keep or sell original single barrel intake

-

sixbanger225

Reaction score
I have recently done a super six conversion on my '70 duster. It works great I might add!
I have no intention of going back to the original intake system. The "super" is exactly that! So, I got the car from the original owner couple of years ago...69,000 miles! It's original except for some upgrades I've done...power disc brakes, nice slot wheels, stereo (no dash cutting involved)...just the stuff to make it an easy driver. Should I sell all the original intake stuff or keep it with the car? Your thoughts?

I save everything, so i might not be the best one to answer that. If you have room, no harm in stashing it and the carburetor and associated 1bbl stuff away. Not that you would use it again if your running the 2bbl and like it. I am assuming its cast iron and the super six setup was aluminum. If so you lightened the front end a bit too. Or sell it. Theres always somebody looking for stock stuff.

Its like a 2bbl for a 318. How many of those do you see for sale? Don't put yourself through selling it, just hang it on the wall and forget about it. Working 1bbl has "help a brother out" value, may wanna put that out there. Aluminum 1bbl intake have some EFI value as its easy to drill and fill some injector bungs into an AL intake.

I guess that's up to you. Do you want to keep it or not?

I had a vintage CZ dirt bike and was always looking for and holding on to spare parts. I sold the bike and all the parts and was relieved to see extra space in the garage. I know someone who wants the parts but haven't confirmed the deal yet. I think I'll sit on the parts for another month or so and then move 'em along. Thanks everyone for your input. I hate getting rid of spare parts...but there comes a time when it has to happen.

Even the aluminum slant 1 bbl intakes are not worth much. When I change stuff on my old cars, I like to keep the taken off parts. I always wind up selling the car eventually seems like, so I can offer the parts to the buyer. If he does not want the stuff, and I see no need to keep, I chunk it or give it away.
You just need to know what you might one day need, have room?, and know if a part is worth a $ or not. One day it might be!

I always find that after i get rid of something I'll be looking for it 2 or 3 months later.

I have recently done a super six conversion on my '70 duster. It works great I might add!
I have no intention of going back to the original intake system. The "super" is exactly that! So, I got the car from the original owner couple of years ago...69,000 miles! It's original except for some upgrades I've done...power disc brakes, nice slot wheels, stereo (no dash cutting involved)...just the stuff to make it an easy driver. Should I sell all the original intake stuff or keep it with the car? Your thoughts?
I have accumulated all the parts that I need to do the same thing to my 65 Valiant (probably this coming weekend), and was debating the same thing (store the parts, or sell). I think I will keep the parts to go with the car if I sell it some day... I'm curious. What did you use for a carb, and what set up did you use for the throttle and kick down?

I have accumulated all the parts that I need to do the same thing to my 65 Valiant (probably this coming weekend), and was debating the same thing (store the parts, or sell). I think I will keep the parts to go with the car if I sell it some day... I'm curious. What did you use for a carb, and what set up did you use for the throttle and kick down?
I found a NEW carb that is actually the proper one for a super. I looked for import markings and all that crap that would tell me where it was from but couldn't find anything. It looks like a NOS carb! I had my doubts about its functioning but it fired right up and has worked great ever since. It did however, have little idle mixture limiting things on it but but that was it. So I can't say for sure exactly where the carb is from. I paid $125 with free shipping a year ago or so.
The kickdown linkage was a pain to deal with! I got hold of 2 of them that are for a super. I had to make one about an inch longer for it work. laying on the driveway trying to adjust it was terrible...very hard to get to. The original from my car was not gonna work. Where it goes onto the trans was turned the wrong way. The little nub that connects to the kickdown lever needed to face downward. My original did not.
I had lots of trouble with vacuum leakes too! I ended up taking both the intake and exhaust manifolds to the machine shop to have them faced or surface as a unit where they mate to the head. The machinist who I've been going to for some 40 years doesn't like the think gaskets! he thinks they encourage warping...and I can see why. Make sure everything is perfectly flat and straight and us Felpro. It's a long project so be prepared to spend some hours fooling around with stuff!

I'm using the same throttle cable that was used for the one barrel. It has a little bit of a bend to it but it works smoothly. I thing one from 318 2-barrel is the correct one.

-
Back