Keeping 13 inch wheels during disc conversion

-

stv13402

Reaction score
Hey folks! New member here.

I was looking at disc conversion kits for my 66 valiant with the 13 inch wheels and the 9 inch drums.

Is there a disc conversion kit or some junkyard mopar I could find that would fit my original 13 inch wheels?

Thanks yall!

I don't believe so. Those 13" wheels are just too small for the calipers.

Also remember you have a 4” bolt pattern now. You will probably have to go to a 4.5” pattern on the front. Just thought I’d let you know.

If you are going 14 might be proactive and go 15. I know it changes the look a bit.

But 13 and now 14" tires are getting harder to find.

Yup, '66-72 Kelsey Hayes and I believe someone makes an aftermarket kit that keeps the small bolt pattern.....Scarebird? Dr. Diff?.....seems I remember seeing one. I don't know of any 13" wheel that will fit with any disc brake setup though. Heck even some of the earlier 13" wheels wouldn't fit on 10" drum brakes, let alone disc. If you're planning to upgrade the rear end too, and you're not going to keep it close to stock looking, I'd go large bolt pattern. Many more options on rear axles, wheels, and brake changeovers.

You have plenty of options to retain the 5x4 small bolt pattern up to and including the factory Kelsey Hayes 4 piston caliper setup. Scarebird, Wilwood and others have the small bolt pattern brakes. Scarebird is fairly reasonable. The others can get pretty pricey and people selling the original stuff have slap lost their frikkin minds.

From personal experience on my 66. The Scarebird kit worked fine, but my original narrow width 14" wheels still rubbed on the calipers. I ended up grinding on the calipers to get the proper clearance.

I ended up ditching that set up and went to the big bolt pattern. Probably the best upgrade I made on my car. Endless possibilities for good brakes, aftermarket wheels and better quality/tire sizes.

-
Back