Knee Knocker A/C

-

Professor Fate

Push the button, Max...
Reaction score
Has anybody found an under dash evaporator unit that fits early As decently, and minimizes the "knee knockin'" issue? I've test fitted several different units, both aftermarket and Mopar dealer-installed ones in my '66 Dart wagon and have yet to find one that I'm reasonably happy with... they're either too wide and restrict legroom too much, and/or too deep and protrude too far out from the dash. Would prefer an air only unit, but I'm beginning to think a combination air/heat unit is the only way I'll gain the necessary legroom, after removing the factory heater box.
0% chance of replacing the firewall for a factory A/C setup- just not happening.
Any suggestions? Pictures of what has worked for you would be nice, too if possible...
Thanks in advance!

What about a later 72-76 A body heat/AC box? I'm not familiar with the pre-67 cars, so I'm sure fitting it would be a challenge, but they minimized the AC duct as much as possible. Not a lot of room under the dash. A custom build might be the best option.

That's the problem-factory A/C cars had a different firewall, normally guys replace the firewall when converting to factory A/C. Plus those later boxes are a different animal than the early As. I've got a '68 A/C box in my stash that I compared to when I was building the car, but wasn't close enough for me to consider. Now this is a finished (well, are they ever??) car, so no firewall replacement or major surgery. Just hoping to find a more compact underdash unit to regain some legroom. I wouldn't even bother, but the wife likes the A/C and it's her car, so... You know the rest of the story!

Has anybody found an under dash evaporator unit that fits early As decently, and minimizes the "knee knockin'" issue? I've test fitted several different units, both aftermarket and Mopar dealer-installed ones in my '66 Dart wagon and have yet to find one that I'm reasonably happy with... they're either too wide and restrict legroom too much, and/or too deep and protrude too far out from the dash. Would prefer an air only unit, but I'm beginning to think a combination air/heat unit is the only way I'll gain the necessary legroom, after removing the factory heater box.
0% chance of replacing the firewall for a factory A/C setup- just not happening.
Any suggestions? Pictures of what has worked for you would be nice, too if possible...
Thanks in advance!

There are all kinds on EBay.

New Universal Underdash AC Evaporator 12V Heat & Cool Black | eBay

For sure- those are some of the ones I have tried, but like I said they all seem too wide for comfortable legroom, or are so deep that they protrude too far out from the dash. Not much room in front of the factory heater box. The Mopar dealer-added units (Aire-Temps & Cool-Air)even had the blower motors mounted off-angle from the horizontal to clear the heater box and hoses and gain back a little clearance, but even then it's still not what I would call good. That's why I questioned if anyone has found one that fits better than others, or if my only option is going to be removing the factory heater box and going to a combination heat/cool box like the one you posted.

Last edited:
For sure- those are some of the ones I have tried, but like I said they all seem too wide for comfortable legroom, or are so deep that they protrude too far out from the dash. Not much room in front of the factory heater box. The Mopar dealer-added units (Aire-Temps & Cool-Air)even had the blower motors mounted off-angle from the horizontal to clear the heater box and hoses and gain back a little clearance, but even then it's still not what I would call good. That's why I questioned if anyone has found one that fits better than others, or if my only option is going to be removing the factory heater box and going to a combination heat/cool box like the one you posted.

I thought that was AC only. My apologies. They have AC only units on there too and they are smaller.

I thought that was AC only. My apologies. They have AC only units on there too and they are smaller.
Yeah, I just can't seem to find one that fits an early A decently. I've put different Ebay units in my Sweptline and other vehicles and they fit and worked great. Just not having much luck with my wagon.

Yeah, I just can't seem to find one that fits an early A decently. I've put different Ebay units in my Sweptline and other vehicles and they fit and worked great. Just not having much luck with my wagon.

Here's a thought.......have you thought about mounting it on the roof in the back? You could easily relocate the control switches in the dash. Of course, the AC lines would need to be long, but they are tough and can stand that much of a run.

