Killer small block build

-
That engine was entered in EMC for many years under different configurations. Take a look at the power from previous years to get a better idea. Look at the HP/TQ per ci. Doesn't add up. J.Rob
Interesting thing that you say that. I have noticed the same following those "events" over the years.
I have made it a little hobby to trace the power curves of some of those engines (also yours, J. :) ), and the recently published engine has grown a lot stronger in the midrange than the same one from last year. Don't have the old data anymore... do they get a chance to "improve" on their engines to make a nice article?

434_mopar_short.jpg

I have entered EMC since 2009. If you look at all of the dyno results from that year 'till 2014 you will begin to see a trend. Throw 2013 --All of it out-complete anomaly-that's all I will say. Just trying to prevent people from duplicating that 707hp pump-gas (VP 101 btw) smallblock and then looking for a 15 ft branch and a 5ft rope when its down 10-15% in power. Nice graphing BTW--How'd you do that because it looks exactly like the DTS printout. J.Rob

That engine was entered in EMC for many years under different configurations. Look at the HP/TQ per ci. Doesn't add up. J.Rob
Different configurations = same engine? Same bore and stroke then, am assuming.
HP/TQ per CI doesn't add up?
How so?
They did a nice write up on it.

Last edited:
Just curious, do you think it would have benefited from a larger carb. I would have thought a 950 or 1000. For an out of the box 750, I was impressed.

Just curious, do you think it would have benefited from a larger carb. I would have thought a 950 or 1000. For an out of the box 750, I was impressed.
My 426 big block only used 630 cfm on the dyno, i have an AED 750 on mine works great very responsive on the street motor is done by 5800.

While admire the EM competition itself, the fact the sciencing is done on a dyno, for a dyno result, always makes my raise an eyebrow at some of the results. I also question "pump gas" that comes from a drum. So cool build - but put it in a car, fill that car at the local Mobil, and then run it. Then let's see what reality is.

While admire the EM competition itself, the fact the sciencing is done on a dyno, for a dyno result, always makes my raise an eyebrow at some of the results. I also question "pump gas" that comes from a drum. So cool build - but put it in a car, fill that car at the local Mobil, and then run it. Then let's see what reality is.
Agreed but all I am saying is 707hp and 650 tq from that cube combo, Never. J.Rob

Apples and Zebras--Also they are about 875hp with NO restrictor plate, close to 500 hp with restrictor plate. Again aplles to Zebras. J.Rob

But what has a NASCAR engine to do with a SB Mopar?
I am with RAMM although I know shxxx about engines...
the mentioned small block made more power and torque in the article than
the winning Hemi from BES Engines in the EMC.

Being a newer member I generally just lurk and soak things in. On this particular topic I can speak with much more knowledge than most. Having a ton of experience with 400+ci fire breathing small blocks..........that build and dyno numbers are so far off I can't even believe they were published.

A DLM/WOO engine from the 90's would put out numbers similar to what is being claimed here. Here's what went into those engines.

Block: Aluminum (Donovan, Rodeck, Ect)
Heads: Altered angle with flow numbers that could inhale that engine
Cubic Inches: 410-440
Compression Ratio: 16-18:1
Valvetrain: Belt driven, solid roller, needle bearing cam(yes cam), back cut titanium valves
Rotating assembly: Lightened everything(Oliver, Callies, Crower, ect)
Oiling: Multistage dry sump
Ignition: Vertex Mag
Induction: Mechanical stack injection
Fuel: 100% Methanol

These engines cranked out about 700-740hp at around 7800rpm. They also required a full rebuild roughly every 300 miles. So this 434 built in an OEM block(LOL) with W2's, a small hydraulic roller, wet sump, pump gas 10:1, and a 750 carb cranked out the same HP..... at 1300 less rpm?

I sure as hell ain't buying it......and I ain't that bright. QF 750? Great carb but come on, man!

I believe it. Because I've seen something very similar locally here. There's a local engine builder. Genius guy. Built a 440 small block. 780 horse before any tuning. He figures he can put it to 820 with a great tune. I imagine he got more out of it cause he used a solid cam. He's VERY tight lipped about it. But from what I know it's an R3 Ritter aluminum block. Indy heads (even though the builder recommended going W heads and figures he could have gotten up to another 50 horse with them, I guess the guy had indy heads already). And lots and lots of excellent work. Best part? 400lbs.

I will say. I am unsure of what compression/gas it runs on. But trust me. Getting close to 2hp per cube is possible to achieve on mopar small blocks.

The problem isn't hp per cube. It's the 700+ at 6400rpm. A modern Sprint cup engine might hit that. a 434ci engine producing 700+ at those rpms is not possible without forced induction or nitrous. Actually I doubt the cup engines can hit that. If I recall correctly they were pulling around 650 at that rpm a few years back.

Last edited:
The problem isn't hp per cube. It's the 700+ at 6400rpm. A modern Sprint cup engine might hit that. a 434ci engine producing 700+ at those rpms is not possible without forced induction or nitrous. Actually I doubt the cup engines can hit that. If I recall correctly they were pulling around 650 at that rpm a few years back.

Why? 6400 isn't a lot of rpms. Especially considering sprint car engines live at 7200+ rpm.

Some of the r5-p7 stuff would make 700 hp at 7000-7200 rpm. They were in the 600hp range at 6300-6400. They were also running 9000+ rpm. :)

Not sure what the latest cup stuff will pump out.

-
Back