looks like for now I'm push starting it :D. This was my success for the day!

1979 Kawasaki KE100_1.jpg

1979 Kawasaki KE100_2.jpg

1979 Kawasaki KE100_3.jpg

1979 Kawasaki KE100_4.jpg

1979 Kawasaki KE100_5.jpg

Pretty cool!
I love the old iron, just picked up a
1976 Honda 550 SS this past weekend myself.

I bought a Honda MT125 years ago that would not run after much head scratching found the muffler was plugged up ended up baking the muffler and braking up the crud in it ran like a champ after that.

Brian

I've got a 74 Suzuki TS-185. It stuck from sitting, and I took the jug off and got the piston out. That's as far as I've gotten, but hopefully will get time to get it going again soon.

I own 76 KE175 B it smokes same way like yours and getting register today and ride . by the way did you get the carb cleaned really good ?

if you need some parts I have few things like turn signals and speedos, tach stuff like that .

more like pilot jet clogged need blow it out then no issues after that how i do mine .

Nice find, smokers are cool!!
You'd really rather have it run rich than even a little bit lean.
I found that splitting the case wasn't nearly as daunting as I had thought
Here's your knowledge base... 2 Stroke World - Index

And here's my project, before it went under the knife and currently. '79 RD 400 Daytona Special w/ 250 Ninja suspension bits.

IMAG0385.jpg

IMAG0516.jpg

Well today I picked up this 1979 Kawasaki KE100 Enduro that was not currently running. The biggest issue it had is that the kick starter was not working properly, so the only way to turn over the engine was to push start it. Before I bought the bike I tried getting it started by doing that, but had no luck (I forgot that the fuel petcock was "off" :rolleyes:). I tried it again after I bought the bike (I remembered to put the petcock to "on" lol) and it still did not want to start. So I took the spark plug out to see the condition it was in and it looked brand new, but it was really wet from all the gas. I dried it off and set it to the factory spark plug gap (0.028). I put the spark plug back and did another push start (thinking it still was not going to start up) and surprisingly enough, it started right up! I put it into neutral and revved it up a few times (it was smoking like a chimney), and let it idle for about 5 minutes. The engine sounded really healthy and it was producing a great amount of smoke (that's a good sign since it's a 2-stroke). I did not get a chance to give it a test ride, but I'm pretty excited it started up very easily! I know it will need a bit of carburetor work/tuning though since it is running rich at the moment. The weird thing is that I don't know where the choke is for the carburetor, but that will have to be something I will have to investigate. I knew from the start that this "project" bike was really a good investment and I predicted that it wasn't going to take much to get it running. I was expecting a bit more trouble, considering the fact that it's a 37 year old motorcycle. I still want to get the kick starter working, but that will require me to split the case and all which is another project within itself. Looks like for now I'm push starting it :D. This was my success for the day!

One of my friends had the 120 version of that bike and it was a fast little sucker for it's size.
The choke could be a simple metal lever on the carb and some had a black knob on the side of the carb that pulled up and some out, that sometimes got broken and lost.
If you don't see either the lever or the knob, look for a knurled stub on the carb and that's probably it.
Also if that is still running the oil injection system they flip out sometimes, but a two stroke that sat for awhile usually has a bunch of oil puddled in the crankcase that takes a little time to burn (why it smokes so much right now)

-
Back