Like an RV? That could work, but then I'd be tempted to paint it to match Cousin Eddie's Winnebago... :)
Nah, I'm not that desperate!
Although those swamp coolers that hang on the passenger window can look kind of cool... almost like a JATO unit!

Like an RV? That could work, but then I'd be tempted to paint it to match Cousin Eddie's Winnebago... :)
Nah, I'm not that desperate!
Although those swamp coolers that hang on the passenger window can look kind of cool... almost like a JATO unit!

Yeah those are pretty neato. A couple of companies make um new.

What about Vintage air ? There units are pretty compact. My brother has one in his 57 3100 pick up and their dash are thin and his unit sits well tucked up , mind you he has little room left where the glove box is. Just enough room for a pair of gloves that’s it.

It was 1965 and not many cars, especially "compact cars" had air conditioning. 1965 was Chrysler's first attempt at installing factory air/heat/defrost systems in their compact line. At the time the units were quite compact in comparison to the aftermarket units available. So if you're expecting an a/c unit to be virtually hidden as in today's cars, or even late '60's and early '70's cars, forget it. One problem is the wiper motor and arms take up valuable under dash space in early A's. Chrysler rectified that in '67 by placing the motor in the engine compartment, but for the time, I think the factory unit was well designed and reasonably compact in the interior.
The massive, heavy, vibrating, power robbing mess of a compressor they used is another story! :wtf:

It was 1965 and not many cars, especially "compact cars" had air conditioning. 1965 was Chrysler's first attempt at installing factory air/heat/defrost systems in their compact line. At the time the units were quite compact in comparison to the aftermarket units available. So if you're expecting an a/c unit to be virtually hidden as in today's cars, or even late '60's and early '70's cars, forget it. One problem is the wiper motor and arms take up valuable under dash space in early A's. Chrysler rectified that in '67 by placing the motor in the engine compartment, but for the time, I think the factory unit was well designed and reasonably compact in the interior.
The massive, heavy, vibrating, power robbing mess of a compressor they used is another story! :wtf:
Agreed. Too late to patch in factory air, the dealer-installed underdash unit will probably remain in the car- it's actually less intrusive than most new "small" aftermarket units. I was just hoping that something more compact may have come along in the last 55 years! The real estate under there is definitely at a premium.

DSC00354.JPG

Actually I have an aftermarket heater / AC combo that is MUCH more compact and less intrusive than the original. I bought it NOS privately who did not use it in a project. It requires no holes in the firewall for the blower, and is much smaller. I'm planning on using a blower hole cover plate as the hoses entrance I believe it was a vintage air unit. Has defroster outlets as well

I removed a Mid 60’s Kool King Charioteer A/C Unit from my 63 Dart. Google it. I didn't have space issues. I thought I took pics when it was installed but can't find them. The unit is in the my trunk if you'd be interested in size, dimensions, etc

I installed Vintage Air in my 66 GT. See A/C in a 1966 Dart GT with 360 for pictures including the under dash view and parts numbers. I have not had any issues with leg clearance on the passenger side. There is also a '3 vent' version they have in the Builders Series that is even thinner. The unit I had provides A/C and heat (like I need it in Florida :) ). Hope this helps.

That's the problem-factory A/C cars had a different firewall, normally guys replace the firewall when converting to factory A/C. Plus those later boxes are a different animal than the early As. I've got a '68 A/C box in my stash that I compared to when I was building the car, but wasn't close enough for me to consider. Now this is a finished (well, are they ever??) car, so no firewall replacement or major surgery. Just hoping to find a more compact underdash unit to regain some legroom. I wouldn't even bother, but the wife likes the A/C and it's her car, so... You know the rest of the story!
I bought a factory unit from a guy in Birmingham, AL. I had the same concerns about the firewall. He cut the firewall out of the donor car so i could have a pattern for the holes. I only had to drill a couple extra bolt holes and the holes for the a/c lines and the hole for the fan was bigger. I just had to open it up a little. This is on a 65 Dart. I used a condenser from Classic Air. It isn't as large as the radiator and I think it is a little on the small size. It doesn't cool as well as I'd like, but it's a convert. Probably never will cool well here in Mississippi.

-
Back