Kmember/mtr mount Q

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
63 dart/63 kmember/64-66 A 273 mts (with the tab welded on one for a 360). Which black insulators should I use? the thin ones listed for a 64 V8 or the thick ones for the 63 slant 6. racing app & I do have the one mentioned further down, the one for the drivers side with the interlocking tabs which a little bit thinner slightly than the 63 thick ones. Thank you for your time/input

If you are trying to use the /6 centerlink, you'll need the thickest mount you have to gain the needed clearance- if you have the V8 centerlink, I think you'd want to use the thinnest mount you can to keep your center of gravity as low as possible (and provide max hood clearance). Keep in mind you may have to go thicker or thinner and/or use spacers to get the header fitment right; each individual car is a little different.

Thanks Professor. Yes I will be useing the v8 centerlink and magnum ex manifolds instead of headers (dirt track stock car class rules). Are the K members the same? (63/64 A body).

I went ahead & got both pairs of insulators (they were cheap enough china items) & the interlock one for the drivers side so I will mockup soon & go from there. thanks Professor.

I went ahead & got both pairs of insulators (they were cheap enough china items) & the interlock one for the drivers side so I will mockup soon & go from there. thanks Professor.
Remember that the firewall changed after '63 in order to make more room for the LA and clearance for the distributor... VERY tight if it clears at all. Be prepared to break out the "10lb. adjustment tool" at the very least. :)

Yes I remember that issue from the slant six of america club decades ago & iirc they said taking the wiper motor 3 bolt brace & relocating it on the inside of the firewall would take care of that (won't know till I get to that point) but since this is a circle burner I can certainly break out the 10lb adjustment tool. Thank you again Professor for your help on this issue. that's what this forum is all about. RR

I tried to install mtr/trans with the thick mount & the interlock mount & the bottom studs are too far off from the oblong mount hole(s) in the Kmember. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to go with the shorter 64 273 black biscuits?

Dang...not sure what might be wrong? Did you drill a new hole for the nub that sticks up, like in the pic of the 2710 mount? Also, if I remember right....getting the motor mounts to line up right with everything bolted up tight going is as much of a pain in an Early A as it is in a D series pickup. Maybe try leaving 1 insulator loose until you get the stud that goes thru the k frame into the slot.....then line it up and tighten it before you drop the weight all the way on it.

Yes I drilled the hole for the nub. I will get after it again bro & go a little slower this time (I was a bit distracted that day)

-
Back