Kb190 Pistons And Eddy Heads

-

JimmyV

MOPAR!!
Reaction score
I Am Running The The Kb190 Pistons And Also The Eddy 6017 Heads Witch Are The Open Chamber 65cc Heads..i Was Told I Coudl Not Do This Because The Quench On The Piston Would Cause The Piston To Hit The Head But Its All Assembled And Rotates Freely? I Am Not To Worried About It Just Wondering If Anybody Else Has Ran Into This And What They Did...the Guy Who Did My Motor New What Heads And Pistons I Was Using And Never Said Anyting So I Never Thought About It Until Now

Did he clay it for clearance or just assemble it and turn it over trying to feel a thump?? If he did what are the clearance measurements??

no he did not...he just said "ive done it before" big mopar guy been doing it for years so i trusted him..i mean i got it all togeter and it rotates fine no thump and doesnt hit head i cam make many revolutions with it

The biggest thing is the deck height. If the block was machined properly, the piston would hit. If the decks were skim cut, the pistons are lower in relation to the head... But you have to know how much lower. If you have piston to head clearance tighter than .040" (what the special gaskets for the RPMs compress to...) then you may have a problem. My guess is you're fine with the open chanber heads.

Like I Said It Rotates Fine...... No Binding Even Rotates Ok With The Starter Nice And Free No Loud Knocks Or Thumps..

I've got a question that's related to this. When you check with clay do you have to do it on all cylinders or can you do it on just one?

I only do it on two. One on each side. But I have every block square decked to a certain height. So I already know it's going to be exactly the same. If things get really close, i'd check them all. If you dont have a shop that can square deck as opposed to simply decking you need to check them all.

I Want An Honest Openion What Would You Guys Do Head Bolt Up
All Tourged Everything Rotates Freely??? Go With It?

It would rotate freely if there was .001 clearance.

I would do a clay check if there was even the slightest question.

What About Setting The Head On There Wiht No Gasket And Rotating I Have Heard Of People Doing That Because If It Doesn Hit You Knnow You Have Atlease .040 Clearance Depending On Head Gasket

I Have The Open Chamber 340 Heads 65cc They Should Work Wiht Those Pistons Seeing As How The Older 340 Pistons Came Up Out Of The Block...

Ok So I Got Home Tonight Pulled The Head Now The Kb Pistons Dome Sticks Up 0.050 The Edelbrock Heads Are Machined With A 0.060 Clearance For The Early High Compression 34os The Head Gaskets I Have Compresed Measure 0.038 So That Is A Total Of 0.098 Of Clearance Subtract The Piston Dome Of 0.050 That Is 0.038 What Do You Guys Thing About That Sound Right?? Seems To Me This Is A Roundabout Way Of Measureing With Out The Use Of Clay..let Me Know

The min clearance should be at least 0.055 , for a non dome piston. The early 340 pistons had a chamfered edge to properly fit the combustion chamber. I personally would not trust any one who didnt properly measure it. Its alot of money and heartache if you tap a piston. The best way to get an accurate measurement is to put the piston at top dead center , install the head with or without the gasket ,( remembering to add the thickness of the gasket if you do it without), and turn the engine upside down and loosen the rod bolts and measure with a dial indicator by moving the rod up to contact the head.

I would really suggest a accurate measurement with any type but especially with your setup.

This may not help so much, but then again it might.

I was running zero deck KB-107's+.030 (Flat tops, 2 valve reliefs) with Edel. heads. The regular ones, not the 340 units. The gasket I used was .039 thick, a Fel-Pro. No issues with pistons slappin the heads.

is the machinist gonna guarantee it not to hit. and rebuild if it does. if not pull the heads. you can retorque the gaskets. just saw the newer post. thats the reccommended quench for kb,s my 191s are set there

This may not help so much, but then again it might.

I was running zero deck KB-107's+.030 (Flat tops, 2 valve reliefs) with Edel. heads. The regular ones, not the 340 units. The gasket I used was .039 thick, a Fel-Pro. No issues with pistons slappin the heads.

so what do you think then i just went back out and put the #1 to tdc layed a straight edege acrossed and measured from that to deck at its about 0.048-0.050 witch is the dome of the piston my gasket compressed is 0.038 the head is 0.060 so that is 0.098 subtract the dome of the piston 0.050 you get 0.038 and i have red and had a lot of people tell me that 0.035-0.040 is optimum..

yeah me too.......i also layed the head on there with no gasket and rotated it and watched the head to see if it moved up or could hear nythign hit and i didnt rotates fine and head didnt move indicating contact..so thats good especialy since there is no gasket so that is going to add clearance any way

ok i clayed my cylinders this morning and have a bout 0.038-0.039 clearance for piston so i can allways get bigger gaskets to bring that up while i was in there i clayed valves on one cylinder just to check if the cam i had was going to work. i layed about a 1/4 peace of clay on both valve reliefs and rotated then it stoped so i didnt force it i pulled all back apart and found that my intake valve completly compressed the clay and the exhause valve barely touched it so the intakes is obviously going to hit the piston i have the comp cams 294s cam .525 lift and 294 duration my question for you guys is cam recomendtaions other then this one since it is obciously to big for the set up i currently have.. and here are the details 360 0.060 over kb190 pistons with the eddy open chamber heads victor intake and headers arp everything what cam woudl you guys recomend that i run with that set up??? that you might know off hand that will work so i dont order it get it and still does the same thing any ideahs guys?? i want to run solid too

after i took it all apart i rotated it with the lifters in and just watched the intake lifter as the piston came up and it was still open so i am thinkin its the duration thast getting

ok i have a adjustable cam gear with 3 options i think i have it straight up right now...... so should i advance or retart it??

-
Back