KH Caliper Bolt - what do I have?

-

Cuda68Scott

Reaction score
IMG_0588resize- Copy.JPG

So I thought I had two original KH caliper to spindle mounting bolts, so I ordered two more new reproduction KH bolts from a FABO member to have a complete set for my Barracuda disc brake upgrade. In the picture the left bolt is the new reproduction unit and the right is one of the two I already had and thought to be original. The reproduction bolts are very nice and fit in the caliper hole a bit more snug than the old ones. I measured the shoulder of the repro bolt and it is slightly wider. You can see in the pic that the repro bolt has more shoulder length, less thread length, thicker head, and is a hair shorter in overall length.

This is a bit of a curiosity to me, can anybody tell me whether my old bolts could be original? I came by these two older bolts from a fairly complete KH setup I purchased from another FABO member.

Last edited:
The one on the right is not an original to a Kelsey Hayes 4 piston caliper.
Here's a picture of some originals, and brackets.

Kelsey%20Hayes%20Parts%20[640x480].jpg

The one on the right is not an original to a Kelsey Hayes 4 piston caliper.
Here's a picture of some originals, and brackets.

Thanks hemi71x, I can see by your pic that the shoulders on my old ones are too short. Darn, I thought I lucked out and ended up with a couple of originals since they looked so similar, particularly with the non threaded necked down portion at the end. The reproductions look spot on, looks like I may need to order 2 more....

I think it's good that the guy up in Canada is reproducing those original style caliper mounting bolts.
At one time i thought it was absolutely necessary in using the originals on one of those KH 4 piston caliper, disc brake systems.
But in the real world, regular grade 8 bolts of the proper length, will work just fine, as probably the other two that you have worked, for however long they may have been in service.
I have been a rebuilder of those KH brake systems for over 10 years now, and checking all my records i sold 32 sets of brakes that i rebuilt.
Some had all the original caliper bolts, some had one or two replacements, and some had all four replaced with McMaster Carr grade 8 bolts, and nobody ever got back to me saying they ever had any kind of trouble with the brakes.
So just my two cents on the subject.
Use what you got, buy two more, your preference.
Don't worry about it, don't loose any sleep over it, or don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.
Jim V.
hemi71x

Sounds like sage advice Jim, think I will follow it and use the old bolts to save some money. My well could runneth dry otherwise...

Scott

There is fantastic thread in the Brake Forum where a guy did a K-H job and documented everything really well. Unfortunately it is not a sticky. He also called out a replacement for those bolts and where to get them. They are:
Fastenal Part: 18877, 7/16-20x1.75 YZ8
I went down and ordered them and they came to the store in 2 or 3 days. They seem just fine. They cost $1 each.

Last edited:
There is fantastic thread in the Brake Forum where a guy did a K-H job and documented everything really well. Unfortunately it is not a sticky. He also called out a replacement for those bolts and where to get them. They are:
Fastenal Part: 18877, 7/16-20x1.75 YZ8
I went down and ordered them and they came to the store in 2 or 3 days. They seem just fine. They cost $1 each.

Wrong.
That is false information that you are trying to pass along.
Those Fasternal bolts are nothing more than standard, grade 8, fine thread bolts.
You can get them anywhere, at a well stocked local hardware store, McMaster Carr, Fasternal, or other internet bolt, fasterner, sellers.
That Mopar, Kelsey Hayes, bolt was rather unique in whats called the "shoulder" length of the diameter, and that's why the guy up in Canada saw fit to reproduce them.
They are not absolutely necessary to be used on the Kelsey Hayes calipers to mount to the spindles.
If that was the case i would have bought those buck a piece bolts, and sold each one at $12.00, years ago, and fattened up my bank account.

Last edited:
One of the two reasons for a shoulder bolt is to resist shear. Since the forces on these bolts are in shear, the bolt with a shoulder (as supplied by the factory) is the better choice. So hemi71x is correct.

Problem is finding a set of them I messaged the guy who might have them but no replie

-
Back